Today my brother in law Dan came by and we got a few more things done on The Beast. We finished filling the cooling system (no more leaks!) and Dan washed the charcoal for the carbon canister. We experimented with drying the charcoal but decided to just let the water evaporate (in progress.)
I also cranked the engine a few times, to push some coolant (and oil) around the block. I can't remember the last time I cranked it; it must be at least 3 months (!). Then, we were going to try to start with starter fluid but ran into a problem with "not enough hands", and then Dan had to leave.
In the afternoon I reconnected the accelerator cable to the linkage and wedged a broom handle on the accelerator pedal (so that the butterflies would be open and I could squirt some starting fluid into each carb. I did, and https://youtu.be/y5ipYAIkJls