Sprites and Spirits Avatar
Sprites and Spirits Ed Forrest
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Elizabeth"
1971 MG Midget
1981 AMC Eagle "Full Race"    & more
Hello out there!

I am looking at the '81 drophead and seeing (mug fugly) steel wheels and...hub caps!!! Are there reasonably priced replacements from newer cars? In the "good old days we used Chevy Vega wheels on the Sprites!!! Suggestions?

Thx...ed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Bolt pattern is 4X3.75" or 4X95.25mm. Basically nothing else has that pattern other than some Formula Ford race cars, old Lotus, and Spitfire. The Cheapest new aftermarket wheels are Rota RB which come in North of $600 in a 15X7. The stock alloy wheels are plentiful and go for 200 to 300 a set, but they are only 13X5.5 and finding decent 13" tires is getting very difficult and expensive.

Sprites and Spirits Avatar
Sprites and Spirits Ed Forrest
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
1959 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Elizabeth"
1971 MG Midget
1981 AMC Eagle "Full Race"    & more
Todd...thank you for information. There were "mags" as options for these cars, right? So, were I to find an old set of mags for a Spitfire that would work???

ed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Don't know what the center bore and offset for the Spitty is. TR7 has an offset of +23 and I think the center bore is 54.1 or 57.1, can't remember off the top of my head. I can mic one for you if you need. Stock alloys are fairly common, so if you are willing to stay with 13" wheels and tires, you should explore that route. Just noticed your in Marietta. I have family there and one of my old TR7 racing buddies has or had a shop in Marietta. He might even have some alloys still kicking around. His name is Scott Holton, but I can remember the name of his shop. It was something strange like aeromotive. Think he rents rent a wrecks out of there as well.

nick Avatar
nick Silver Member nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Geeez Todd, you've got family everywhere from coast to coast. Are you sure your not from Jersey?

nick

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Not from Jersey, but I lived there in grade school. My family is from Amish country in Pa. Not much of an economy there so my fathers generation spread out all over the country. Makes going on vacation cheap. No matter where I want to go, there is family anxious for a visit. Pretty much the same story on my wife's side, but in her case, its her 7 siblings that have scattered from Massachusetts.

justin.mercier Avatar
justin.mercier Justin Mercier
Woonsocket, RI, USA   USA
I've got a set of alloy minilite replicas from a spitfire on my TR7 that fit just fine, but they're 13 inch and when the tirees on these need replacing, I'll probably replace the wheels as well because 13s are getting so hard to find.

TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1241214 by TR8todd Don't know what the center bore and offset for the Spitty is. TR7 has an offset of +23 and I think the center bore is 54.1 or 57.1, can't remember off the top of my head. I can mic one for you if you need. Stock alloys are fairly common, so if you are willing to stay with 13" wheels and tires, you should explore that route. Just noticed your in Marietta. I have family there and one of my old TR7 racing buddies has or had a shop in Marietta. He might even have some alloys still kicking around. His name is Scott Holton, but I can remember the name of his shop. It was something strange like aeromotive. Think he rents rent a wrecks out of there as well.

TR8 wheels have a 57.1 bore.

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

TeeR8 Avatar
In reply to # 1241214 by TR8todd Don't know what the center bore and offset for the Spitty is. TR7 has an offset of +23 and I think the center bore is 54.1 or 57.1, can't remember off the top of my head. I can mic one for you if you need. Stock alloys are fairly common, so if you are willing to stay with 13" wheels and tires, you should explore that route. Just noticed your in Marietta. I have family there and one of my old TR7 racing buddies has or had a shop in Marietta. He might even have some alloys still kicking around. His name is Scott Holton, but I can remember the name of his shop. It was something strange like aeromotive. Think he rents rent a wrecks out of there as well.

Rent-A-Wreck in Marietta:

https://www.rentawreck.com/cheap-car-rental-marietta-GA.htm

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum

trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
Todd, I used to live around the corner from Scotts shop when I was in college down there. Great guy. He would let me use the shop for working on my TR7. He helped me out a lot. And yeah Aero Automotive was the name. I was out at Road Atlanta 1 weekend helping a friend with his 944 and Scott was having a great day in the 7 until he blew the transmission. He came looking for me hoping to pull the transmission out of my car but fortunately for me I hadn't driven it to the track that day.

Ed you can also get a set of spacers that go from 95.25 to 100 mm. Usually around $200 but then you can run a lot of different wheels from newer cars. Not a fan of spacers myself I use the Rota RB wheels from 18racing.com.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
One time while at Road Atlanta, I was watching Scott in his ITB TR7 doing a practice session. He rolled his car, and it literally ended up directly in front of where I was standing along the fence. We took the car back to his shop and spent most of the night blowing red dirt out of the body work and smacking it with body hammers. We got it ready for the race the next day.

acltpvd charles frink
Mass, USA   USA
I was under the probably mistaken idea that the wedge cars and the Spit had different size wheel lug studs, the Spit being smaller. The bolt spacing is the same but the wheels end up not being centered by the center of the wheel hub. I tried to mount a set of TR8 alloys on a friends Spit and while they fit the stud spacing they flopped around like, ?????. We took them off after a drive if about 1/2 mile. The 185-70 rubber was also a bit too large..

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1244717 by acltpvd I was under the probably mistaken idea that the wedge cars and the Spit had different size wheel lug studs, the Spit being smaller. The bolt spacing is the same but the wheels end up not being centered by the center of the wheel hub. I tried to mount a set of TR8 alloys on a friends Spit and while they fit the stud spacing they flopped around like, ?????. We took them off after a drive if about 1/2 mile. The 185-70 rubber was also a bit too large..

Charles:

It occurs to me that the lug nuts on the TR7 and TR8 are not the conical self centering variety, rather they have a smooth shank that fits between the stud and the wheel, effectively rendering the hole in the wheel quite a bit smaller. Is it possible that the correct type of lug nuts would solve the problem?

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

tazman79 Avatar
tazman79 Dave Renner
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
I have some TR7 mag wheels for sale . The st have 3/8 studs and the 7 has 12mm studs.

TeeR8 Avatar
In reply to # 1244543 by trekcarbonboy Todd, I used to live around the corner from Scotts shop when I was in college down there. Great guy. He would let me use the shop for working on my TR7. He helped me out a lot. And yeah Aero Automotive was the name. I was out at Road Atlanta 1 weekend helping a friend with his 944 and Scott was having a great day in the 7 until he blew the transmission. He came looking for me hoping to pull the transmission out of my car but fortunately for me I hadn't driven it to the track that day.

Ed you can also get a set of spacers that go from 95.25 to 100 mm. Usually around $200 but then you can run a lot of different wheels from newer cars. Not a fan of spacers myself I use the Rota RB wheels from 18racing.com.

Craig,

Which size of ROTA wheels do you have? and were they supplied with lug nuts?
If NOT supplied with lug nuts, which lug nuts are you using IE: shank type? size?

Thank you,

Henri

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links