TR7 Brakes

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

terryjm1 Terry Merrell
Saint Louis, MO, USA   USA
“I replaced the valve in the TR8 with a new Land Rover proportioning valve with very good results.”

Mind sharing what Land Rover prop valve you used?

Regards,

Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1591622 by terryjm1 “I replaced the valve in the TR8 with a new Land Rover proportioning valve with very good results.”

Mind sharing what Land Rover prop valve you used?

Regards,

Terry

The part number was mentioned earlier in the thread.

I used the LR part out of desperation because no one seemed to have them for the TR8 when I was restoring the car. Since then, they seem to have become available again - don't know why. The only TR8 valves I saw then were on eBay, and people were asking $200 and up for them. The LR valve was $90 + shipping at the time. Physically identical, although if I remember correctly one of the connections was blocked off with a pipe plug. Easily removed, so all the pipes hooked up without modification once I removed the plug.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

terryjm1 Terry Merrell
Hello Gary,

On the uprated servo did you also install the master cylinder that goes with it? I have that servo installed on my TR7 but also installed the matching master cylinder which has a larger diameter piston. I don’t know if installing a standard TR7/8 smaller master would cause your problem but that servo (Leyland Sherpa van) originally came with the larger master cylinder. I installed it as I installed larger front calipers and wanted to move more fluid. It works perfectly.

Regards,

Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
terryjm1 Terry Merrell
Vance, thanks. I now see the part number. That is for a Discovery 1.

https://www.lrdirect.com/ANR3194-Brake-Pressure-Reducing-Valve-Ds/

I have a Discovery 1 and have looked at the prop valve many times wondering if it was the same casting as the TR7/8. You can buy them new for about $50. There are even aftermarket suppliers for it. I am installing disc brakes on the back of one of my wedges and will be giving that prop valve a try. Already have larger discs and calipers on the front. Thanks!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-23 08:30 PM by terryjm1.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster