Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

slickfix Avatar
slickfix Greg G
Osseo, Minnesota, USA   USA
I am interested in seeing the different styles of luggage racks that were fitted to the TR6. If you have one, post a picture of it and the brand if you know it. This is the one on my '73 but I don't know who made it. I added the 3rd brake light.

Greg G.
Osseo, MN

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC01468.JPG    72.1 KB
DSC01468.JPG

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
This is what is or rather was on my 74...do not know the brand, but I got another deck lid without the rack, I think the car looks cleaner with out it.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-24 02:24 PM by clifish.

Attachments:
luggage rack 1.JPG    52.8 KB
luggage rack 1.JPG

luggage rack.JPG    49 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
arcom Avatar
arcom Josh W
New Bern, NC, USA   USA
Here's mine. I use it a lot with a large rollerskate suitcase.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
tr6-luggage rack.jpg    57.7 KB
tr6-luggage rack.jpg

slickfix Avatar
slickfix Greg G
Osseo, Minnesota, USA   USA
That appears to be the AMCO style rack.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
In reply to # 1452228 by clifish This is what is or rather was on my 74...do not know the brand, but I got another deck lid without the rack, I think the car looks cleaner with out it.

That is the one I have for my '74: I am still up in the air about mounting it or not... I still have to polish it back up(it is age-grunged, but the chrome is good) and I may still do so... lol...

Scott

BL50 Avatar
BL50 Silver Member Brian Leslie
Grosse Pointe, MI, USA   USA
In reply to # 1452427 by ng19delta
In reply to # 1452228 by clifish This is what is or rather was on my 74...do not know the brand, but I got another deck lid without the rack, I think the car looks cleaner with out it.

That is the one I have for my '74: I am still up in the air about mounting it or not... I still have to polish it back up(it is age-grunged, but the chrome is good) and I may still do so... lol...

Scott

That's funny, Scott. I've got the same rack and the same problem. It's been sitting in my garage for six years and I can't stand the thought of drilling into my pristine trunk lid!

Brian

tr6bobnf Avatar
tr6bobnf Bob Evans
Paradise, NL, Canada   CAN
Hi Greg:
I have (had) the one like Cliff shows on his red deck lid. I hated it. Not only did I think it detracted from the clean, crisp lines of the car but it was a pain to wash around and under it and damn near impossible to wax the deck lid and do a proper job of it; at least for me and I can't speak for others, nor would I presume to. When I had my car painted the guy accidentally filled in one mounting hole and partially filled in another on the deck lid. (I completely stripped the car for paint - no chrome or body attachments of any kind) so, when I got it back I shelved the rack and filled the holes with black plastic trim plugs. I really like the clean look without the rack. That still leaves the option of the new owner remounting the rack at a later date and the little plugs are barely noticeable. Yes, I am selling it. I want another BMW Z4 and two sports cars is one too many for me. That being said, I completely respect any other TR6 driver's preference for having a rack installed; just not my cup of tea smiling smiley For what it's worth I think the rack shown on Josh's 6 above is the best looking of the lot.Good luck with your selection.
Cheers,

yycdave Avatar
yycdave Dave More
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph TR6 "Miles"
My car came with an installed luggage rack, and while I don't mind the look of it I always wanted to see what it would be like without.

While not as pristine as a new deck lid, it doesn't look all that bad.

After removing the rack I cobbled together some "plugs" from hardware from my local Home Depot and sacrificed an old ski pole for the required spacers.

I've had this arrangement for a few years and depending upon my whim I go racked or rackless.

As an aside I was also able to find an ATV bag at Princess Auto (Canadian HF) which fits the rack perfectly.

Cheers,
Dave

76 CF58310UO

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
AllanJ71MGB Allan Johnson
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
I have no idea if you would consider this a luggage rack, but here's what came with my 1971 TR6 last month. It is either decorative, a handhold for bicyclists and skateboarders, or {insert creative use here}.....

I guess you could lay a protective layer down under your luggage to protect the paint..... or something....

~Allan

Attachments:
4.jpg    40 KB
4.jpg

arcom Avatar
arcom Josh W
New Bern, NC, USA   USA
If you were from Kalifoornia, you'd know it's for skateboarders to hold on.
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1454527 by AllanJ71MGB I have no idea if you would consider this a luggage rack, but here's what came with my 1971 TR6 last month. It is either decorative, a handhold for bicyclists and skateboarders, or {insert creative use here}.....

I guess you could lay a protective layer down under your luggage to protect the paint..... or something....

~Allan

Allan:

How odd.

It does have the virtue of being different, and I do appreciate people who are not afraid to color outside the lines on their cars. Although I do draw the line at spoilers the size of surfboards, as was all the rage a few years back.

I put the original alloy wheels back on my TR8 for that exact reason; every pickup, mini-van and SUV comes from the factory with spoked alloy wheels these days, so the odd styling of the factory alloys really appealed to me. That and the fact that they were original made for an easy decision.

Don't be afraid of different, it gets attention.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
I think it is a great towel holder when you are at the beach!

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
@ Josh, yes. reminds me of Marty McFly in Back to the Future I.

@ Cliff, I like that idea! Keeping my towel bar!

@vance, TR8 Alloys are nice! I am not a fan of surfboard spoilers either and I never plan on having one on my 6!

IH8Rain Tom Q
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
I've read the forums and see the clean lines argument but I have always been enamored by the romance of the luggage rack. A weekend trip or a picnic that needs a bit more space. I just bought a 1969 TR6 with no luggage rack. My thoughts are to install one but I want to keep it orginal. I'd like to have an original instead of a repro. That said I have a couple questions:
1. I've looked at a lot of pictures of '69s and more don't have luggage racks than do. Was a luggage rack an option on the early 1969s? (Manufacture date Jan 1st, 1969)
2. I think the stock luggage rack was the one in the attached picture with the strap rings on the back top and forward cross bars. An I correct?
3. If I am correct and this is the correct luggage rack is any one in the market to sell theirs?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments:
luggage rack.JPG    52.8 KB
luggage rack.JPG

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster