Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada   CAN
I just removed the front rubber overiders; easy and I like the cleaner look of the whole front. I want to do the same with the back but at first glance it seems a bit more complicated. It looks like when the steel structure of the overider is removed, I'll have to insert a spacer to fill the gap, right? How does the rear bumper look when the overider is removed? Any pictures of the back?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trboost Avatar
Trboost Mitch Seff
Ny, Oceanside, USA   USA
The rear bracing is more involved. My recal isn't that clear as this was a while ago but I remember removing the entire bumper. I used a 1/2" piece of aluminum billet as a spacer.

Mitch Seff
Oceanside N.Y.
75 TR6 Supercharged

SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada   CAN
Thanks Mitch,

Your car looks good! No holes to fill on the bumpers? Did you have to remove the rear bumper?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
From what I recall years ago having the bumpers re-chromed, those big ugly things just un-bolted and the bumper fit back on with no issues. That was my case but they'd been fiddled with before I decades ago.
'Aesthetically better without the big black battering rams.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
You might find this interesting. When I removed the rear rubber bumpers I found it provided a place to fasten a trailer hitch. I have since powder coated the aluminum hitch and cut off the top part of the mount brackets.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-24 11:40 PM by tomshobby.

Attachments:
IMG_2316.JPG    55 KB
IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG    59.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tr6_trailer_hitch.jpg    32.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
A. Bradley Aaron Bradley
Erwin, TN, USA   USA
1969 Jaguar E-Type 2+2 "The Jag"
1975 Triumph TR6 "The TR"
Now that's clever and trick!

In reply to # 1409081 by tomshobby You might find this interesting. When I removed the rear rubber bumpers I found it provided a place to fasten a trailer hitch. I have since powder coated the aluminum hitch and cut off the top part of the mount brackets.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1409081 by tomshobby You might find this interesting. When I removed the rear rubber bumpers I found it provided a place to fasten a trailer hitch. I have since powder coated the aluminum hitch and cut off the top part of the mount brackets.
In reply to # 1409085 by A. Bradley Now that's clever and trick!

thumbs up ...that's Tom Smith !

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Good move to remove the bumper guards, front and back. I removed mine form a 76 about 2 years ago and have been delighted with the look and weight reduction. I am guessing about 50 lbs total reduction. Did you weigh the removal, just curious.

Trboost Avatar
Trboost Mitch Seff
Ny, Oceanside, USA   USA
If I remember correctly the rear alone, bumber and hardware were about 35 lbs. Your probably correct at 50lbs front and rear. The front used much less hardware than the rear.

Mitch Seff
Oceanside N.Y.
75 TR6 Supercharged

waynebergman Wayne Bergman
Madeira Park, BC, Canada   CAN
I am looking at a 75 TR6. I have not bought it yet but is has the rubber guys front and rear of course. When you remove these rubber guys with hardware is there going to be holes left in the bumper. Not sure how the rubber and hardware is fastened to the bumper I just know I want to remove them. Thanks.............wayne

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Wayne,
No holes in the rear bumper, but you have to completely remove the bumper. In the front bumper it leaves two small holes on the top of the bumper. After cleaning, I plugged them with an inexpensive chrome plated plastic plug from the auto parts store. It looks fine.
Scott

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
I have a 75 and removed the overriders during winter. The rear will actually slide forward half an inch so no need for any spacers. There are sliding captive nuts in the side sections. Some earlier models have a notch cut out of the bumper to allow for the overrider but my 75 year model does not.

You will like the look, the bumpers sit higher than the UK models which I prefer.

Andy

waynebergman Wayne Bergman
Madeira Park, BC, Canada   CAN
thanks so much guys. I hope to pick up the TR6 on Monday so I will post some pics when I get her home........wayne

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links