I started tearing down the first carburetor today. First, I did a preliminary cleaning - by scraping with a plastic scraper. Wow, a lot of gunk came off. Mostly oil, and some dirt, and some dirty oil and some oily dirt.
Then I started the teardown proper. Unfortunately, neither manual that I have describes the exact model carburetor that is on The Beast (I think they're Stromberg CD 150s). As a result I had to "ad lib" the disassembly and just went top to bottom, right to left.
In the end, though, I couldn't get the float bowl off. I really don't want to "pry" it off, as I've read and heard lots of warnings against doing that kind of thing... damage to the surface will cause a bad seal.