TRExp

TR6 Tech Forum

TR Rear Brake Drum Braking Physics/Logic?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
AllanJ71MGB Allan Johnson
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Hi Milt,

I took the clevis pin out of the hand brake lever when I did mine. I also had the shoes off the assembly so I had lots of room to work. That allowed the lever to swing. Will that make a difference?

I put mine on in order..... 56-57-58. It was a mess. I had to order a new set as I bent 58 terribly.

Poolboy said to do 57 last. He's had TR6's for years and I am new to mine. I trust him.

Now that you asked your question, I am not 100% on which ones are 56 and 57. Using Poolboy's method I was thinking last night that it would make more sense to have the big plate with the 90 bends on first and then to slide the notched ones on last (in the middle) since it doesn't have bends.

I just looked at the factory repair manual and verified that the plates go 56 pointing backwards, 57 forwards, 58 backwards. I attached a screenshot.

I don't have a pic handy of my install. I know I did one side at a time and used the other side as a reference. If you want to wait I can jack the car up tonight and get you a good pic. LMK.

-Allan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
ScreenHunter_272 Dec. 11 12.49.jpg    43.4 KB
ScreenHunter_272 Dec. 11 12.49.jpg

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Hi Again Milt,

(See above)

So, I went to TRF to see if their images have any better detail and they did not. However, it suggests to read the factory manual for a successful installation.

I attached it. It clearly says the ones with the tabs go next to the back plate tabs facing out pointing to the rear of the car. The one with the notches next facing forwards then the small locking plate. So facing Backwards-Forwards-Backwards.

FYI, I would not put the boot on while installing the locking plates. The rubber makes it too hard to get the plates in and if you get it misaligned the wheel cylinder will have trouble sliding and tear the boot apart. Just slide it through the lever arm and leave it hanging. Be sure to install it fully before attaching the brake line.

Factory manual says to install them in order..... I would not after Poolboy's suggestion. If you do as Poolboy says and have the 56 and 58 in position, 57 should enter moving forwards locking the whole assembly in. You'll need to hold 56 and 58 in place using some ?screwdrivers? pushing backwards (another set of hands would be helpful) while you drive 57 forwards until the notches click. I wish I had Poolboy's advice when I did mine. Makes so much more sense!

Tuck the boot in
Install the brake line
Maybe adjust your handbrakes on both sides? A good time as any..... with some anti-seize on the adjuster bolts in the bracket.
Install the handbrake clevis pin
Bleed

And, apologies on the bum advice on the order (based on that bad pic!)

-Allan

Attachments:
ScreenHunter_272 Dec. 11 13.25.jpg    67.6 KB
ScreenHunter_272 Dec. 11 13.25.jpg

moneytime Avatar
moneytime Milt Patnor
denver, CO, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Old Nellie"
Thanks for your input and sharing your experience on this subject, I did get the clips on by changing directions coming in from the side away from the handbrake bracket, was a lot easier than before and looks like it will stay, it was not that easy getting the springs on the shoes however, I think they are on correctly and the hand brake should work, tomorrow I will bleed that wheel and move on to the other side. The weather is still holding up and may be in the fifties all next week so that may give me time to test the brakes down a major hill, hahaha..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Hi Milt,

Just sent you a PM.

My Drums for what its worth

Honestly, the best thing you can ever do is take tones of pics with your cell phone (before and after) and let it back up to the cloud for reference (I like Google Photos-Free). Also, if you have jackstands, you can use the other side of the car as a reference (if it is correct).

Glad it is all working out for you. good luck on cloud free December!

-Allan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Vitesse 6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links