AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carmine vs. Damson
  This topic is about my 1974 Triumph TR6
palermo russ n
Providence, northeast, USA   USA
Does anyone know if these colors are the same with just different names and paint codes?
since Carmine picked up where Damson left off in '72. and it looks so similar I'm thinking it
might be the same compound.
Thank You

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I've got a copy of an old paint chip page that makes it pretty clear they are not the same color.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Attachments:
ICI 68-73_1.jpg    20.8 KB
ICI 68-73_1.jpg

palermo russ n
Thank you . That's helpful although i have never heard of some of those colors
in the 68-73 range.
This triumph TR6 paint code chart does not show a noticeable difference .
Now we need a tie breaker.
Thank you for your help.

http://www.trregistry.com/start/registry/html/painttrimcodes.php

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Ok, how about a Dupont page? I even found some mixing information that clearly shows them to be different mixes.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Attachments:
dupont color codes.jpg    28.3 KB
dupont color codes.jpg

Mixing codes.jpg    11 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
palermo russ n
Randall:
That's Outstanding !
Now I'm convinced .
Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.
- with documentary evidence no less.
Russ

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Russ, I had the paint store mix up a small can of Dupont Centary enamal in carman red,it was cheap and gave me a base line for adjusting the color,and I used it on my floors and trunk.Dan

David DPS Avatar
David DPS David S
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Russ:

No disrespect, but: "This triumph TR6 paint code chart does not show a noticeable difference "

I see a very significant color difference between Carmine and Dansom in the posting by and I am puzzled by your comment.

Perhaps your monitor is poor or you have a bad video card, but those causes seem to be highly unlikely.

I then wonder if you have acquired some sort of colorblindness? If you really do not see the differences you might need an eye exam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-29 10:30 PM by David DPS.

palermo russ n
David:
Randall explained it very clearly in the very first e-mail reply.
with the mix formula - objective, conclusive proof that the two are different
It's settled,
Thank you,
Russ

AgingTim Marion Gaines
Clinton, SC, USA   USA
Well, I see that this topic is a few years old, but I just decided to order some touch-up paint for my damson red TR6 (painted about 8 years ago), and I am now confused. On most of the charts I find online, carmine red appears to match my car much more closely than damson red does. On the Dupont chart in an earlier post here, damson looks to be much more purple than my car. However, in the earlier cited TR Registry chart, the two colors do look very similar to me as Russ said (and despite what David S. said). I tried looking at images of actual TR6s in the two colors, and again mine resembles carmine red more than it does damson which looks darker and more purple. I am starting to wonder if my paint shop guy really did order damson red for my car! He is out of business now, and so far I have failed to find a written record of the color code used.

I know that comparing colors from a computer screen is fraught with problems, so I am asking for a verbal report from those with experience here. Is damson really darker than carmine and more purple? And, despite what I said about viewing colors on a screen, what color does my car, in the photo, appear to be? It was taken on a cloudy afternoon.

Attachments:
PC056015.JPG    72.2 KB
PC056015.JPG

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Your car looks like Carmine to me. Very similar to my ‘76 - check pix on my page. Damson is darker burgundy-purple. In real life the colors don’t look that similar. If your car was supposedly repainted in “Damson” I think someone got the wrong code number. I would probably have a professional auto paint store match what’s on the car. They can get very close.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
It doesn't look like damson to me, Marion

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
A fairly high percentage of adult males are red/green colour blind. I had a test done a few years ago and learned that legally I am red/green colour blind. In practical terms it usually becomes an issue in poor light.

With that on record, I can state that carmine and damson are quite different colours. I have a damson Stag and a carmine Spitfire and it's pretty clear that they are not the same colour even to someone like me. Both were repainted about 25 years ago, but if you look at places that are still original paint you can see that carmine is a brighter and warmer colour (at least in my wonky eyes).

I like them both but they aren't the same.

palermo russ n
Braxton knows.
45 years have elapsed since these TR6's were painted at the factory.
A small percentage, probably <5% have escaped being re-sprayed in the meantime.
Some body shops would not know about Triumphs
or the convenience of having paint codes readily available on the commission plate.
Instead they refer to color charts provided by their paint vendors visually for a match- by eye.
Or perhaps They think experience counts more than factory paint codes as they try to mix a batch
from some leftover Honduras maroon from a recent Ford truck paint job.
Nowadays, modern equipped body shops have a computer to color match that makes up for fading.
As an outcome, it is possible to do an overall job in a close, but different color, rendering the paint code useless.
This happens all the time with BRG and Vermillion.
45 years later I'd go with the computer mix for touchup. They can make any amount from an eye dropper size to gallons.
It will be more cost effective and accurate. If you want the correct color according to the Triumph paint code,
You might have to start from scratch, as in bare metal, overall job.
2.) BTW, Does anyone want an original paint Carmine Factory hardtop ?
or a reconditioned TR250 cylinder head ?

Attachments:
IMG_9403.JPG    34.1 KB
IMG_9403.JPG

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
I must reply again, when my paint shop mixed my Carmine red from the Dupont chart, I told them it had too much brown in it, 2nd try had too much purple. and just like the 3 bears, the third was just right. I also believe I may be a little color blind with reds, greens,and grays

AgingTim Marion Gaines
Clinton, SC, USA   USA
Thanks to Braxton, Ken, Russ, and Neville for the quick replies. Inasmuch as there seems to be agreement that my color is closer to carmine red than damson, at least in TR6 colors, I now suspect that I was taken by my paint shop guy. I did give him the Dupont code for damson red, and when I went back to get his estimate he said that the paint itself turned out to be very expensive. I wanted an original TR6 color so I stuck with it, but I suspect he did come up with some cheaper approximation, perhaps having noted that I wasn't exactly expert on the color myself. This shop was pretty new and the cost was a whole lot less than the first estimate I got (more than I paid for the car in 1995), but a friend showed me the good job they had done on his recently repainted truck, so I went with them. My bad. They actually did a pretty good job except for a few spots that I had them redo. Now I just need to touch up a couple of little scratches. I think I'll get the computer match that Russ mentioned and stop looking at codes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 04:44 PM by AgingTim.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links