AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BigChill Avatar
BigChill Silver Member Big Chill
Norwood, MA, USA   USA
One last question - for now...

As part of this work, I am reading through the Bentley manual. In the section on replacing the front spring, it tells the mechanic to remove the trunnion before taking the spring pan off. I do not see why this is needed? My spring came out with the trunnion still installed.

I will take the trunnion off for a rebuild too, but I am just trying to understand things better.

As usual, thanks in advance,

Big Chill

'75 TR6 slowly coming back from the dead...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Not sure why you need to rebuild the trunnion but if the sleeve is frozen your going to have to soak it for days unless you want to buy a new one all I can say from experience is that if you don't buy or make the proper spring compressor your not going to get it back in look it up on youtube

BigChill Avatar
Norwood, MA, USA   USA
Ralph,

I have the spring compressor. It works like a charm.

Thanks for the feedback.

Big Chill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502453 by BigChill One last question - for now...

As part of this work, I am reading through the Bentley manual. In the section on replacing the front spring, it tells the mechanic to remove the trunnion before taking the spring pan off. I do not see why this is needed? My spring came out with the trunnion still installed.

I will take the trunnion off for a rebuild too, but I am just trying to understand things better.

As usual, thanks in advance,

Big Chill --- I never found it necessary to use the spring compressor so long as the weight of the engine can keep the chassis from rising when the jack is used. The order in which to replacing a spring is the same as when you took it out, only in reverse. I do use a short block of 2x4 cut to fit up into the spring pan while compressing the spring with the floor jack during installation. If you are not comfortable unless a spring compressor is used, then by all means...

Dick

Krom Avatar
Krom Paul K
San Rafael, CA, USA   USA
If your objective is to remove the spring pan, I would remove the upper ball joint (two bolts through control arms) while supporting the spring pan and remove the trunnion assembly so the entire vertical link is out of the way. Removing the pan is possible without the above procedure, just much more difficult. I would remove the vertical link/trunnion prior to removing the spring, just for access.

BigChill Avatar
Norwood, MA, USA   USA
A bit more information.

I am dis-assembling the entire front end. It is all 30+ years old. I MUST replace the rear inner lower A arm bracket, so all bushing and hardware are being replaced. I have not done this kind of work in a long time, but I have done it. I used to use a jack, but prefer the spring compressor, which I have.

I was just really curious as to why Bentley wanted the mechanic to take the trunnion apart when replacing the spring....

Thanks for the support and advice, as usual.

Big Chill

DerekM Avatar
DerekM Silver Member Derek McAllister
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
You definitely don't need to do anything to the trunnion in order to drop the spring pan (I just did it last spring). Not sure why Bentley states this.

Derek McAllister
Toronto, Ontario
1974 TR6 Sapphire Blue/Shadow Blue

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
I replaced the front springs and shocks a few weeks ago. I just removed the spring pan. Not sure why one would to remove the trunnions and/or ball joints...unnecessary work for nothing. Used the tool from Moss.

SR
73 TR6

BigChill Avatar
Norwood, MA, USA   USA
Regarding dropping the trunnion - that is what I thought, just wanted to be sure I was not missing something.

Be well, everyone,

Big Chill

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links