Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Why can't I bypass the inertia and oil pressure switches on my fuel pump?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
HalLucy Avatar
HalLucy Silver Member Hal Levison
Longmont, CO, USA   USA
Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the useful information. Life and cold weather got in the way for doing much on this until the last couple of weekends. The fuel pump was bad, but getting that working didn't really solve my problem. So, I added a bypass. Looking at the circuit more closely I decided that I should not do what I originally suggested because it would apply 12V to the wrong side of the Inertial Switch. I don't know if this is bad, but I did not want to take a chance. So, I ended up with something a lot more complicated. Part of the reason for this is that I wanted to use the A/C switch, since the A/C in the car is bad, and because it is a toggle switch, I wanted to add a lamp. The only thing the bottom relay does is light the lamp. This works as it should and the car started on the first try. I hope that this wasn't a fluke......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
PF.jpg    28.2 KB
PF.jpg

PF_photo.jpg    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1594121 by HalLucy Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the useful information. Life and cold weather got in the way for doing much on this until the last couple of weekends. The fuel pump was bad, but getting that working didn't really solve my problem. So, I added a bypass. Looking at the circuit more closely I decided that I should not do what I originally suggested because it would apply 12V to the wrong side of the Inertial Switch. I don't know if this is bad, but I did not want to take a chance. So, I ended up with something a lot more complicated. Part of the reason for this is that I wanted to use the A/C switch, since the A/C in the car is bad, and because it is a toggle switch, I wanted to add a lamp. The only thing the bottom relay does is light the lamp. This works as it should and the car started on the first try. I hope that this wasn't a fluke......

Wow:

A real triumph radio. Can you hear it with the top down? Electronics of that vintage had flea power to drive the speakers, so I yanked it and installed some up to date electronics. At least I can hear the radio when tooling around town.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

HalLucy Avatar
HalLucy Silver Member Hal Levison
Longmont, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594235 by Darth V8R Wow:

A real triumph radio. Can you hear it with the top down? Electronics of that vintage had flea power to drive the speakers, so I yanked it and installed some up to date electronics. At least I can hear the radio when tooling around town.

Vance

Yes, the original radio is still there. It does not work very well and I use a bluetooth to FM transmitter to listen to my phone. I can't hear it when the top is down. I am eventually planning to replace it with I modern radio if I can find one that will fit without cutting anything. Any suggestions?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster