Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
Yes, your car is Carmine.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the exact shade of carmine might have changed at some point. I was very disappointed with the paint job done on the Spitfire because to me it came our quite a bit darker than it had been. Now, with my vision defect I could have been reacting to the fact that the dealer-installed go-faster stripes (yellow/silver/black) had gone and that made the car look somewhat drab. It's a rubber bumber car so there isn't much to brighten it up.

In the end I got over it, I spend most of my time either underneath it or behind the wheel so I am not that bothered by a poor paint job. But if you didn't get what you paid for, then you have a legitimate complaint. And if that was supposed to be Damson, well...

BTW, it was Russ who suggested the computer business. Unless you had a really big $ paint job there's probably somewhere that was painted at the factory and has since been hidden behind a trim panel where it wouldn't fade that you could scan.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dodgebrother Avatar
Dodgebrother Rick Cook
Dodge city, OR, USA   USA
I just wanted to mention that you can't really rely on paint chip books anymore not that they were perfect when new. That's just ink on paper and it changes after 30-40, or, more years. And there were differences in paint colors sprayed in the morning, to the night shift. Color match to the old panel as said above is the best bet but perfect color is tough. Even two photos in bright sun from different angles, shot 15 seconds apart don't look like the same car.

Attachments:
20312181508_resized.jpg    37.4 KB
20312181508_resized.jpg

20312181508b_resized.jpg    40.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Britnut Avatar
Britnut Randy DeRuiter
Nacogdoches, TX, USA   USA
I agree it looks Carmine, especially given a cloudy day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Pics of my 71 Damson On day of purchase

Attachments:
C0437874-8BC4-447F-9388-184219FFB708.jpeg    50.5 KB
C0437874-8BC4-447F-9388-184219FFB708.jpeg

D62F4DF1-7425-40CF-AE58-26D93899381A.jpeg    34.1 KB
747D26D7-69F8-438D-9205-B3F650C4CEB9.jpeg    55.5 KB
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
One on the lift. Definitely depends on lighting

Attachments:
71F5D2E1-F147-46BE-A17D-CAB363E21D70.jpeg    41.2 KB
71F5D2E1-F147-46BE-A17D-CAB363E21D70.jpeg

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
This is a great topic for discussion, notice the paint code number that Triumph has given it's colors, Magenta is #92 , Carmen is # 82 or the 8th shade of red. Pimento is # 72 or the 7th shade of red. Blue's have 6s green has 5s Damson is # 17 not in the red category, only other 7 is #27 shadow blue 1969 so 7s must be purples.

palermo russ n
Providence, northeast, USA   USA
Not Damson
Not Carmine
Not Signal Red
Not Pimento
Here is another example of a fine paint job with some leftover paint from a Mazda.
The reds are expensive and if you don't buy the paint yourself, this is what can happen.
Occasionally, shop operators will try to adjust some leftover paint to do an overall job.
All they need is a customer with a small car of similar color.
Luckily it's a good paint job regardless. And the color is nice - just don't try to touch it up
unless the body shop supplies you with some leftover paint from the overall job..

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-triumph-tr6-35/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-03-13

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1519023 by palermo Not Damson
Not Carmine
Not Signal Red
Not Pimento
Here is another example of a fine paint job with some leftover paint from a Mazda.
The reds are expensive and if you don't buy the paint yourself, this is what can happen.
Occasionally, shop operators will try to adjust some leftover paint to do an overall job.
All they need is a customer with a small car of similar color.
Luckily it's a good paint job regardless. And the color is nice - just don't try to touch it up
unless the body shop supplies you with some leftover paint from the overall job..

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-triumph-tr6-35/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-03-13
That’s known as re sale red.
Rut

Damson1971 Mike L
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
OK to add to this discussion. I have my car at the body shop right now. Won't be ready for paint for awhile as I'm doing a frame off on it, but the previous owner painted it white. When it comes time for paint, what is the best way to get the proper color. Off hand I couldn't see anyplace that had the original color, but the body shop guy might. If I tell him Triumph Damson color will he be able to go to this jobber and just get that paint color mixed? Will the outcome depend on the paint company, PPG, or other paint manufacturers. Will we need to get samples from each company? I'm not a body/paint man. For one of my other cars that I needed the engine color matched from a 1928 engine, I took the bell housing down and the PPG paint guy cleaned it and used a computer to match it perfectly. Does anybody have any current paint codes for Damson?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster