With the bonnet done, I had some time to work on the MGB.
I got the new gear driven starter installed. Initially I worried that the battery connections were on the opposite side from the original as the battery feed cable wouldn't reach. I was able to create some slack by lossening the clamps that hold the cable and brake lines under the car. I slid the whole cable about an inch toward the front of the car. Still plenty for the battery connection and enough to reach the terminal lug. Starter installed, I dressed the wires with some spiral wrap and put the original plastic cover over the whole thing.
With the starter and ignition key working, I was able to crank it again using the key. Still no spark though. I found the ignition circuit was down to just over 9 volts at the fuse box while cranking so I spent sometime cleaned up many of the connections with some sandpaper. That brought the voltage up to just over 11, but still no spark. The car had a Piranha ignition system that looked pretty sad. I found when I pulled its power the voltage went up to almost the battery level of 12.5 volts. Hmm that's not good. So I decided something had failed internally an I had enough fiddling with it, so I started ripping that out. The coil looks original and have an extra coil and pertronix ignition that will fit the distributor, so I am going to install that.
I had hoped to be able to do the installation without taking out the distributor and started down that path, but it doesn't look like I can. I will try to get it out tomorrow and see if I can get it in when I have time.
Little steps toward the road I hope.
Getting the car up on stands so I can get the new starter in
New starter installed and cables dressed
The insides of the Pirahna ignition system, nothing obviously fried
Recording the orientation so I can get it back in place when done