AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

13 inch dished steering wheel
  This topic is about my 1973 Triumph TR6
jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Has any one tried a 13 inch dished steering wheel on their tr6 , I am looking for more leg room and wonder if this will help with that. Any input would be great. Thanks Jordan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
This is the 13" outside diameter wheel I made. although not dished it still makes a big difference getting in and out of my car. I also find it easier to steer than the original wheel.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Attachments:
IMG_1927.JPG    54.1 KB
IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG    46.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
I just purchased a Moto Lita 13" flat wheel, in transit as I type. A Christmas present from my dear wife.
I bought 13" for the same reason.

Andy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have always used a flat 13" wheel with our Triumphs.

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Wow I wish my interior look like yours Tom. Shes a looker

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
Thanks Jordan, for the compliment. The reason I showed the interior was so you could see how the 13" wheel fit in the car. Hope it helped.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

tr6nitjulius Avatar
tr6nitjulius Julius Abellera
Riverside, So Cali, USA   USA
I've been owned by the same 1972 TR6 for 38 yrs bought in 1979 from original owner with non-wood 13" flat steering on it early 2000s installed molita 14" late 2000s installed molita 13" flat last couple years molita 13" dish may be age related issue eye rolling smiley Actually liked the aesthetics of the 13" flat better but the 13" dish allows more leg room as steering wheel sets approx 1" further from where mounted to steering column resulting in more Leg Room.

I'm 5'9" 160 lbs have my seat all the way back on track with back/headrest tilted back prefer sitting low as I can in seat that's been refurbished with extra seat cushion and padding added for lumbar support as with the majority of TR6 drivers driving with 14" steering wheel right leg position tilted to the side of steering wheel resting against dash: side pads/ board support bracket pretty much pinned in that position over the years creates a strain on lower leg (akin to left leg stronger due to clutch usesmiling smiley 13" flat steering wheel the 1" difference allowed not as drastic tilt

At first didn't think there would be much leg room/comfort difference between flat vs dish but found the 13" dish steering wheel allows my hip/leg/ankle to be perpendicular (seat/leg/gas pedal) results less strain more leg room. By no means technical but TR6 driver's hands on I have one point of view options I can drive with my right leg against the dash side pads/board support and move leg back & forth 2" in line so inside of left leg just below knee touches steering lock and ignition switch housing and when right leg in straight position (as TR6 speedo 70 mph) approx 1/2" clearance between bottom of steering wheel and top of my leg.

Sportin' and happy with the 13" flat until I sat in buddy's TR6 with 13" dish not a drastic difference but enough to warrant the change may not be a lot of difference in steering/turning but inch or two regarding leg room in a TR6thumbs up

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502447 by tr6nitjulius I'm 5'9" 160 lbs have my seat all the way back on track with back/headrest tilted back prefer sitting low as I can in seat that's been refurbished with extra seat cushion and padding added for lumbar support as with the majority of TR6 drivers driving with 14" steering wheel right leg position tilted to the side of steering wheel resting against dash: side pads/ board support bracket pretty much pinned in that position over the years creates a strain on lower leg (akin to left leg stronger due to clutch usesmiling smiley 13" flat steering wheel the 1" difference allowed not as drastic tilt

Sportin' and happy with the 13" flat until I sat in buddy's TR6 with 13" dish not a drastic difference but enough to warrant the change may not be a lot of difference in steering/turning but inch or two regarding leg room in a TR6thumbs up

I am also 5'9" but closer to 200 lbs. The problem I have is being disabled and do not have the leg strength needed to opeerate the clutch. I helped that by adding a remote power booster to the clutch hydraulic system and reduced the push required to operate the clutch by about 1/2. Now I have no trouble with it and the 13" wheel helps both that problem and with getting in and out of the car.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Thanks for the input. I ordered a 13 inch Mountey model 33spcw . Seen same in a couple of pictures decided good bet for 6ft ,115 kg

Thanks Jordan

Attachments:
33SPCW mountney.jpg    40.5 KB
33SPCW  mountney.jpg

tr6nitjulius Avatar
tr6nitjulius Julius Abellera
Riverside, So Cali, USA   USA
In reply to # 1502488 by jordan k Thanks for the input. I ordered a 13 inch Mountey model 33spcw . Seen same in a couple of pictures decided good bet for 6ft ,115 kg

Thanks Jordan

Looks to be a slight variation where spokes meet inner wheel indication to me you went for the dish vs flat think in pursuit of leg room you will be happy with difference between the 2

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
I received my 13 inch wheel today from Legacy in GB. Its hard to tell it from a Moto Lita except it does not have a name on it. Only 99 Pounds delivered. Really happy with it. Jordan

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Can you post some pics, my 13" Moto Lita arrived but can't see it till Xmas....

Andy

In reply to # 1503322 by jordan k I received my 13 inch wheel today from Legacy in GB. Its hard to tell it from a Moto Lita except it does not have a name on it. Only 99 Pounds delivered. Really happy with it. Jordan

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Here is a couple of pics, one showing the dish amount. Jordan

Attachments:
mountney 13 inch dished wheel.jpg    23.7 KB
mountney 13 inch dished wheel.jpg

wheel side view.jpg    20.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Looks good Jordan, I figured the dish would bring the wheel too close for me. I'm 6'1" and I like the wheel at arms length.
Mine cost around 3 times what yours did but and I bet it does the same job...confused smiley Oh well!

Enjoy it
Andy

In reply to # 1503339 by jordan k Here is a couple of pics, one showing the dish amount. Jordan

jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Well Andy, You did go for the Moto lita wheel .Apple always costs more than Samsung. I bet your wheel will be a beauty .When the driving weather returns to us maybe well see you on the road and see the real difference between the two brands. Happy Holidays Jordan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links