The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594100 by Pat.L Pulled the rear axle and fuel tank. Axle needs new bushings and Pinion seal. Fuel tanks needs rust cleaned and sealed. When you buy a TR8 that has a new external fuel pump it is not always a good thing.

Patrick -- we must be working in parallel universes -- rear axle removal, gas tank removal and cleaning, Ariens snowblower on standby, hardtop with crap stored on it.....

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
garageoperations1.jpeg    46.3 KB
garageoperations1.jpeg

file-10_small.jpeg    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1597740 by Carb-Dave
In reply to # 1594100 by Pat.L Pulled the rear axle and fuel tank. Axle needs new bushings and Pinion seal. Fuel tanks needs rust cleaned and sealed. When you buy a TR8 that has a new external fuel pump it is not always a good thing.

Patrick -- we must be working in parallel universes -- rear axle removal, gas tank removal and cleaning, Ariens snowblower on standby, hardtop with crap stored on it.....

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

I am at a little bit of a stand still waiting for the weather to warm up. I ran some toilet bowl cleaner in the gas tank and it cleaned a fair amount but flashed rust on me as I was not able to proceed as the weather turned cold again. Hopefully back at it in a couple of weeks. I just had phase one of cataract surgery with phase two in two seeks, but I do not think that will hold me back. I just received the hand brake cam busing and I hope to work on that over the week end along with the silencer bump stop prototype from Brian T.

The one thing I did not do was locate the filler tube exactly and I may have to have a second hand to adjust it while I lift the tank form the bottom.

You seem to have more room in your garage than me. What are you planning on using for a tank sealer if any? I did not have any leaks until i cleaned the tank and I believe I will use Bill Hirsch's product. i ahve a couple of ideas on how to get the excess out with the last resort of drilling a small hole and then a patch.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
[/quote]
I am at a little bit of a stand still waiting for the weather to warm up. I ran some toilet bowl cleaner in the gas tank and it cleaned a fair amount but flashed rust on me as I was not able to proceed as the weather turned cold again. Hopefully back at it in a couple of weeks. I just had phase one of cataract surgery with phase two in two seeks, but I do not think that will hold me back. I just received the hand brake cam busing and I hope to work on that over the week end along with the silencer bump stop prototype from Brian T.

The one thing I did not do was locate the filler tube exactly and I may have to have a second hand to adjust it while I lift the tank form the bottom.

You seem to have more room in your garage than me. What are you planning on using for a tank sealer if any? I did not have any leaks until i cleaned the tank and I believe I will use Bill Hirsch's product. i ahve a couple of ideas on how to get the excess out with the last resort of drilling a small hole and then a patch.
[/quote]

Patrick - I'm planning on using one of the sealing kits available off the shelf - I don't know for sure, but probably 'Redcoat', just because its there. I think they are basically all the same and that the prep work is more important than the actual sealer.

How did you determine that new axle bushings and pinion seal were needed? I'm close to opening up the diff and inspecting, but besides obvious wear and play, I'm not sure what to look for on these axles. Is there a guide?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1597925 by Carb-Dave

Patrick - I'm planning on using one of the sealing kits available off the shelf - I don't know for sure, but probably 'Redcoat', just because its there. I think they are basically all the same and that the prep work is more important than the actual sealer.

How did you determine that new axle bushings and pinion seal were needed? I'm close to opening up the diff and inspecting, but besides obvious wear and play, I'm not sure what to look for on these axles. Is there a guide?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Red Kote was under consideration but TP tools carries the Bill Hirsch product and I am within driving distance of them.

My pinion seal was seeping, not bad but since the rear axle was out I replaced it. I had torque steer and thought it was the rear bushings, I was right see pictures of lower swing arm bushing.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Attachments:
Lower_Swing_Arm_Bushing_Old_2.JPG    47 KB
Lower_Swing_Arm_Bushing_Old_2.JPG

Lower_swing-Arm_bad_Bushing.JPG    44.1 KB
Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Patrick - let us know how the Bill Hirsch solution worked out for you. I ordered it as well after giving up on the local suppliers here for Red Kote. I like the idea of having a surface etcher supplied for better prep. It's all in the prep...

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Piquet Avatar
Piquet Gold Member Pat K
Novato, CA, USA   USA
1972 Austin Mini
1982 Triumph TR8 "Nobby"
I sold my 1982 fuel injected Canadian-export TR8 yesterday on craigslist/sf for $9800 and it is going to Alabama from California.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 02:20 AM by Piquet.

Attachments:
20181010_143510.jpg    45 KB
20181010_143510.jpg

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
In reply to # 1598848 by Piquet I sold my 1982 fuel injected Canadian-export TR8 yesterday on craigslist/sf for $9800 and it is going to Alabama from California.

Dang!

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
ghawbrey Avatar
ghawbrey Greg L
Lafayette, LA, USA   USA
Finished installing the hood fasteners on the Solo2 car.

1980 TR7 DHC Sprint Conversion
1974 Jensen Healey
1976 TR7 FHC Solo II Project
1993 3000GT VR4

Attachments:
IMG_20190302_191325022.jpg    43.8 KB
IMG_20190302_191325022.jpg

Yes No Thank
FOURFORTYFOUR Avatar
FOURFORTYFOUR MICK POPOWCER
Philadelphia, PA, USA   USA
Looked out my back window at the snow on my TR7 convertible car cover and wiped a tear from my eye. The weather has been so bad in my area, what with constant precipitation of various sorts since I bought the car last summer, that I've hardly been able to drive it. While I guess it's nice to keep the mileage down, I bought the car to have fun with, not to drive to car shows and park it the rest of the time. Oh well....

Yes No Thank
trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
It has been ridiculous here in the Philly region, Mick. Seems to be no end in sight. sad smiley

Yes No Thank
FOURFORTYFOUR Avatar
Sucks Craig. I've been wanting to take the ol' lady up to New Hope or wherever. She has an illness that makes her too weak to ride her motorcycle, so she says the next best thing to a bike is riding in a little British sports car with the top down. Hope the weather breaks soon. I miss the droughts we used to have back in the day...

Yes No Thank
Ragtopman1 Avatar
Ragtopman1 Geoff H
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
Try living in Buffalo! �. Horrible winter and I think it goes for the rest of the US as well.
Hopefully spring comes soon and it’s a good one....

Yes No Thank
FOURFORTYFOUR Avatar
A-A-A-A-AMEN!

Yes No Thank
JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
A couple weeks ago I was a no-show at our Texas Triumph Register annual Polar Bear run (60 F, not very polar bear-y). Got about 25 miles from home and almost to the meet-up point, running a lovely smooth 65 mph on I-10 west into Katy when the oil pressure light came on - first time in 4 decades and 110,000 miles of ownership. Coasted off the freeway and found a moderate oil leak in progress so called the Hagerty gang to get me home. The leak source was the oil pressure switch (subsequent review of forums indicated this was predictable) and a PS-150 from Rock Auto put me back on the road for under $5.00. Bought a second as spare for the glove box. Since the car was up on the jack stands, also replaced the oil pump including new o-ring and hex drive shaft (that showed a bit of wear on the hex faces). This may not have been entirely necessary but for < $100 some peace of mind and hopefully extended reliability. Looking forward to the next 40 years of use.....purring once again.

jb

Yes No Thank
FrankieD Frank D'Angelo
King George, VA, USA   USA
Been tinkering with the engine bay all winter. Small things over the course of time are starting to add up. Hauling the "Silver 7" up to Northern Va saturday to get the engine and tranny reinstalled. Wanted to pretty up the engine bay while it was most accessible. Its also a good way to get acquainted with a few items not normally or easily within reach. Have to source some brake line clips. I broke of most of them while cleaning, painting etc... Today was the reconditioned carbon canisters and new brake master.

Attachments:
20190305_125305.jpg    69.1 KB
20190305_125305.jpg

20190305_125259.jpg    52.8 KB
Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster