I made some progress today on the preparation of the dash.
I got a set of patterns cut out so I can make another dash. I found some birch ply that I can use for it. I think I will make one so I have one with the walnut burl and the other with camphor burl to see how they turn out. I also got some MDF that I will use to laminate the parts in my vacuum bag setup. I found my West System Epoxy, but sadly the hardener dispenser doesn't work, so I will have to get another.
I offered up the left and right pieces to the metal dash still on the body to make sure I drilled the new instrument holes in the right spots. I also tried some of the instruments I had on for size as well, looks like the hole sizes I'm going to cut should be perfect.
I used some wood filler and filled the first of set of nicks I made in the wood while pearling the old veneer off. While that was drying I kept at disassembling the steering rack.
I got the drive section extracted and also loosened the two stop nuts that hold the ball nuts in place. I also dipped the end of the steering knuckle in some Evaporust to help clean it up some, it was pretty rusty. I also started taking the '79 rack apart and will rebuild that at the same time, we will see if they both are usable.
I sanded the first coats of filler on the dash pieces and then applied another dose where there were still low spots. I might find some different filler as this isn't living up to my expectations.
Little bits of progress.
Got the patterns made up for the second set and veneers
Marking the locations of the extra instruments based on holes in the metal part of the dash
Trying one of the dual oil pressure and water temperature gauges for size