Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I started the conversion kit today. The supplier is closed now so I can't ask them the question. First, the bracket that you bolt on was about impossible to mount since the bracket top is up against the car body/wheel well. Second, the shock doesn't go from the lower shock mount up to the bracket; it's a couple of inches short. I can jack up the trailing arm and install the shock but it seems that if the body lifted the shock would/could be strained possibly resulting in shock mount damage. Am I just being paranoid?

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Chris
I did the tube shock conversion some years ago. I went through my files and can't find the supplier from which it came. Mine was a direct bolt-in with KYB gas shocks. Wish I could be more help. Not sure if I would do it again but that said I have had no issues. Some have complained about cracking where it mounts to the frame but that is most likely due to the lack of/ or deterioration of bump stops on the trailing arm. If the shock is allowed to bottom out all that force is directed to the mount.
Mike C

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
arcom Avatar
arcom Josh W
New Bern, NC, USA   USA
the shock doesn't go from the lower shock mount up to the bracket; it's a couple of inches short.

Is that with the shock fully extended? If so, can't you jack up the trailing arm a bit to bring it closer to the bracket?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 08:28 AM by arcom.

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
If so, can't you jack up the trailing arm a bit to bring it closer to the bracket? I think that I said that, and yes, the shock is fully extended to the best of my knowledge. That's the problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 08:48 AM by chris.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
As always, thanks Mike. I would hope that this car never has the rear end extended on the road. But what about with it up on a hoist? Is the hanging of the rear from the shocks a concern? I'll check the trailing arms for bump stops when I get back; I'm leaving shortly to go look at a 66 Coupe DeVille in Sweet Home.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
hogan1945 Avatar
hogan1945 Silver Member Douglas F
Woodbury, MN, USA   USA
1968 Pontiac GTO "Tempest"
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6
1976 Triumph TR6    & more
I did the shock converison several years ago, and went back to chamber shocks. Reason was, i did the the converison along with the competitoin rear spring converison. the combo of both made my 6 ride really stiff. That type of work is if you want to rally your 6 etc: Now with just the stiffer springs, and the chamber shocks my ride is GREAT, and my 6 exhaust does not bottom out on those drive way entry curbs!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-09 06:09 PM by hogan1945.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Yeah. Iwent with the conversion because someone said it would give a better ride. I don't have the spring you do, so it might work like yours works with just the spring. I wish I had just ordered from Peter Caldwell!.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
esmith Ed Smith
Knoxville, Tenn, USA   USA
I changed from the conversion you are using to the Ratco shock in coil spring. The first change was with out issues, however the ride was a little rough. I am very pleased with the Ratco setup. I installed there rear sway bar at the same time which is also a big plus.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502094 by chris Yeah. Iwent with the conversion because someone said it would give a better ride. I don't have the spring you do, so it might work like yours works with just the spring. I wish I had just ordered from Peter Caldwell!.
If a better ride means a harsher ride, I think you'll accomplish that with straight line tube shocks on the trailing arms.

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Has anyone installed bumpstops to go along with this kit? It is sold by BPNW.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
I am not sure if the bump stops with your kit are the same as those from the normal TR6 supply sources. But the several ones I bought over the years were poor quality rubber and broke down in only a few months. The ones I now have are poly and were sourced from Summit Racing. I did need to switch from NC thread to NF thread but they seem to be lasting longer.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
None were included in the kit. Good to know about the deterioration though. Thanks!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
If it's the body install vs the kit that installs on the stock shock location...I have a set of instructions. I've a brand new SPAX set I'm trying to sell...they have instructions.

Also have the other kind...also Spax shocks...trying to sell.

Todd

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
So after days of playing with the 66 Caddy, I got back out to the 6. Under the diff is an 8" diameter oil puddle. Evidently the pinion seal is so bad that with the rear in the air, the gear oil just runs out. Merry Christmas to me.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Deck the floors with pools of oil

Fa la la la

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links