Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
If you are worried about the springs popping out at full droop, you have options. You can install slightly shorter bodied shocks or you can install limit straps. This is something you would encounter if you installed coil over springs in the stock location or if you went with much stiffer springs and threaded perches. A buddy of mine installed rear Konis that were originally fitted to an Alfa Romeo GTV6. If you wanted a non adjustable OEM replacement shock, you would have to find a chart that lists the size, and mounting styles. You would also have to look at cars that have a similar weight over the rear wheels. FWIW the rear tires on a TR8 both carry around 550# with nobody in the car. Add a full tank of gas and a couple of passengers and that number easily climbs to 700 per. You could also install adjustable universal race shocks that are marketed more by size than by application. My race car has chains as limit straps. They have a turnbuckle on them so they can be dropped in seconds. I've used metal cable, MGB rubber limit straps, and aftermarket kevlar ones as well. Heavy duty ratchet strap webbing also works well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
Update on my battery issue - when I mentioned the unwillingness to hold a charge to the island mechanic, he noted that he’d had success with connecting the battery to as high a charge rate as he could accomplish. That “cleaned” up some portion of the cells and that helped the battery recover fully and hold its charge.

So instead of a 2 amp charge, I went for the highest I had, a 6 amp, and after a few hours of charging, I tested the battery and found it had 12.6 volts at the terminals. After a cold, cold overnight, it was down to only 12.3 and it fired right up.

I’ve disconnected the battery for winter storage but might buy a trickle charger as it’s in an unheated barn.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
I've been told by "battery people" that if you fully charge the battery every 90 days, it will increase it's life. Been working for me on my motorcycles and I don't have to worry about cords plugged into electrical outlets for great lengths of time.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
My 1980 TR7 came home from an extended stay at JJ Auto Body in Houston, where it was returned to the original Vermillion splendor of it's youth. In a moment of weakness 20 years ago, I had the car repainted British Racing Green to cover up the ravages of time, kid's bikes, DO's (dropped objects....) and daily driver duties. But it was never right, and now the car I bought in 1980 is back home again, following a weekend stay at Houston Autorama. Couple pix attached - before and after.

Attachments:
20180623_065624.jpg    51.5 KB
20180623_065624.jpg

Autorama 6.JPG    61.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Autorama 5.jpg    66.1 KB
Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
NICE! (either way)

Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Wow that red POPS! Your car looks great.

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
Replaced the oil filter because when cold starting (below 30°) it was leaking profusely. Once warmed up no problem. It wasn't loose. I'm hoping it wasn't the seal between the spin-on adapter and block. All was good after replacing the filter but it wasn't that cold today so I'll have to check it again when it's colder. I didn't bother changing the oil, only about 1000 miles on it.

urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
While this island suffered through a White Thanksgiving, Christmas had been preceded by warmer weather and a heavy bout of rain. With no snow on Christmas Day, I treated myself to a sports car drive. It was too cold to fold the Spitfre’s top, so I took the TR-7 out for a 30 minute drive around the island.

Snow is predicted for the weekend, so that might have been the last drive in either car until next Spring.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

Attachments:
261C466A-E79A-4637-A2E7-28078D9F0DA1.jpeg    90.3 KB
261C466A-E79A-4637-A2E7-28078D9F0DA1.jpeg

7BD8D3AB-597B-4A6A-BA04-E6F9C45712CA.jpeg    43.2 KB
ukphiltr7 Phil UK
NswSydney, Nsw, Australia   AUS
I looked at the photo's of my TR and wished that I know when I was going to see her again after her long journey from Sydney to the UK.

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, MO, USA   USA
55 degrees and humid. Good day to play with the brakes.
Took about 3 hours. Glenn's kit is great.

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X), Glenn's Wilwood kit, Ted's everything else.
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X), Craven, IPD.
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

Attachments:
IMG_0972.JPG    41.6 KB
IMG_0972.JPG

Rburgess Avatar
Rburgess Randy Burgess
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Nice, how about a photo of the whole car? Like the wheels.

RangerMK Avatar
RangerMK Mark Morgan
Ballwin, MO, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "HSD"
Pulled the Tango Uniform alternator out of the HSD (High-Speed Doorstop), took it to a local auto parts store to get the pulley and fan removed...and then got caught up in other activities. Therefore, installation of the replacement alternator will probably take place next weekend. Frustrating, because we had temps in the low 60s and clear skies in St Louis over this weekend.

Attachments:
Triumph TR8 1980 Ballwin 190105.JPG    39.5 KB
Triumph TR8 1980 Ballwin 190105.JPG

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
In reply to # 1587844 by Rburgess Nice, how about a photo of the whole car? Like the wheels.

Just a green wedge with a bad respray. (PO to the PO.) But it's a solid original 8 from ATL.

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X), Glenn's Wilwood kit, Ted's everything else.
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, GB10, GB25, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X), Craven, IPD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-07 05:07 AM by robtr8.

Attachments:
IMG_0541.JPG    76 KB
IMG_0541.JPG

tlambing Avatar
tlambing Tim Lambing
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Curious what was involved in getting your car painted? Did you take anything apart?

I have had my TR7 for 4 years and have always kept it garaged and our of bad weather. Mechanically, my car is great and I have a whole new interior that I am waiting to put in. Thinking I will strip my old interior prior to paint?

Did you have body work done or any rust areas? Did you have to remove the top and frame, windshield, door cards, trunk lining, etc? If you didn’t-did the shop go this far?

What all did you have re-sprayed?

My car had been in the shop for 4 months (Aug-Dec) and was pretty dirty when I got it back... in December, I made the mistake of going through a quick car wash and knew my car wasn’t waterproof.

Fast forward to this weekend and I found standing water in my trunk where the spare is. I had zero rust but now have surface rust to address.

Not sure what I have on my hands but curious about what your paint job...

your car looks great. What all was done and what dies something like this cost? I’m ok spending money and want it done right but don’t want to get robbedsmiling smiley

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Previous Owner to the PO I bought it from in ATL ran it through Earl Sheib or something.
There isn’t any overspray thankfully but there is a lot of bumps in the paint, probably from the cleaner they used not flashing off properly before they shot it with lacquer.
Plus tons of door dings down the chine.

I got a quote for $7,000-$12,000 for a full rotisserie restoration. Nope.
My neighbor who restored his 260Z took 4 years to do his own restore in his garage. Nope.

I went ahead and did a full Rimmer Brothers interior and all the typical bolt-on bits for the motor. Easily doubled the cost of the car without moving the value needle at all.
I’m not going to bother with the exterior. It is what it is.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster