Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Nice car, it'll be interesting to see if he gets his price, there are a lot of nice ones out there for a lot less. The resale red paint job looks nice but if it was me repainting I think I would have gone with a BRG, look how nice Paul's car looks.

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
Mine is in the process of being returned to original Brooklands Green.....Cheers!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
Paul,

So you've got two '77 TR7s and they're both green, you must really like that combo. Ironically while I've owned a number of Brit cars and my favorite color is BRG I've never owned a BRG Brit car. My TR7 is due for some light bodywork and paint and I'm seriously considering jumping in with both feet and finally getting my BRG car even though a color change would be considerably more involved.

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
No I only have one...somehow I listed two but don't know how to delete one....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

sliproc Avatar
Paul,

A couple of questions, so the current color on your car(BRG)isn't the original color and is Brooklands Green a solid or metallic color? When I was shopping for my TR7 the first thing I wanted was a BRG paint job, I was disappointed to find out that the '79 model year didn't offer it only a dark metallic green. BTW, unless your photos are old the current paint looks really nice.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Brooklands Green is a non metallic color.

Attachments:
IMG_8918.JPG    67.9 KB
IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG    53 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_8911.JPG    28.3 KB
IMG_8927.JPG    60 KB
sliproc Avatar
LaVerne,

That Brooklands Green looks like it could pass for a BRG, my feeling is there is no exact shade of BRG, it seems like every maker had their own idea of what BRG was. Back in the '70s there was a dealer, Anaheim Imports, they sold all makes of imported British cars. I remember one time seeing two different makes side by side, I forget which makes, probably something like a Jag and a TR6, they were both BRG but they weren't the same shade of green.

I love the original stickers. I could kick myself when I think about it, when I made the deal for my car it had the sticker on it, when I came back later to pick it up the dealer had washed it and prepped it up for delivery, the sticker was gone, I guess I was so excited I didn't think about I just drove off.

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
BRG was discontinued after '76. Brooklands green began in '77. As Laverne stated, BG is a non metallic color. Later metallic color was probably Poseiden Green...came with gold striping....My car had been repainted and was different than the original (BG) except for inside boot and under bonnet...paint was ok but beginning to oxidize....classic 30 foot good paint. It has been an adventure because old paint reacted with new paint and has been taking much longer due to that and the weather....BG seems to have a bit more black in it that BRG when side by side....Cheers!

sliproc Avatar
Someone on the board, Todd8 I think, has commented about problems with the original paint and painting over it. Apparently for best results it's recommended you strip it to bare metal.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
British Racing Green is just a sales tool for car manufactures. It origins go back to the early 1900's and carried up to around 1970 when racing cars .... in modern times F1.... were required to run colors assigned to the country of origin.... French Blue....Italian Red...USA White with Blue Stripes.....Japan...White with Red....Germany Silver...UK Green.

So any green that any given manufacture wants to call BRG is free to do so....and that is what they have done. MG for example had colors they named Light BRG and later Dark BRG . The color on my MG TF was also sold by the manufacture (Miata) as BRG.... in a limited production special saluting the heritage of where the cars roots came from.

It's all down to your personal preference..... I think the best examples of what I envision BRG to be are the Jaguar version from the early 50's They have a distinct blackish shade to them and you will know what I mean if you ever see one in person with an original shade. Generally speaking greens either lean towards a blue scale or a yellow scale, but I do not see that with the earlier Jag color. I had another MG here 25 years ago I painted Posidien green and I quite like the color. I would describe it as being towards the blue scale while my TF is towards the yellow spectrum.

Attachments:
2008GlenwoodSpringsMGshow&rallye045.jpg    78.5 KB
2008GlenwoodSpringsMGshow&rallye045.jpg

P1010188.JPG    55.4 KB
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1590189 by LaVerne It's all down to your personal preference..... I think the best examples of what I envision BRG to be are the Jaguar version from the early 50's They have a distinct blackish shade to them and you will know what I mean if you ever see one in person with an original shade. Generally speaking greens either lean towards a blue scale or a yellow scale, but I do not see that with the earlier Jag color. I had another MG here 25 years ago I painted Posidien green and I quite like the color. I would describe it as being towards the blue scale while my TF is towards the yellow spectrum.

LaVerne:

Ooohhh. Pretty.

Not you, the TF! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

sliproc Avatar
LaVerne,

I know of what you speak, I've seen a number of high end Jag restorations and you're right their BRG is very dark, in the shadows or at twilight it can look almost black. I think Jaguar was probably closest to having an official BRG if there ever was such a thing. You're right though, color choice is a personal thing, after all you're the one who's going to have to live with it.

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB
Better with my navigator...(Daughter so watch it). smoking smiley

Attachments:
2008 Glenwood Springs MG show & rallye 042.jpg    51.4 KB
2008 Glenwood Springs MG show  & rallye 042.jpg

rallye.jpg    67.2 KB
2008 Glenwood Springs MG show & rallye 054.jpg    60.4 KB
IMG_0201.jpg    55.4 KB
BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
LaVerne,
Do you remember where that last picture was taken?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster