AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

5 speed emblem
  This topic is about my 1975 Triumph TR6
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
To all the 5 speed Toyota conversion guys has anyone made a plaque or emblem that denotes a 5 speed Herman gives you a sticker saying H V D A 5 SPEED was looking for something more substantial maybe in chrome plastic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1483460 by rjc157 To all the 5 speed Toyota conversion guys has anyone made a plaque or emblem that denotes a 5 speed Herman gives you a sticker saying H V D A 5 SPEED was looking for something more substantial maybe in chrome plastic

Ralph --- Not so obvious, but here's one idea.

Dick

Attachments:
Dash + 5 speed shift knob.JPG    44.7 KB
Dash + 5 speed shift knob.JPG

jtmjbda Jeff Chappell
Herriman, UT, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Mrs Thatcher"
Now THAT is the ultimate coolness! Did you dig up a shift knob that fits, or just replace the insert on your original knob?
Thanks
Jeff
ps I put the HVDA conversion in my TR6; been up to my eyeballs in other stuff, so just had one short drive around the 'hood to make sure all was good with the trans.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dicta dick Taylor
In reply to # 1501268 by jtmjbda Now THAT is the ultimate coolness! Did you dig up a shift knob that fits, or just replace the insert on your original knob?
Thanks
Jeff
ps I put the HVDA conversion in my TR6; been up to my eyeballs in other stuff, so just had one short drive around the 'hood to make sure all was good with the trans.

When picking up my 5 speed conversion kit I saw it lying on Herman's bench. He said I could have it if I wanted it. (Herman is known for his generosity and unselfishness with anything TR related). I will ask him where he got this and pass it along.
Yes, the internal threads on this knob are the same as the original TR6 knob.
Meanwhile, Walmart has some spiffy aluminum "racing" knobs with the 5 speed pattern on it. Check it out!

Dick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 01:16 PM by dicta.

Attachments:
5 speed shifter knob.JPG    33.4 KB
5 speed shifter knob.JPG

jtmjbda Jeff Chappell
Herriman, UT, USA   USA
Thankssmiling smiley
Jeff
ps Yes, Herman is an amazing guy--hope to drive the TR to CA someday and meet him.

dicta dick Taylor
In reply to # 1501546 by jtmjbda Thankssmiling smiley
Jeff
ps Yes, Herman is an amazing guy--hope to drive the TR to CA someday and meet him.

By now many people in the TR crowd know that Herman has passed away. Very sad. Apparently from pneumonia. He was 82. Helena said she would let me know if and when there is any more information to be passed along as to services for him.

Dick

jtmjbda Jeff Chappell
Herriman, UT, USA   USA
Aw man, how sadsad smiley He was always willing to talk me through the minor questions I had while installing the conversion kit, and I was really looking forward to driving over to CA sometime to visit him.
RIP Herman, and condolences to Helena--quite an amazing young couple!
Jeff

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
could 3D print something in metal like this that I made.
depending on where and how you want to put it on the car

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

Attachments:
IMG_20170114_122440503.jpg    23.9 KB
IMG_20170114_122440503.jpg

jtmjbda Jeff Chappell
Herriman, UT, USA   USA
That would be pretty cool, Doug--maybe one on the rear end below the Triumph logo, and one for the dashboard. How big a dent would something like that put in my piggy bank?
Thanks
Jeff

1147cc Avatar
1147cc Silver Member Douglas Hansen
Westminster, SC, USA   USA
This part ran about $50 in stainless steel but unpolished so you can see the texture... im sure it could be sanded down and chromed if needed but since its SS I would think a it would look fine once sanded

what would you want?
"HDVA"
"5 Speed"

In reply to # 1503438 by jtmjbda That would be pretty cool, Doug--maybe one on the rear end below the Triumph logo, and one for the dashboard. How big a dent would something like that put in my piggy bank?
Thanks
Jeff

Douglas Hansen
New Parts; Engine Rebuilds; Sheet Metal work and Advice.
http://www.1147cc.com

johnnied john donnelly
Ramona, CA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph TR4A "Bankruptcy"
On another email list it was told that Herman passed away the other day from complications of pneumonia.

The HVDA signage is a great idea.

johnnied john donnelly
Ramona, CA, USA   USA
1967 Triumph TR4A "Bankruptcy"
I like ... HVDA5

Stainless is nice, but chrome would match the other letters better.

Damson1971 Mike L
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
So has anyone heard what will become of his 5 speed conversion kits? I was thinking of going to that for my 6. Also anyone that has done this conversion, where did you get the transmission at. I've been watching Ebay, but I'm kind of leery buying one that I don't really know or can trust what's going on inside. Now with him gone, is there another company out there that sells a good conversion?

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
I'm sure someone is going to pick up the conversion maybe whatever stock he has left is all that there is going to be call the wife see what she says did mine last year Herman was a lot of help with some of the small details the kit is actually very complete the instruction book I think is more help than the vid picked my tranny up off of craigs list . the conversion is easy if you have a lift and if you have some help for me I found the hardest part was lining up the tranny to the motor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I also have just completed the HVDA 5 speed conversion and really enjoyed Herman’s support during the process. I feel like we had become friends through the discussions and I will miss him.
That said, it was not really difficult and that comes from someone that had never even changed the fluid in a transmission. My questions for Herman were pretty basic because of my inexperience.
A friend had passed on an email from Helena, his wife, just before Christmas. She said that she had plenty of orders, but did not want to fill them since she did not have any expertise to support the tech questions. She said she wants to sell the business as that is what Herman would have wanted her to do.
I hope someone in the triumph restoration world will buy it and continue offering his conversion. It is truly a remarkable product every bit as pretty as the products that Richard Good offers! Richard, this might be a good addition for you.
As far as the fear of the transmission purchase is concerned, that is probably valid in that I purchased two that both needed rebuilding. The good news is that most qualified transmission shops can rebuild a Toyota 5 speed will only charge around $400 to rebuild it plus another $100 in parts on eBay. It just makes sense that spending $2,000 on the conversion product and several hours labor that another $500 for the peace of mind knowing it is going to work is a good idea.
I remember Herman telling me that after I did that, I should get at least 350,000 miles out of it. That should take me out until about age 325.
Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster