AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

alexwoof Avatar
alexwoof Roger Bean
marquette, MI, USA   USA
I installed a OD in my 76 from scratch...fun and a great challenge to do

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
Originality aside...I think I would prefer the Toyota 5 speed over the overdrive I have now...I keep tripping it off when I go to put my directional on.

If i did not have overdrive..the cost to do it is kind of high unless A)I needed a tranny anyway, cool smiley got the car really cheap or C) was I one of the types that don't take into account what I spend to make a car enjoyable rather than thinking will I get that back when I sell it.

I kind of wish I had more of that part "C" in me. I am always thinking about the money part before the enjoyment.....some day my kids are going to have a great time blowing through my money!

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1395410 by clifish Originality aside...I think I would prefer the Toyota 5 speed over the overdrive I have now...I keep tripping it off when I go to put my directional on.
You could always put the switch somewhere else. For example, Stags and late Spitfires have it in the shift knob. I knew a fellow that had a Spitfire upper shift lever welded to his TR6 shift lever (with the weld inside the boot where it doesn't show) just so he could use the switch in the knob. Or a Stag shift lever should drop right in (although ISTR they are a bit longer than the TR6 version, which might be a problem).

Or mount it on the dash ala TR3.

Someone (Racetorations maybe?) even sells a logic device to make it a pushbutton operation, and automatically turn off when you shift gears.

Personally, I wouldn't care to give up being able to grab "passing gear" with my right foot to the floor. Let alone having 2nd OD available on those twisty mountain roads where 2nd is too low and 3rd is too high.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1395410 by clifish Originality aside...I think I would prefer the Toyota 5 speed over the overdrive I have now...I keep tripping it off when I go to put my directional on.

If you'd like the switch on the gearshift knob.."oppositelocksmith" over on www.6-Pack.org makes nice ones. He can match existing wood in the cockpit.
I kept hitting the stock lever with my knee, so I did a little twisting and bending so that I flip the lever forward to engage OD...It didn't take long to get used to it being in that position.
OFF

ON

clifish Avatar
clifish Cliff Deger
St. James, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Ken, I might do as you did. I did like the switch on gear shift when I had a Spitfire.....but probably not enough to rewire it from the column to shift lever.

74 TR6 - Carbs by POOLBOY
81 Corvette

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Or source a Dolomite sprint gear lever. Same look as Spit but will work in a 6

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Randall

You mentioned a conversion kit from NZ. What does the acronym stand for? Thanks in advance

YankeeTR5 Dan M
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
So, if you just picked up the car, my advice would be: first, enjoy what you have. Its new (to you) and you have lots to learn and enjoy. While doing #1, keep an eye out for a used TR tranny with J-type. This will bolt right in to your existing car (then, all you need is the O/D wiring harness and column switch and you're good to go - no flywheel swap). These appear on eBay fairly regularly. Given your location, the Ontario Triumph club would be worth checking into the For Sale section. Or posting that you're looking for one. TR tranny's are pretty robust and the J-type as well (a bit more solid than the A-type, although it too is pretty stout) so used isn't necessarily as high risk as some might make it to be. My point is, take your time, something will come up. If you're in a hurry and a few hundred extra bucks isn't a big deal, the Quantum Mechanics route isn't bad as you'll have something with a warranty and someone to help walk you thru it. As mentioned before - the Buckeye Triumph site offers quite a bit of info on this subject as well...
Best of luck w/things. To me, the O/D route is the way to go vs a 5-speed conversion. Most tend to focus on the 5th speed, but to me the value of the O/D is the ability to use it on multiple gears - far more engaging in swoopy curvy roads and makes for a much more relaxed experience around town as well.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509840 by 74TR6Oshawa Hi Randall

You mentioned a conversion kit from NZ. What does the acronym stand for? Thanks in advance
New Zealand. I think this is the link http://www.conversioncomp.com/productinfo.php

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Thank you for the information. This is a great forum with great members.

drrotor Kenny Durkee
Renton, WA, USA   USA
I highly recommend the Toyota conversion. It is completely and properly engineered and bolts in.

74TR6Oshawa Marc Purcell
Oshawa, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Kenny
I looked into the HVDA conversion kit in December. I received and email from Herman's wife informing me that he passed away.

BigChill Avatar
BigChill Silver Member Big Chill
Norwood, MA, USA   USA
To put an A type overdrive into a 1974 TR6 you will need an adapter for the frame mount. Buckeye Triumphs had an article about this. John at Quantum Mechanics can supply this part.

First thing is to make sure your frame matches your car. My '75 has a '71 frame due to a frame replacement back in the early '80's. That makes it easier for me to add an A type OD.

Good luck.

Big Chill

'75 TR6 slowly coming back from the dead...

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509888 by BigChill To put an A type overdrive into a 1974 TR6 you will need an adapter for the frame mount. Buckeye Triumphs had an article about this. John at Quantum Mechanics can supply this part.

First thing is to make sure your frame matches your car. My '75 has a '71 frame due to a frame replacement back in the early '80's. That makes it easier for me to add an A type OD.

Good luck.

Nope...A-type bolts up same a 4-speed would. You DO need the 4-speed Mount

Problems arise when fitting a J-type to an early frame 68-72. They’re solvable...just not bolt in

South San Frncisco, CA, USA   USA
now now...it is a large undertaking. ..id say good luck, certainly worth considering if you were
contemplating rebuilding gearbox in the first place. removing gearbox is kind of diheartening
in itself since the interior of car is removed in process, excepting dash, thank goodness...
there is talk of it being another expensive thing to fix, but this may be overplayed....
good luck.
(id think just jump in four feet, get a good rebuilt box and O/d all at once...no harm having a gearbox drive
line to fall back on...its just money.
w

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links