TR6 and Lexus 1UZ V8 engine

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wicked Ace Mike Hickey
Lansdale, PA, USA   USA
You guys are thinking all wrong here. If you are going to that trouble to put something big, heavy and overpowered into such a small light (and flimsy) car, why think not about a modern GM or Ford 4 cylinder? If you look there are enough out there that are rated at or near 200 HP normally aspirated. Add turbo or supercharger and you could easily be over 250 HP(twice or better than originally spec'd). Parts are easily available and relatively affordable.
The weight saving on the front would help many times over with brake and suspension mods to support such a transplant. No good having a big V8 if the car plows through turns or nose dives stopping.
Think of the fun having a revvy motor in you British sports car would be. Like getting back to the original intent.
I've been kicking around a Sunbeam Alpine for such a project. Scare the crap out of the Tiger crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 04:52 AM by Wicked Ace.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
George, Western Cape, South Africa   ZAF
1963 Morris Mini Traveller "Moritz"
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
Looking at the picture, I thought you did it in the meantime.
The Lexus engine has 216kW and over 400Nm torque.
This calls again for some extra work on the brakes. Ventilated disks in the front and maybe disks at the back as well.

140421302 Steven Borabeck
PITTSBORO, NC, USA   USA
I bought my TR6 new in 1972 and I don't care what anyone says I am sick of the clutch. I have always said it must have been designed by the same person who designed the catapult and if I was attacked by hordes of savages I could use it for that purpose. I had often thought about boosting the hydraulic pressure, but never seriously investigated how. I would love more details on how you did this. For example how did you select the booster?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zray Avatar
zray Z Ray R
Bartlesville, OK, USA   USA
In reply to # 1488290 by Tote The heart of any car is it's engine. Swapping out the TR6 engine for another type is like those who put Chevy 350's in Jaguars. Though cool because its different, it totally lacks the driving experience of the TR6, you now have a hot-rod not a TR6. Transmission swaps, TR6 engine upgrades, and suspension upgrades still allow the TR6 driver the feel of a TR6 with just that much more edge. Sure the Alpine became the Tiger and the AC Bristol became the Shelby Cobra, but those engine swaps created a new car and name..........."

I'm with you 100% . Over on the Mustang forums I'm continuingly railing against modifications that destroy the vintage driving experience. But usually people think a 5 speed or electronic ignition or efi fuel delivery is no big deal, not realizing how these things diminish the time machine experience they are already enjoying fully. Sometimes I wonder why some people even want a vintage car.. it seems to be only a visual or "posing" desire to be seen in the vintage sheet metal. With no appreciation for the value of the vintage driving experience. As you say, once the engine, or transmissions, etc. are discarded, the value of the vintage experience is degraded.

Z

PS. the Cobra and Tiger were completely different cars than their predecessors. Not just new engines. Some of the sheet metal remained, but suspension, rear end, and frame were all redesigned to accomatate the power increase

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
I´m flabbergasted by some of the comments.

Although I agree that the original vintage feel will be lost, I don't follow the argument that a V8 engine is a naughty thing to do. V8's where installed in the TR8 and the Stag. I guess it is the idea to put a Japanese engine in a British sports car that disturbs the people. A Leyland (Rover) engine would then be OK?
As for the weight story the Lexus 1UZ is lighter then the 6 cylinder 364 lbs vs. 460, so nosediving into corners is not an issue.

I converted my last TR6 from Lucas to a modern EFI and used the original TB's, take a look at my engine bay pic further up. Very much stock and it was well appreciated by the local TR peers. The fuel consumption dropped from 14-15 l/100km to just 9 and with the internal engine upgrades I came close to the factory bhp (which as a pipe dream).

BTW, I'm judging originality of TR4 to TR6 cars on Concourse at the Triumph Nationals and I´m pretty aware of what's acceptable and what not.

My questions are put forward to get information about space issues and probably body modifications (which I don't like).

If you have no meaningful contribution but only lectures about how disgraceful the idea is, just swallow and don't comment.

zray Avatar
zray Z Ray R
In reply to # 1488789 by w147ik ".......If you have no meaningful contribution but only lectures about how disgraceful the idea is, just swallow and don't comment.

Sorry, that's not how free speech works. Telling people to be quiet usually has the opposite result.

I for one never said modifying a classic car was disgraceful. But it certainly can, and will be, argued and discussed that such modifications diminishes the elegant classic car experience, and you might as well be driving a modern car with 1960's sheet metal. If all one wants from their classic is the visual appearance, well , then that's fine with me. I know that modern modification came at a heavy price. One loses the visceral connection to the era the car was manufactured with every modern concession to convenience and safety. If that's what you or anyone else wants from their "classic" expereince, that's your privilege. Just don't tell me how beautiful your classic is. Beautiful it may be, but classic it ain't.

With all due respect, Swallow that, pal.

In reply to # 1488789 by w147ik "........Although I agree that the original vintage feel will be lost, I don't follow the argument that a V8 engine is a naughty thing to do. V8's where installed in the TR8 and the Stag....."

We weren't taking about factory V-8's, were we ? There could be ten million classic TR-8's running around, but that wouldn't make a V-8 TR6 or TR-4 any more of a classic. As the e type crowd says, a V-8 in a Jag turns a classic car into a "lump".

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 10:55 AM by zray.

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
In reply to # 1488810 by zray

Sorry, that's not how free speech works. Telling people to be quiet usually has the opposite result.

With all due respect, Swallow that, pal.

As I wrote, I asked for technical advise and not for comments if it`s appropriate or not.

If that is not understood or a problem just don't comment, or start a new thread.
With all due respect, I´m not your pal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-29 01:31 PM by w147ik.

zray Avatar
zray Z Ray R
We could be pals if we didn't lose our sense of humor somewhere.

Not trying to personally attack you or anyone else who likes to modify their cars. You've got to expect to people to chime in with their unsolicited, and perhaps unwanted, opinions about everything, not just your particular question. That's the nature of the internet, and of special interest forums.

I've found the best way to deal with unwanted internet advice, or posts that stray off the intended subject, is to quit reading them once I see they aren't helping me. Perhaps that strategy might work for you as well.

Like many other classic car enthusiasts, I can appreciate a well done modified car on one level, while at the same time, feel some regret for the loss of another stock classic. I've had both types of classics , from when these cars were new, thru to today. Usually after a few months or years, I get tired of the hot rod modified cars, but never tire of the unaltered classic car. Of course that's just me, others may have different sensibilities.

Z

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Heinrich,
I scratch my head sometimes with all the comments made about your car...I like the 'classic' experience unless it's a bad one and I absolutely love the hot rod experience! We use period correct parts as well as modern to make our classics our cars, no one else's and I can't wait until I drop a 333hp BMW M3 engine with 5 or 6 speed in mine. Why am I in this hobby? I'm in it to enjoy myself and if other people appreciate that or not, that's ok by me. The Lexus engine is a fine example of a quality engine and if it fits and you want to do it, then do it...please post pictures so I can drool on them!
As far as Cobras are concerned, the AC Ace could have had just about any V8 in it, but old Shel had a relationship with Ford so that's what he stuffed in there. For a bastard of a car they kinda hold their price pretty well...I just wish I had bought one I looked at in 1970 for the $2500 asking price, I would be rich or dead!
Rut

w147ik Avatar
w147ik Heinrich Koncki
2001 BMW Z3 "Wife's Car"
In reply to # 1488847 by zray We could be pals if we didn't lose our sense of humor somewhere.

Not trying to personally attack you or anyone else who likes to modify their cars. You've got to expect to people to chime in with their unsolicited, and perhaps unwanted, opinions about everything, not just your particular question. That's the nature of the internet, and of special interest forums.

I've found the best way to deal with unwanted internet advice, or posts that stray off the intended subject, is to quit reading them once I see they aren't helping me. Perhaps that strategy might work for you as well.

Like many other classic car enthusiasts, I can appreciate a well done modified car on one level, while at the same time, feel some regret for the loss of another stock classic. I've had both types of classics , from when these cars were new, thru to today. Usually after a few months or years, I get tired of the hot rod modified cars, but never tire of the unaltered classic car. Of course that's just me, others may have different sensibilities.

Z

Fine with me, I just wish guys commenting would go through the effort to look up someones profile and cars, current ones or previous.

I just don't like to be mistaken for a cowboy with no respect for Classics.

miked187 Mike D
Sonora, CA, USA   USA
created an account just to respond to this older thread

had a 92 SC400 and I *loved* that 1UZ motor, like butter

Have a 74.5 -6 that I was transplanting a motor into, found a donor early 1UZ motor and had it installed into the frame (took the tub off). Too bit up top, wouldn't fit the body work around it. Was gutted. Might have pictures around somewhere. I'm back to a late 90s SBC install. Wish I could have made it work.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Heinrich,
Last Monday a friend of mine and I visited his sons, one who is a certified MB mechanic who also has an interest in fast bikes and turbo engines, and another who builds drag and restomod cars using the Toyota 2JZ-GTE. He has a 9 second 1200 hp drag car that he campaigns and his daily driver is a Volvo 240 with an 800 hp version of the same motor. After discussing the pros and cons of the M3 swap I’m leaning more toward the Toyota motor because they are cheap and plentiful, smooth and reliable even with higher hp. One of the main incentives for this swap is the fact that Sam has done many of these and I’ll have the benefit of his experience. I’m using a TR6 frame on a TR4a body and want it to look original or more like a TR250 and have brakes to match, and possibly electric power steering, maybe AC.
I won’t be able to start working on this project until my shop is finished in June, but I can do research and design in preparation for the swap. I’m looking for 250-300 rwhp, so I may be able to get by with the 2JZ-GE. I would think that this straight 6 is plentiful in your area and the dimensions would make it a better fit.
Rut

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
One could buy three used 200+hp BMW fuel injected inline sixes with attached Getrag 5 speed boxes for about the price of upgrading to triple Webers. Something to consider.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Dan B Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV, USA   USA
TR6 might be a little narrow to fit the Quad-cam engine into. I have one in my TR7 and it is AWESOME! Highly recommended it you can make it fit.

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
this is reminding me intrigues in the Balkans, infighting at the POLITBURO...
let the man have his journey, long as it doesn't happen to my car....
I removed the accesory rocker arm oily feed line. Oil reaching number 1 rocker just fine,
and mysteriously the oil consumption was greatly reduced.
I threw BP6ES out and dug out my collection of champion n9y, gave up on pertronix ignition,
went back to points..Points and condensor are not stock, check out Swiftune.UK...(i have no
fiduciary interest in them, money flows just one way...
At last she runs fine...I am considering chucking the spin on oily adaptor and digging out
original side hanging canister... and messier oil changes...
Every step backward seems to have improved the functions of the engine.
But I can understand restless nature of Mr. Koncki. He seeks Change.
Only thru Change is progress made and new Empires formed, it is thru
corruption this occurs.
Good luck, Heinrich.
I would be concerned with the added torque tearing up the differential such bits.
From reading your entries I am sure you already know all that stuff.
Some are engineers, some are curators.1974 tr6
wes

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links