I got some time this afternoon to work on the cars.
After the oil change on the MGB I wanted to see how the sparkplugs and the compression looked. All four plugs were tan and clean, no oil or wet plugs. The compression test yielded: #1 120, #2 120, #3 115, #4 120. I'm really pleased! The motor is shaping up to be a nice one, even after sitting for so long. I was worried about the rings and valve train, so far so good.
Back on the Spitfire, I mounted the brackets that the bonnet pivots mount to. I'm going to leave the bonnet off for a little while longer as the access is still very good in the front and I want to take advantage of that while I work the wiring.
The headlight assemblies needed more time to soak, I took advantage of the Memorial Day HF 25% off coupon and got another gallon of Evaporust and used that for the parts today.
While waiting, I started test fitting the front valences, bumper and overriders. The right side valence had the brackets ready to go, the left side though they were missing. I pulled a set off one of the original crusty valences that came with the car and dipped them in Evaporust for most of the day. I also took a wire wheel too them which took care of the last of the rust and then got a couple of coats of paint on them. They won't be car color, but not sure anyone will notice. I also prepped the headlight buckets and got a couple of coats of black on the buckets and CastBlast on the light mounting frames, better than rusty zinc color I think. The rings that hold the light bulbs in had a couple of spots of rust so I treated them but didn't paint them as they are chromed.
I was motivated by the look of the front end, so I also test fitted the back bumper as well. I will have to move the side holes a little further back so they line up. They were drilled undersized so it won't be too obvious when I have to move them.
The front and rear of the car are really shaping up, it looks nice with the bumpers, front overriders, spoiler and grill in place. Nothing is torqued down yet but it all lines up nicely. The lineup with the bonnet will be the true test, then I will be able to torque everything down.
I will have to wait til tomorrow or later it seems to mount the left valence and check it with the bumper.
Right valence bumper, overriders and spoiler fitted, it looks nice!