AutoShrine Sponsor

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Road America...Elkhart Lake, WI 2009

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GOF 2009 433.jpg    37.7 KB
GOF 2009 433.jpg

GOF 2009 488.jpg    59 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GOF 2009 502.jpg    32.6 KB
GOF 2009 534.jpg    33.5 KB
BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
When I saw that photo I thought to myself that looks amazingly like the stretch of track heading down to turn 12. The group I race with, we consider RA to be our home track.
Very cool!

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Ya it was a lot of fun. I followed the guy going under the track thinking he knew where he was going.... he didn't and by the time I got back with the group at the end of the line I missed any instructions... probably something about don't be stupid. I was the last car and following an MGA with a trunk flopping open and most of the cars disappeared in the distance. I had handed my daughter the camera and told just keep shooting pictures and i decided "hey I'm on a race track with a supercharged MG.... lets roll". So I planted my foot and my daughter was screaming the whole time for me to slow down. I caught up with the rest of the pack and went between the freeway drivers..which were actually running at a pretty fair clip themselves. We got 4 laps. I learned about brake fade with drum brakes, which I had been working pretty hard. In the last photo I came down this hill which makes a hard left at the bottom....when I went to brake there was almost nothing.....I had a lot of butt pucker going around that corner. I was well in front of all the cars seen in that photo when we made the next go around. Ya we weren't racing but I was having fun. No sooner than they got us off the track in some side area for a group photo than some IMSA type racer came screaming by.... I was impressed. Me and a friend went out one evening and drove the original road course 11 miles? Don't remember but one can only imagine what it must have been like back in the day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
GOF 2009 436.jpg    56.4 KB
GOF 2009 436.jpg

GOF 2009 438.jpg    43.8 KB
GOF 2009 554.jpg    31.9 KB
GOF 2009 455.jpg    60.2 KB
BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
The hard left turn. Yup. Turn 5. That is the 2nd fastest part of the track heading into the slowest turn. It can get pretty dicey in the TR7 race car when you are doing about 115-120 mph heading into that and the brakes start giving out! Or when the back brakes lock up because the rear gets too light heading down hill and you get into a spin. Lots of pucker factor there, but I really do enjoy driving that track. Except maybe in the rain. The TR 7 handling is just nasty in the rain and that car seems to be out to kill me in the rain.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster