Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tr7 engine noise
Solved
Pine City, NY, USA   USA
Bought 1980 tr7 about 2 months ago. Hasn’t been running for almost 10 years,52000 miles on it. New battery,oil change a little tinkering starts right up. Sounds good ,Idels a little fast 2000rpm. Changed coolant started every day while working on cleanup the rest of the car. Today after car was running Iheard a clunking in the engine the ideal increased and got gray smoke from exhausted. Could this mean a bent valve or something even more?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1601701 by Gensel gensel Bought 1980 tr7 about 2 months ago. Hasn’t been running for almost 10 years,52000 miles on it. New battery,oil change a little tinkering starts right up. Sounds good ,Idels a little fast 2000rpm. Changed coolant started every day while working on cleanup the rest of the car. Today after car was running Iheard a clunking in the engine the ideal increased and got gray smoke from exhausted. Could this mean a bent valve or something even more?

Gray or white smoke means you probably lost a head gasket. Blue smoke is an oil leak from a broken ring or worn valve guides. Black smoke is a rich mixture.

If it is a coolant leak as a result of a lost head gasket, one or more of the spark plugs will be very clean relative to the others, as it is getting steam cleaned by superheated coolant. You might also be able to detect the bad gasket with a compression test.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
Pine City, NY, USA   USA
I will check compression, Thanks!

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Jim,

I blew a head gasket once, it's an unmistakable experience, it was like a fog bank had moved in, massive clouds of white smoke. If you've blow the head gasket you'll know it. Vance is right, compression test first, it'll let you know if you're going to have to tear down the motor. As far as the clunking is concerned see if you can tell where the noise is coming in the motor(high or low)also you can add a can or two of STP, it won't fix the problem but if it quiets the motor you'll know the problem is internal. At this point I wouldn't run the motor for anything but testing and make darn sure you maintain the coolant level.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Gensel gensel thanked sliproc for this post
Pine City, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for advice, compression seams ok,so I took all the drive belts off air conditioning,alternator,fan and air pump. Started the engine no clunking . Reattached belts one at time ,ruled out everything except the fan.
Fan very lose and sloppy. I’am going to replace tolerance ring. Still a little smoke , could be carb. Problems.
Will let you know!

Yes No Thank
pdx7 Bruce Fogerty
Wilsonville, Bend, OR, USA   USA
Jim, if the fan is loose just replace the viscous fan clutch. I have had to do this on TR8 & TR7, they both use the same fan clutch, Rimmer has the best price even with shipping. I paid 119.00 each with shipping. Not too hard to replace, just need a light duty pulley remover of some sort. On the TR7 you have to remove the whole fan pulley mounting assembly, it mounts to the front of the engine with 3 or 4 bolts. The tolerance ring will not remove any slop, it's just for creating an interference fit for the fan clutch inner sleeve. Fan clutches going out is common on a lot of cars, they don't last forever and make a helluva racket when they fail. When the fan clutch is good there is no side play whatsoever. Replace before it comes apart and possibly damages your engine compartment, hood, or radiator.

Bruce

Yes No Thank
Pine City, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Bruce, that’s exactly what I’am doing,thanks again

Yes No Thank
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
My guess is that your water pump is failing or the jackshaft that drives it. Would definately cause noise and white smoke but not a fog bank.

+1 Yes No Thank
  Gensel gensel thanked Andrew1966 for this post
tirebiter Avatar
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
If it's fuel injected the grey smoke could be indicative of a WAY OVERRICH mixture. I don't believe the fan clutch suddenly getting a loose bearing would cause grey smoke or an increase in idle speed.

Yes No Thank
Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
I vote for the viscous coupling. When mine went I thought the engine was eating itself alive! Relatively easy fix, but very important. Mine did not smoke, however. Let us know what it turns out to be.

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster