I have moved inside for the time being while things stay cold outside. I got started on the dash. I want to restore it with walnut burl veneer, I have seen several people post their pictures of their Spitfire dashes with it and really like the way it looks on the car. I stripped the top layer of varnish and two layers of old veneer. It took some time as I was trying to be careful not to damage the wood base. There are only a couple of places I need to patch where I went too far. All three pieces look pretty good.
I marked the center piece on the back for another hole in the middle for an additional instrument and moved the headlight switch (normally in the middle) above that hole, mounted horizontally. I will try cutting them next time. I also need to make a pattern of each piece so I can potentially make an another some time. I have some nice black maple that has some great grain, I'd like to try to see how it looks.
With that complete, I got started disassembling the steering rack. I also pulled out the overhaul procedure from the manual and made sure I was familiar enough with it.
Little steps and a good finish to the year, lots of progress this year, let's hope I can go for the great finish in 2017 and get it on the road.
The dash was in pretty sad shape
It looks better with all the varnish and veneer stripped
Marking the cut lines for the new center instrument and moving the headlight switch