AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I have read the posts below and I do not see or read an answer to this question so here goes....the manual says to replace the backing washer between the circlip on the seal on the pinion end of the spool valve body. Well there isn't one in the kit and there wasn't any washer there when I removed it. So my question for those of you who have been there and done that is, Was there really one there or is the manual in error? And if it's needed can anybody supply some dimensions?

Thanks,

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2708.JPG    47 KB
IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_2720.JPG    40.8 KB
IMG_2724.JPG    35.7 KB
sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
Yep, same as mine. I didn't find a washer and put it down to the previous owner's ministrations - the same as the rack seals. With the seal that came out of the pinion, I couldn't see that there was enough space for a washer and figured the new seal was an 'improvement' on the older design.

Brent

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Thanks Brent.... I decided the best course of action was to take the spool valve nd the housing to a friend who has a hydraulic shop a mile and a half from where I live. The bore had a couple of very light rust spots which I would be reluctant to throw brake hone on. I also figured I had a good chance of screwing up the seals and since he knows what he's doing I told him to go ahead and assemble it it the bore and if he determined that a backing washer was in order after he installed the pinion seal to do so. I'll pick it up next week. I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy until then.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BondoRacer Avatar
BondoRacer Roman H
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Mine did'nt have a backing washer and since my car is very low mileage I am pretty sure that no one was in there before. I replaced the seal and reassembled it as I found it. I wish I had a hydraulics expert as a friend. Replacing the 4 teflon o rings was a real bugger.

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
Those teflon rings - I agree. I stated somewhere else that it is easy to get them rotated 90 degrees. They are not the same thickness vertically and horizontally and I found it surprisingly easy to lose track of how they were rotated as I worked the last couple into place.

Brent

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster