AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Put a new seal in the clearly seeping heater valve after I checked that the capillary tube functioned. Since it's near impossible to access once installed I put it on the MGB and gave it a ten mile road test and 1 hour cool down with no signs of leakage.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
IMG_3504.JPG    58.5 KB
IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3507.JPG    51.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3508.JPG    40.9 KB
IMG_3512.JPG    73.9 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Rest of the parts cleaned up, blasted and painted. Found some foam for the doors. Still looking for some suitable foam for the evaporator and some seal material for the drain and bulkhead. Evaporator is being pressure tested and should be ready for pickup today. Still need to buy a new A/C valve suitable for R134 and hoping Brian's new bushing tests out ok.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 08:00 AM by LaVerne.

Attachments:
IMG_3514.JPG    50.2 KB
IMG_3514.JPG

IMG_3515.JPG    49.4 KB
IMG_3516.JPG    39.7 KB
IMG_3517.JPG    50.1 KB
Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1601325 by LaVerne Rest of the parts cleaned up, blasted and painted. Found some foam for the doors. Still looking for some suitable foam for the evaporator and some seal material for the drain and bulkhead. Evaporator is being pressure tested and should be ready for pickup today. Still need to buy a new A/C valve suitable for R134 and hoping Brian's new bushing tests out ok.

Have fun drilling out all those rivets, did you? I put mine back together with a mix of rivets and sheet metal screws so that the next poor bastard that needs to get in there can do it in far less time.

A very good move to go completely through the heater box in detail. 40 year old foam seals are completely rotted, and getting in there is a bit of work, so better now than later.

I buggered the wiring to the fan motor when I got mine back together, so I kept blowing fuses. Finally figured out that I had the wrong wires going to the motor, and swapped them back into their correct location. The heater now works perfectly. Still need to hook up the AC though...

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Are these seals used in the heater assembly without AC or heater/AC combination?

I'm to the stage where I can test these seals but I'd like to have the actual pipe end that the seal gets pushed into. The copper end with the raised bead. So far no luck finding a dead heater that some would be willing to cut that end off so I could do some testing.

BT

Attachments:
TR8 heater bush seal-poly.JPG    19.6 KB
TR8 heater bush seal-poly.JPG

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601378 by Bpt70gt Are these seals used in the heater assembly without AC or heater/AC combination?

I'm to the stage where I can test these seals but I'd like to have the actual pipe end that the seal gets pushed into. The copper end with the raised bead. So far no luck finding a dead heater that some would be willing to cut that end off so I could do some testing.

BT

The seal is used for the heater core connection on A/C+Heater boxes - only one is needed as the other connection to the heater matrix uses traditional heater hose and a hose clamp (aka jubilee clip).

The seals for heater-only boxes are different, and are also unobtainable.

For the AC+Heater boxes, the pipes are metric. The inner pipe for your seal is 14mm, roughly 9/16". I do not have the inner dimension of the pipe that the seal slips into.

The reason that on one wants to cut the end off a heater matrix for you is that the heater matrix for the AC units is different from the heater only units, and it is no longer available. So cutting off the end of the heater matrix would destroy it when no replacements can be had.

Instead, it makes sense to send the whole matrix for a trial fit, and then return it to the owner.

Look for someone on the list who is currently rebuilding their heater, as it is more than a little work to get the heater matrix out of the box as it involves removing the dash and drilling out many rivets to get at the darned thing.

LaVerne has his box dissembled at the moment. Contact him with this request. Here is the thread: Heater box.

Vance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 03:13 PM by Darth V8R.

Yes No Thank
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Vance, pop back over to the Muffler bumper subject and page 5. What heater unit is that? This is the bushing that I've been working on.

Now there is another bushing?????? Now you've thrown a new stick at this old dog.............
\
BT

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Rotted seals ???.... Good for at least another 15 minutes..grinning smiley Where did you source the big pore stuff to go around the A/C evaporator? Also the seal material for the bulkhead and drain?

In reply to # 1601373 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1601325 by LaVerne Rest of the parts cleaned up, blasted and painted. Found some foam for the doors. Still looking for some suitable foam for the evaporator and some seal material for the drain and bulkhead. Evaporator is being pressure tested and should be ready for pickup today. Still need to buy a new A/C valve suitable for R134 and hoping Brian's new bushing tests out ok.

Have fun drilling out all those rivets, did you? I put mine back together with a mix of rivets and sheet metal screws so that the next poor bastard that needs to get in there can do it in far less time.

A very good move to go completely through the heater box in detail. 40 year old foam seals are completely rotted, and getting in there is a bit of work, so better now than later.

I buggered the wiring to the fan motor when I got mine back together, so I kept blowing fuses. Finally figured out that I had the wrong wires going to the motor, and swapped them back into their correct location. The heater now works perfectly. Still need to hook up the AC though...

Vance

Attachments:
IMG_3265.JPG    42.1 KB
IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3271.JPG    54.5 KB
IMG_3413.JPG    64.7 KB
IMG_3309.JPG    70.3 KB
Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
There is just that one bushing/seal Brian. The other pipe uses a conventional hose clamp arrangement. I'll send you an email. The non A/C cars do not use the seal/bushing. hey have conventional hose clamp arrangements.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-11 06:38 PM by LaVerne.

Yes No Thank
Ron Avery Avatar
Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA

You do great work, those components look better than new!

Ron
1972 GT 6 MK 3
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

+1 Yes No Thank
  LaVerne thanked Ron Avery for this post
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Also put some new bushing in the steering column and have it ready to go back in the car when the time comes.

Attachments:
IMG_3525.JPG    45.7 KB
IMG_3525.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG    51.4 KB
IMG_3528.JPG    43.6 KB
IMG_3529.JPG    40.2 KB
Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601388 by Bpt70gt Vance, pop back over to the Muffler bumper subject and page 5. What heater unit is that? This is the bushing that I've been working on.

Now there is another bushing?????? Now you've thrown a new stick at this old dog.............
\
BT

That is a heater + A/C box. You are working on the correct seal for that type of box, and the seal is NLA. It is circled in the attached photo, and only one is required.

The heater only box has TWO seals that are circled in the other photo. They are no longer available (NLA) just like A/C seal.

Vance

Attachments:
AC+Heater.jpg    35.3 KB
AC+Heater.jpg

2008-03-07-05 The leak.jpg    40.7 KB
Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
So the last image is a non A/C heater box I'm guessing?

Yes No Thank
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That explains it. We're working on the heater/AC unit. If we can nail this one down, maybe we'll have a look at the other. Man that's' a complicated looking heater.

BT

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Brian:

I have sent you an email that my Triumph Breaker has used A/C heater boxes and I am to call him this afternoon for pricing. If the price is in my range and if I can just send you the pipe I will or if necessary the whole box.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1601519 by Bpt70gt That explains it. We're working on the heater/AC unit. If we can nail this one down, maybe we'll have a look at the other. Man that's' a complicated looking heater.

BT

More complicated than it needs to be, possibly. The Triumph TR7-8 heaters used a thermostatic valve, so the temperature of the hot air is self regulating. Most heaters simply let the user set the valve opening to their desired temperature and deal with any fluctuations in coolant temperature by adjusting the valve.

Not Triumph. Once the user dials in the desired temperature, the heater self adjusts to compensate for coolant temperature fluctuations. So instead of your legs melting when you are going up a long hill, the valve gets old, pops a leak and piddles on your leg.

While I appreciate the attention to detail on the part of Triumph, simpler is usually more reliable and is to be preferred. IMHO, of course.

Vance

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster