The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
John, I, too, had a similar potential breakdown with my ‘80 Spider some 15 years ago.

I had driven my Spider 360-miles from the eastern end of Maine to Massachusetts to attend a family funeral. After the funeral service I decided I should check the oil level before heading back; to my horror, it was down 2 quarts. I looked for signs of a leak but could not see any. Up to this point, after 2 years of ownership, the engine had used very little oil between changes, so I was quite concerned.

I stopped for gas in southern Maine, and again, to my chagrin, had to add more oil. My final fuel stop in mid-coast Maine revealed the need for even more oil! I had missed my ferry home so I took a room at a nearby motel, and that following morning, started up the car while examining the engine. That’s when I found the oil pressure sending unit spurting oil with every action of the oil pump.

I called Woody Cooper for advice and he told me that a Nissan part would fit in place of the existing sending unit. I walked to an auto parts store and bought the sending unit and a socket designed for removing and replacing them. The total cost was under $20, and the hardest part was figuring out the wiring with the new unit having a different spade connection. The leak stopped immediately.

Earlier in my ownership, I, too had found the o-ring at the oil pump to be worn and had it replaced, stopping an oil leak at that point.

Happily, both were easy repairs to make!

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series IIA 88" SW
‘67 Land Rover Series IIA 109” SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Quick trip to the hardware store, not letting a little snow keep me from driving my Wedge!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0588.jpeg    78.6 KB
IMG_0588.jpeg

Yes No Thank
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Started “007” and put him outside while I swept the garage. Was tough to resist the urge to take him around the block but you know he’s on that no salt diet! Can’t wait for spring

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Attachments:
7BB00EEF-88D7-4E38-9E57-D29B25D75772.jpeg    91 KB
7BB00EEF-88D7-4E38-9E57-D29B25D75772.jpeg

Yes No Thank
bkwanab Phil Grice
Florence, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "Black Knight Wannabe"
Wimp. Salt washes off you know. You just don't want to have to do that. I understand, but am not sympathetic.

I took My Buick V6 powered TR7 Spyder, with the top up, down the coast this morning. It was pissing down and I loved it. And when I say pissing down, consider that I'm on the Oregon coast and when it comes down here, it really comes down. And if I waited for a day with no rain I might never go out! But we only had around 1/2" today. And there was some 1/4" hail at one point. That got a little noisy. As the soft top is now around 15 years old and brittle I'm glad it stood the test. I have a new one but that won't get installed until after BKWANAB (Black Knight wannabe) get's a fresh paint job in (hopefully) a month or two.

From Florence down to Coos Bay and back over a three hour period was a nice run. Windy but light traffic and my new Nitto 205/15s gripped really well. I saw a fantastic bright rainbow over the ocean as I was on my way back. The swedes say there is no bad weather. Only bad clothing. I say, oh look. It's raining. Let's take the Spyder.

The new Wilwood front brakes were nice and smooth too. I'm looking forward to receiving my rear disc setup soon. Steve at Old Phartz Parts engineered it for me and will be adding it to his line of brake upgrades for old British sports cars shortly. He just had a serious medical problem and is still recovering so don't press him too hard if you're interested in one of his setups. They are well worth the money.

So, no water got in at all. I bet a Morgan driver couldn't say that. Heh heh. And I put it away wet, as usual. It's a driver. Not a fair weather queen. Now, don't you wish you drove today?

Yes No Thank
JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I can barely wait for my 4.1 Cad/Buick V6 to be done. The only thing left is getting the seats back from the shop and finishing installing the cruise control. I also have rear wheel discs but am using a Mustang third member with Ford LSD, as well.

Attachments:
Wheels.jpg    40.3 KB
Wheels.jpg

Left Side from rear.jpg    50.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Nose.jpeg    39.7 KB
Engine Compartment.jpg    59.3 KB
Yes No Thank
bkwanab Phil Grice
Florence, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "Black Knight Wannabe"
Pretty. I have MGF 15" wheels that I bought waaay back when the F first came out. They bolt right on with suitable lug nuts. I bought them back from the UK as excess baggage. Customs held them for a while in LA but eventually relented and released them. I had to use a 10 mm spacer at the front to clear the big Wilwoods. I didn't use the Wedgeshop setup. I had someone build a set that have slightly larger calipers and discs. Instead of the large chrome air filter on the QJ, I use a pipe off the Buick 231 turbo with the 4" flewxible tubing down to a remote air filter holder also of the turbo. I did this so I could reinstall the fresh air intake panel on the engine bulkhead. I had to do a little panel beating of the fresh air panel to clear the turbo carburetor pipe. This allows us to get fresh air through the vents instead of engine room warm engine room air. I can find some pictures if you're interested.

Attachments:
20180706_153549.jpg    43.7 KB
20180706_153549.jpg

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1600731 by bkwanab I'm looking forward to receiving my rear disc setup soon. Steve at Old Phartz Parts engineered it for me and will be adding it to his line of brake upgrades for old British sports cars shortly. He just had a serious medical problem and is still recovering so don't press him too hard if you're interested in one of his setups. They are well worth the money.

I also have the kit on order, can't wait to see it!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
RangerMK Avatar
RangerMK Mark Morgan
Ballwin, MO, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "HSD"
Re Phil Grice in Florence: if I ever get my TR8 out to my daughter's place in Beautiful Downtown Otis, I'll gladly make a run down the coast with you.
In the meantime, the temps are finally going up here in St Louis, assuming it isn't raining sideways tomorrow (hence flooding the garage), I'll be out installing the replacement alternator. The local Jaguar club's hosting a 200-mile drive next Saturday, figured I'd join in.

Yes No Thank
bcbennett Avatar
bcbennett Gold Member Brad B
Abilene, TX, USA   USA
It was such great weather this weekend in central Texas that I decided to stretch the legs of my '80 wedge and drive to my mother's home, which is just over three hours away. I left the top up but still enjoyed the great drive at an easy 70-75 mph for most of the way. On the way back, the odometer clicked over to 30K miles. A good time was had by all.

I did note that for a trip just under 500 miles, I used 1/2 quart of oil, which is strange. No drips, so perhaps some oil getting past the valves.

Brad

Yes No Thank
urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
BC Bennett, my ‘80 Spider once had similar issues of oil usage on a low mileage engine. There was no head gasket issue, but in one instance, I found my oil sender unit was leaking under pressure; with each push of the oil pump, a bit of oil would squirt out of the sender. It would not leak unless the car was underway, and since it leaked low on the engine, I did not see much evidence of the leak. The replacement unit and a socket to reach it cost less than $20, and within a few minutes, I was on my way.

Look for seepage at the unit while the car is idling.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series IIA 88" SW
‘67 Land Rover Series IIA 109” SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

Yes No Thank
ghawbrey Avatar
ghawbrey Greg L
Lafayette, LA, USA   USA
Primed the engine bay today

1980 TR7 DHC Sprint Conversion
1974 Jensen Healey
1976 TR7 FHC Solo II Project
1993 3000GT VR4

Attachments:
IMG_20190321_112741096.jpg    45 KB
IMG_20190321_112741096.jpg

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Started on the swap over from the Wedge Shop big brake kit to the one from Glenn. You can see the difference in rotor size. You can also see one of the issues with the Wedge Shop kit, the caliper/pads are too high (or the rotor too small), the top edge of the pad is past the rotor.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0596.jpeg    49.4 KB
IMG_0596.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg    70.6 KB
Yes No Thank
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
Shitty fitment of those pads. What’s the swap from glen?

In reply to # 1603650 by darrellwalker Started on the swap over from the Wedge Shop big brake kit to the one from Glenn. You can see the difference in rotor size. You can also see one of the issues with the Wedge Shop kit, the caliper/pads are too high (or the rotor too small), the top edge of the pad is past the rotor.

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1603740 by parrisw Shitty fitment of those pads. What’s the swap from glen?

Glenn's kit uses Mini rotors (I assume New Mini, since they are probably larger that the whole wheel/tire on a classic Mini!).

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
parrisw William P
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
LOL. Ya the new mini rotors are fairly large. Prob cooper S ones.

Will

In reply to # 1603776 by darrellwalker
In reply to # 1603740 by parrisw Shitty fitment of those pads. What’s the swap from glen?

Glenn's kit uses Mini rotors (I assume New Mini, since they are probably larger that the whole wheel/tire on a classic Mini!).

-Darrell

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster