Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

What did you do with your TR7/TR8 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JGug1 Avatar
JGug1 Silver Member James Guglielmino
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Mine is sitting under a plastic film at the restoration shop waiting for the seats to come back from the upholstery shop. But, meanwhile, quite a little work was done on reassembling the TR3.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0919.jpg    41.1 KB
IMG_0919.jpg

Left Side from rear.jpg    50.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
The temperature outside was above freezing so I was able to get the garage up above 40 degrees. I removed the cribbing from the TR3 and lifted the TR8 in the air to start springs upgrades. First remove rear axle to drop fuel tank and replace bushings. Has anyone tried using the tow hooks and a cherry picker to lift a TR8?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Attachments:
On Cribbing .JPG    58.5 KB
On Cribbing .JPG

trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
One last project before she's tucked away till spring. It looks much better now. Thanks Pat L.

Fuel is topped off and stabilized. Trickle charger is trickling, and the wheels are off the ground. That's all she wrote till the salt is washed away.

The wife was not amused when I said the old steering wheel was getting mounted to the living room wall!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 04:34 PM by trekcarbonboy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190120_104154.jpg    44.7 KB
20190120_104154.jpg

20190120_115354.jpg    42.8 KB
20190120_123654.jpg    34.4 KB
JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
Reference: Post #1322:

I would not try lifting your 8 by the tow hooks - I think you would run the risk of warping the frame. These are not tremendously stiff vehicles, unibody design. When putting a body on a rotisserie with the hood, trunk, doors, engine, tranny, rear end, suspension......all removed, you still need to weld supports into the door jams to keep the spacing correct. Lifting full weight on the tow hooks would yield a lot more stress than that.

Just an opinion, eh? Best, John B.

Pat.L Avatar
Good point. I had considered bending the bumpers up , but I forgot about the flexibility of the DHC's,

In reply to # 1590759 by JohnBags Reference: Post #1322:

I would not try lifting your 8 by the tow hooks - I think you would run the risk of warping the frame. These are not tremendously stiff vehicles, unibody design. When putting a body on a rotisserie with the hood, trunk, doors, engine, tranny, rear end, suspension......all removed, you still need to weld supports into the door jams to keep the spacing correct. Lifting full weight on the tow hooks would yield a lot more stress than that.

Just an opinion, eh? Best, John B.

Patrick
TWOA

bkwanab Phil Grice
Florence, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "Black Knight Wannabe"
I have lived in California for 30+ years but now reside in Oregon. While in CA I frequently removed and evaluated the effects from the removal of the various emissions parts for a wide range of English cars, from Jensen Interceptor thru' TR7. Removing most will hurt performance unless adjustments are made. I came to the eventual conclusion that most were beneficial when installed correctly and some were critical to the cool running of the engine. The EGR for instance insert a small amount of exhaust gas to reduce the combustion temperatures to reduce the production of NOX.

Simply removing or disabling the EGR will increase combustion temperatures and the overall heat producing in the engine compartment. In summer LA traffic you can anticipate serious overheating without your EGR unless you've the fuel richness which can help but make the exhaust stink even more than before. It got so I could tell when an EGR valve wasn't functioning in the traffic ahead of me by the stench.

The AIR pump was a stupid idea. It injected ambient air into the exhaust to reduce the ratio of pollutants emitted. Removing it will result in a SMOG test failure, both visual and tail pipe emissions. In areas where only the visual inspection is done people have successfully removed the guts of the AIR pump and left it installed. That will free up perhaps a whole horsepower but what's the point.

In summary, the removal of any and all emissions parts will require re-tuning your engine to compensate. I did so every two years until it got to just be a PITA. Now I live in Oregon and don't need to anymore. Yippee.

Pat.L Avatar
Pulled the rear axle and fuel tank. Axle needs new bushings and Pinion seal. Fuel tanks needs rust cleaned and sealed. When you buy a TR8 that has a new external fuel pump it is not always a good thing.

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
Rusty intake fuel pump..JPG    77.8 KB
Rusty intake fuel pump..JPG

Rear Axle and fuel tank removed.JPG    41.7 KB
Buddy Palumbo Avatar
Buddy Palumbo Jeff Lemon
Lincoln, NE, USA   USA
I am fitting the header to my TR7 Sprint conversion. Unfortunately, the header sold by Rimmers as fitting LHD and RHD drive needs to be beaten to death to clear the steering shaft. I've had to beat on both sides of the header and will be making a 1/8" sandwich plate and using two gaskets to bring the header out to clear the steering shaft. I've also included an older picture or a brake repair I did a while back. My old master cylinder reservoir had cracked, and of course you can't buy one without buying the master. You CAN buy one for an MGB that fits, but it has to be mounted with the filler cap to the back on the lower side. I added a hole in the front for filling it. I have since replaced the rubber plug with a coarse threaded brass bolt and an O ring.

Attachments:
TR7 brake reservoir.JPG    43 KB
TR7 brake reservoir.JPG

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Clever. Really bad news that you are having to beat the header to fit. What about heat and gentle bending?

Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
I used moyer fuel tank repair to clean and seal the tank...in western Pa...if you do not want to tackle yourself...

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Pat.L Avatar
In reply to # 1594264 by Bergie I used moyer fuel tank repair to clean and seal the tank...in western Pa...if you do not want to tackle yourself...

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Looking to do a DIY, and there are closer radiator shops near me that i have used in the past. I already cleaned the tank with Toilet Bowl Cleaner (Hydrochloric Acid), it did a good job on the rust.

Patrick
TWOA

Pat.L Avatar
Rear Axle ready for swing arms and installation after gas tank is done. New pinion seal and I hope to stop that leak, but it was minor.

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
Rear Axle ready for installation.JPG    34.9 KB
Rear Axle ready for installation.JPG

JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
Pretty. I love it when progress occurs.

rschlemm rod s
king george, VA, USA   USA
celebrated Sir John Blacks birthday by taking my 7 for a winter drive, weather was cold but heater worked great.

Attachments:
IMG_3586.JPG    103.1 KB
IMG_3586.JPG

IMG_3579.JPG    88.6 KB
JGug1 Avatar
Mission, KS, USA   USA
I REALLY like that 7in yellow.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster