The Wedge Shop/Griffin Radiator

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
I just received my aluminum radiator from the Wedge Shop a Griffin Radiator. My car a 1979 TR7. So the question - on the drivers side there is a opened threaded port. I would like to know what plug size do I need to purchase? Secondly, I assume that the plug should be brass? I wrote and called Woody but have not heard back so I decided to throw the questions out to the crew. Thank you.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
Is it threaded hole vs push in?...if threaded then likely standard 22mm x 1.5m ....lots of choices on the fan switch temp closing temp from saab or volvo...

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Isn't getting that taping welded in the whole point of a $500 plus shipping Griffin rad from Woody as opposed to getting a $180 with free shipping universal Griffin Rad from Summit. Seems like you are trying to reverse engineer the more expensive rad to be like the less expensive rad.

Yes No Thank
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Todd - I totally agree but as I tried to find a plug to fill the opening and found a somewhat plug .......

I start the car and within minutes the upper part of the radiator starts leaking the opposite side of the plug like a sieve as I am crying seeing the radiator leak and my wife filming not me but the leaking BRAND NEW ALUMINUM RADIATOR.

I was speechless for any nice words but will be sending back the radiator as I put my old loyal radiator back in the car.

What a waste of time and now will cost me to send the radiator back to Woody.....

Need I SAY MORE

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1596980 by helpme Todd - I totally agree but as I tried to find a plug to fill the opening and found a somewhat plug .......

I start the car and within minutes the upper part of the radiator starts leaking the opposite side of the plug like a sieve as I am crying seeing the radiator leak and my wife filming not me but the leaking BRAND NEW ALUMINUM RADIATOR.

I was speechless for any nice words but will be sending back the radiator as I put my old loyal radiator back in the car.

What a waste of time and now will cost me to send the radiator back to Woody.....

Need I SAY MORE

Well does the leak have something to do with your plug or is it leaking at a totally unrelated area? I mean, hell, if the thing was defective it goes back on The Wedge Shops dime, no? - Pete

Yes No Thank
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Leaked from the opposite side of the 22mm plug... Go figure. Was a wasted effort to say the least.

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I recently heard of another one of those leaking, and the responce from the vendor was that the purchaser had to deal with Griffin directly on a warranty claim. Are you sure its not leaking from the hose connection and spraying back on to the radiator? Can you see where the leak is coming from or are you just getting a puddle under the car? Whats the set up in your car? TR7, TR8? AC, non AC? 3" or 2.25" core? Stock fans or aftermarket fans? Stock fan switch or aftermarket adjustable fan switch? Maybe we can walk you thru using a universal Griffin rad for a lot less money. There must be half a dozen of us on this forum running them now. I have them in several of my cars now.

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
radiator fluid can leak from one side and run over to other side so make sure the 22mm plug has thread sealant on it...Todds is right tighten the hose clamps down-then go back and re tighten after an hour or so ...-I add two at each connection and smear a little permatex blue in the inside....if it still leaks i would pull it and have pressure tested at a local radiator show to confirm where and if you have a leak.....then figure how to handle warranty knowing what the issue is...

.....BTW has the car run on the road yet?....I had a new radiator I installed that started to leak a little after hard highway runs and ultimately it had a very tiny rock ding hit that was my issue which caused a pesky leak...use one of these now to prevent:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/otw-11-2321-12/overview/

Yes No Thank
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Hopefully, all of you can see our issue at present. My wife did the install and was not happy with the results----

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.25.27 AM.jpg    36.8 KB
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 9.25.27 AM.jpg

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
Talk to woodie ...its usually pressure tested from factory before it leaves and that is a big leak to miss with quality control....

Yes No Thank
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
I am sure that Woody would see the issue and understand the situation. He is a man of integrity and would do all in his power to rectify the situation. Thank you for all your help. Things happen and as a man of medicine I realize it is just a radiator and to never lose site of what really counts.....

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I had a leak, Woody arranged a shipping label to return to Griffin for repair. In my case, it looks like a bad weld. Other than a couple of weeks to transit time, I felt it was handled well. I probably could have gotten someone to weld it locally for a reasonable price if I was really in a hurry.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0267.jpeg    33 KB
IMG_0267.jpeg

Yes No Thank
Mr. Nuts Avatar
Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
Two of the three radiators I got through Woody from Griffin leaked. I'm amazed people think Griffin pressure checks them. If so, I guess at atmospheric pressure on a work bench! Too bad really, they are nice looking radiators.

Mine went back on my dime and good thing it did. Nine months later and having not received it back, Griffin denied they even received. But, I had the receipt for shipping and the guy's name that signed for it. So, they sent me another one...….. that I gave away. Hope it all works out for you though.

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
I would be talking to these folks if I needed one now non ac car.....

https://www.cgj.com/2013/08/22/product-spotlight-triumph-tr8-aluminum-radiator/

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1597950 by Bergie I would be talking to these folks if I needed one now non ac car.....

https://www.cgj.com/2013/08/22/product-spotlight-triumph-tr8-aluminum-radiator/

Nice that they include a petcock. I always manage to get coolant everywhere but the container I'm trying to catch it in by pulling the lower hose.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster