Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tlambing Avatar
tlambing Tim Lambing
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Darn,
Thanks for the info and price you mentioned is what I’m afraid of... sorry though I meant to reply to the vermillion TR7 on a previous thread I guess...glad to see you are in STL. I’m in KC but from STL.

The orange looking paint job on that one must have been pricey.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tlambing Avatar
tlambing Tim Lambing
John,
I meant to post a message to your thread so not sure if I will mess up again? So hear goes: referring to your vermillion TR7-

Curious what was involved in getting your car painted? Did you take anything apart?

I have had my TR7 for 4 years and have always kept it garaged and our of bad weather. Mechanically, my car is great and I have a whole new interior that I am waiting to put in. Thinking I will strip my old interior prior to paint?

Did you have body work done or any rust areas? Did you have to remove the top and frame, windshield, door cards, trunk lining, etc? If you didn’t...did the shop go this far?

What all did you have re-sprayed?

My car had been in the shop for 4 months (Aug-Dec) and was pretty dirty when I got it back... in December, I made the mistake of going through a quick car wash and knew my car wasn’t waterproof.

Fast forward to this weekend and I found standing water in my trunk where the spare is. I had zero rust but now have surface rust to address.

Not sure what I have on my hands but curious about what your paint job...

your car looks great. What all was done and if you don’t mind-ballpark- what does something like this cost? I’m ok spending money and want it done right but don’t want to get robbed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Tim, I see that you are in KCMO. I am in KCKS and my car, not quite finished, is at Empire Automotive down on the SW Boulevard, west of 7th St. I can meet you there to show you the paint work and you can talk with Matt Pluff about the approach he took to painting it, if you would like.
Jim G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0591.jpg    40.3 KB
IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg    40.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tlambing Avatar
tlambing Tim Lambing
Jim that would be great. Sending you a message.

ghawbrey Avatar
ghawbrey Greg L
Lafayette, LA, USA   USA
Welded up a strut tower brace for the Solo2 car

1980 TR7 DHC Sprint Conversion
1974 Jensen Healey
1976 TR7 FHC Solo II Project
1993 3000GT VR4

Attachments:
IMG_20190108_154447118.jpg    57.7 KB
IMG_20190108_154447118.jpg

IMG_20190108_154439625.jpg    65.6 KB
JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
Reference: Post #1307 (Tim Lambing)

Tim - appreciate the kind comments on the paint job; it honestly looks better in person than in the photos and is nicer than when new. I spent about a year trying to decide what I was going to do with the paint. I had quotes on options ranging from inexpensive tape & spray up to virtual bare tubs, with estimates ranging from under $1000 to $10k. Obviously this is an emotional decision more than a financial one - financially I don't think there is any way to justify a fine paint job on a TR7 but personally I felt I had to go pretty far or not at all for a car that has been with me for nearly 40 years.

In the end I chose a middle path - removal of everything that will come out, except inside the engine bay, interior and trunk. So off came hood, trunk lid, doors, door cards, windshield, top, sill plates, luggage rack, bumpers, air dam, all lights including the pop-up headlights, front quarter windows, valance below the windshield, sun visors, window racks. Every piece was renewed - sanded down close to bare metal or original vermillion to remove any trace of the green paint. Anything that was removed was cleaned and painted, most of the rubber and plastic trim pieces were carefully cleaned with rubber seal cleaner and re-used (they were in amazingly good shape) while those parts such as the door window trim were replaced with bits from Rimmer. As this came to completion I did a fair amount of detail work on the interior including re-staining the door cards (if you can find the right color, it comes out looking absolutely new).

Finding a shop to do this is a challenge. In Houston, I "interviewed" a number of shops, many will not touch a vintage car or have backlogs that stretch literally years. I found an independent family run shop that mainly does insurance repairs but takes on an occasional restoration as sort of a hobby to give the staff a break from replacing bumpers and doors on collision-damaged SUV's. My 7 had virtually no rust but lots of little dents and dings suffered during 110,000 miles and through four children. They (JJ Auto Body) were absolutely committed to excellence, always erring on the side of doing too much as they knew short-cuts would show. They sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded, blocked, repaired and re-sanded. When the shop was busy the 7 went to the back of the line, but when slow periods emerged they were hard at it. Five long months through the Houston summer and into a rainy-rainy fall that delayed final painting for weeks until the conditions were ideal.

I'm hesitant to share an exact price as it would be easy to critique, and this is a hobby so justification is by definition, unnecessary. Property and stocks are investments, this was a journey with an old friend who has been with me for a long, long time. Middle path yields a cost near the middle range. There is cleaning and mechanical work yet to do in the engine bay, yet she is running well as so far am I.

Couple of progress shots attached, good luck, best, John B.

Attachments:
20180706_123531.jpg    54.2 KB
20180706_123531.jpg

20180831_114847.jpg    45.4 KB
20181103_100408.jpg    47.7 KB
20181106_110100.jpg    67.9 KB
TR3barton Avatar
TR3barton John Taylor
Greenfield, MA, USA   USA
Glad you did the work !!!

tlambing Avatar
tlambing Tim Lambing
John,

Thank you for the great details. This has been really helpful.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1587998 by robtr8 Previous Owner to the PO I bought it from in ATL ran it through Earl Sheib or something.
There isn’t any overspray thankfully but there is a lot of bumps in the paint, probably from the cleaner they used not flashing off properly before they shot it with lacquer.
Plus tons of door dings down the chine.

I got a quote for $7,000-$12,000 for a full rotisserie restoration. Nope.
My neighbor who restored his 260Z took 4 years to do his own restore in his garage. Nope.

I went ahead and did a full Rimmer Brothers interior and all the typical bolt-on bits for the motor. Easily doubled the cost of the car without moving the value needle at all.
I’m not going to bother with the exterior. It is what it is.

I don't know what a full rotisserie restoration is. A bare metal respray? Interior replacement, engine rebuild, suspension rebuild? If it is the whole tamale, that seems like a screaming deal to me. I stripped my car down to the shell, put it on a dolly, and hauled it to the body shop. A bare metal respray, three small rust repairs (about the size of a quarter dollar) set me back $6,600. That included soda blasting too. It was a base coat/clear coat paint job.

It was $2,500 to rebuild the motor and I did the tear down and reassembly with a mild cam and high compression pistons. Then there was blasting and powder coating the wheels, new brake MC, clutch MC, clutch disk, brake hoses and pads, new rotors, new shocks, etc. Heck, the new exhaust system was $1,000. New tires were $500, and it was probably another $1,000 to undo all the hacks the previous owner had installed (bent, broken, worn out and missing engine, fueling and cooling bits). New carpet, heater box rebuild, stereo, PS rack rebuild, the list goes on.

Total cost was $15,000 give or take plus the cost of the car.

Cost of enjoying a warm day of top down driving: Priceless.

So, $12,000 for a "full rotisserie restoration" seems cheap to me, especially since it sounds like there will be a minimum of your labor involved in the deal.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

bowen6951 Avatar
bowen6951 Gold Member rob bowen
Fontana, CA, USA   USA
Hi Vance,
glad to see I'm not the only one that doesn't know how to manage their investments. I'm somewhere around your figure (maybe a little north even) but I love driving the car. Thank, Rob

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Getting a car stripped completely and worked on with a rotisserie for that quote is incredibly inexpensive. Same make, far different model but my TR4, a body off, turned on a rotisserie and completely restored probably cost close to 100K.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1590201 by JGug1 Getting a car stripped completely and worked on with a rotisserie for that quote is incredibly inexpensive. Same make, far different model but my TR4, a body off, turned on a rotisserie and completely restored probably cost close to 100K.

Yikes!

OTOH, I am sure the restoration was done in incredible detail.

Imagine how much it would cost to restore, say, a Bizzarrini. $500k easy, I would imagine. Most of the parts would need to be made. Now that is a very high, thin market to be involved. So it all depends on the depth of your passion and the thickness of your wallet.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Frankly, it is madness to restore a car like a TR3 because it will never be worth near what the cost of restoration was. A Jaguar, yes. A '60s Mustang, yes. There are others that could be restored for about what the cost of my TR4 cost with an opportunity to get back what went into the restoration. The thing is I've seen people doing restorations on Falcons and 3 speed column 6 cylinder Chevys. It is a matter of emotion, not common sense.

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
Agreed! Whatever floats your boat, I guess. A "hobby" is a losing proposition no matter how you look at it.

urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
It’s been a relatively dry and quite snowless start to winter here off the coast of Maine. I store my ‘77 FHC and my ‘80 Spitfire in a barn of a property for which I serve as the caretaker. With our first major storm predicted for this weekend, I took the opportunity to fire up the TR-7 and enjoy a round-the-island drive of about 10 miles.

The ‘77 has an ideal combination of a manual choke and the 5-speed transmission. So despite sitting since Thanksgiving it fired up and warmed up nicely. With the property owner up for a vacation, I gave her a ride around the island, esconced in original green plaid.

I returned the car to the barn with a sigh as it will likely be quite some time before the roads are cleared of salt.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster