The all-new Front Page News Feed is now live   Read the announcement
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Using the front cross member as a single jacking point?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
For us poor bastards who don't have a decent lift built into their garage - what would be used as a single jacking point for raising the front of the car? Is the front cross-member safe?
Here's my situation - the rear end is already supported on jack stands for my rear end and gas tank removal. The nose of the car is fairly low at this point - so I was thinking of accessing the cross-member (engine cradle) with my hydraulic floor jack from behind..I was also thinking of using a 2X4 as well to spread the load.
Is this a good idea (I don't know much about the cross-member and don't want to dent it).
Thanks all,

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
garageoperations3.jpeg    51.3 KB
garageoperations3.jpeg

Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Go ahead and jack it up under the cross member. If your worried about denting it, throw a 3"x3" block of wood in the center of your jack's lifting cup. When you try and get both ends in the air, its easier if you drive the front of the car up on to a small ramp and then lift the rear end. Once the rear is supported, you can still get the jack under the front cross member because the front is already raised slightly. I have two sets of wooden ramps theat get used often. Started with a 10' long piece of 2X10 pressure treated. Cut first piece about 4.5', second piece about 2.5' and third piece about 18". Give or take. Instead of cutting straight through, cut on a 45*. Stack them up and screwed them together. Since they are PT, I leave them outside. Use them for oil changes, loading low cars onto the trailer as pre ramps to the metal ramps, and as descibed above. I originally built them for the race track. TR8 race car is so low that the jack won't fit under the front subframe. I had these in the pit area, and when I drove back in after a session, I'd drive the fronts right up onto them. Beautiful car. Cavalry Blue and Aran Beige have always been my favorite TR8 colors. Too bad they are so rare.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-20 07:05 PM by TR8todd.

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I jack there all the time (at least until I got my QuickJack). I've never used anything more than a hockey puck on the jack saddle. I do try to position the puck close to the edge of the subframe, rather than in the center, my thinking is that the vertical portion will be a bit more rigid.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Thanks to both for confirming my plan.
It worked by first lifting on the cross member going in from under the driver's door for the initial stage and then using some shorter jack stands to temporarily support the car. Then the second stage lift was done from the front where I could get more travel from the jack handle. So now she's level and I can finally get under the front end to inspect, tear apart and start buying more new stuff. Wife is freaked out by all the small packages that show up at the door displaying the Union Jack in various forms..

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Hockey puck. Thats a good idea eh. I have a pile of round pieces of wood that are left over from drilling holes in house framing. As a plumber, there are days when it seems all I do is drill holes for pipes. I get saw dust in places I dont even want to talk about, and often twist an ankle stepping on circles of wood coming down off ladders.

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1597875 by Carb-Dave For us poor bastards who don't have a decent lift built into their garage - what would be used as a single jacking point for raising the front of the car? Is the front cross-member safe?
Here's my situation - the rear end is already supported on jack stands for my rear end and gas tank removal. The nose of the car is fairly low at this point - so I was thinking of accessing the cross-member (engine cradle) with my hydraulic floor jack from behind..I was also thinking of using a 2X4 as well to spread the load.
Is this a good idea (I don't know much about the cross-member and don't want to dent it).
Thanks all,

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

That's how I jack the front of mine to install the cribbing that allows me now to use a creeper under the car. The floor jack has a rod up through the middle to stabilize the vertical wood block while jacking to get the extra height. Once the gas tank and rear axle is back in I will put the cribbing under the rear tires and jack stands at the front jack point to drop the motor. Hope I am high enough.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Attachments:
On Cribbing .JPG    58.5 KB
On Cribbing .JPG

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Patrick - which hard-top is that and how does it attach to the body?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
In reply to # 1598601 by Carb-Dave Patrick - which hard-top is that and how does it attach to the body?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

It is made by Snug Top. They are still in business but only make pick up caps now. In the front it attaches the same as a DHC. In the rare are ā€œJā€ hooks clamped to the soft top frame. Top needs painted but inside is in good shape.

Patrick
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Pgreb Paul Greb
Ayr, ON, Canada   CAN
I have mine off now as it has gotten bend over the years. Rebuilding it with steel gussets and boxing the bottom in for greater strength. Will send some pictures when done

Paul
1960 TR3
1980 TR8

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
In reply to # 1598672 by Pgreb I have mine off now as it has gotten bend over the years. Rebuilding it with steel gussets and boxing the bottom in for greater strength. Will send some pictures when done

Please do - I'd like to see how people have modded or fixed their hard tops. I will start a hard top topic for everything hard top related including where to find (or make) parts!! My Smoothline top is, of course, no longer supported and I am in need to mounting hardware. I believe it uses the same J-hook system in the rear.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
In reply to # 1598773 by Carb-Dave
In reply to # 1598672 by Pgreb I have mine off now as it has gotten bend over the years. Rebuilding it with steel gussets and boxing the bottom in for greater strength. Will send some pictures when done

Please do - I'd like to see how people have modded or fixed their hard tops. I will start a hard top topic for everything hard top related including where to find (or make) parts!! My Smoothline top is, of course, no longer supported and I am in need to mounting hardware. I believe it uses the same J-hook system in the rear.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Dave:

Glad to see a hardtop topic as I am just using a battery hold down J hooks. If I had a picture would be nice of the correct bracket as I may be able to make one..

You say your Smoothline is no longer supported but their web site still shows a Wedge hardtop being made. Did you try and contact them? The factory is just east of Pittsburgh PA.

Patrick
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Patrick - as far as I know, Smoothline bought Parrish Plastics a number of years ago. Parrish was he original manufacturer of my top. Smoothline intended to support all of their products, however, they never actually made a TR7/8 top due to lack of demand. So they show it on their website as a legacy product, but really, they know nothing about it. So I'm on my own.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1599226 by Carb-Dave Patrick - as far as I know, Smoothline bought Parrish Plastics a number of years ago. Parrish was he original manufacturer of my top. Smoothline intended to support all of their products, however, they never actually made a TR7/8 top due to lack of demand. So they show it on their website as a legacy product, but really, they know nothing about it. So I'm on my own.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

I hope that's not true, they took an order for one from me!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
In reply to # 1599232 by darrellwalker
In reply to # 1599226 by Carb-Dave Patrick - as far as I know, Smoothline bought Parrish Plastics a number of years ago. Parrish was he original manufacturer of my top. Smoothline intended to support all of their products, however, they never actually made a TR7/8 top due to lack of demand. So they show it on their website as a legacy product, but really, they know nothing about it. So I'm on my own.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

I hope that's not true, they took an order for one from me!

Darrell - did they confirm that they would make one for you? If they did, that's good news for me as well. I've left them several emails about the wedge top with no reply. Previous owner confirmed with them that they never made one and would probably not do a one-off. This was about a year ago.
Just out of interest, are you getting it painted or vinyl covered to match your convertible top color? My top is painted black, but I have a feeling there was once vinyl on it.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1599386 by Carb-Dave
Darrell - did they confirm that they would make one for you? If they did, that's good news for me as well. I've left them several emails about the wedge top with no reply. Previous owner confirmed with them that they never made one and would probably not do a one-off. This was about a year ago.
Just out of interest, are you getting it painted or vinyl covered to match your convertible top color? My top is painted black, but I have a feeling there was once vinyl on it.

Yes, the guy did say he didn't know if anyone was around that had actually built one before, but didn't say it would be a problem. But we'll see if one ever shows up!

I got the "flat black" finish:

Almost flat black finish, very low sheen, reminds one of hot rod primer as seen on the latest exotics. Not paint, this tough composite vinyl material, factory bonded to the hardtop fiberglass shell, is extremely durable, super easy to maintain and will probably outlast your car. No need for painting!

I was contemplating painting to match the car color, but went with this option.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster