Supplier gripes

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1900Mark Mark Senter
Troy, OH, USA   USA
Have used VB on and off since 1979. 1st for a 1974 MGB and now for a 1979 TR7. Never had return problems but always called to make sure I did required info and steps. LMC as well for a 66 fFord f100 . Do wish we could keep more aparts available as at 40 years old its time to get as many as possible up todate again for their 50 anniversary.

Thanks to LMC, VB, RIMMER BROTHERS Aand other sercice center that remain deicated to keep our toys driving like new

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Only ordered from VB Twice. They were the only place world wide that could provide the air filter element for the fuel injected TR8.

Yes No Thank
nick Avatar
nick Silver Member nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1598589 by Carb-Dave I'll comment on one supplier that had sent me the wrong part off an ebay order - sportscarpartsltd. They handled the return process very well and apologized for sending me the wrong model of ignition coil.
The other suppliers have all been, to date, very good to deal with. I receive orders from Rimmers UK in less time than some domestic suppliers...

I've recently placed an order from Wedgeparts and got that 'not sure if I'll ever see the parts' feeling (you all know what I mean) and thinking if they were still in business?
On that note, has anyone tried using Robsport International? They seem to have a good quantity of both new and used parts for wedges.

As a general comment on suppliers - we should refrain biting the hand that feeds us. Unfortunately that means doing the proverbial bend-over maneuver once in a while. There seems to be fewer and fewer dedicated to the world of wedges.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

I have had good experience with Robsport. They are true enthusiasts along with S&S Preparations. They often have used parts that are listed at Rimmer as NLA.

nick

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1598589 by Carb-Dave
I've recently placed an order from Wedgeparts and got that 'not sure if I'll ever see the parts' feeling (you all know what I mean) and thinking if they were still in business?
On that note, has anyone tried using Robsport International? They seem to have a good quantity of both new and used parts for wedges.

I have ordered several times from Robsport. They answer their emails, and I have queried them from time to time for a part no one had. They are a breaker, so they have parts cars they will pull parts off for you if they have one. I got the fan extension for my non-AC TR8 from them by sending an email, and they replied they had one! I love those guys.

I have not had a significant issue with them at all. The worst thing I can say is that one or two of their rubber bits were a tad difficult to install as the dimensions were not spot on. I am just happy that they supply the bits they do. Their rubber stuff seems to hold up well, unlike some of the rubber items I have gotten elsewhere.

Recommended.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
JohnBags Avatar
JohnBags John Baguley
Spring, TX, USA   USA
I've had my TR7 for 39 years now and over time have watched the availability of parts slowly but surely fade, fade and fade away. I have a Roadster Factory catalog from the early 80's and virtually every single bit was available. Today, TRF has little left to offer. My best results (availability, fit, quality) has been from Victoria British (really) and Rimmer but have purchased from any and all over time - Moss, The Wedge Shop, British Parts Northwest, eBay, Rock Auto ($2.76 for oil pressure switch...). Have not tried EnglishParts.com yet but they list a pile of 7/8 bits also. This forum is great for interchangeability options when little else exists. I try to rebuild anything I can since I know it will actually fit when I put it back - alternator, starter, clutch master and slave. Yes, truly frustrating, exasperating at times especially for a hack home mechanic like me. But I do so enjoy the car when it is right, which it has been most of the last 4 decades. So in my view - God bless anyone who still carries TR7 parts.

Yes No Thank
sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
I have also had pretty reasonable luck with the main suppliers, pretty much an echo of what's already been said. EnglishParts.com I have used a couple of times. You need to know your part numbers if you order from them. They list the 7 and 8 as having the same brake rotors, for example, but I found them friendly and easy to deal with on the phone.

Brent

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1598836 by sheetsofsound .
I have also had pretty reasonable luck with the main suppliers, pretty much an echo of what's already been said. EnglishParts.com I have used a couple of times. You need to know your part numbers if you order from them. They list the 7 and 8 as having the same brake rotors, for example, but I found them friendly and easy to deal with on the phone.

My absolute favorite so far is British Parts Northwest. Sadly, they only have the more commonly needed parts, but what they do have are first rate, lightning fast shipping,and they answer their email promptly.

Robsport has the best selection of used parts, and many hard to find bits. They also faithfully answer their emails.

Rimmer has the best selection overall these days.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1599129 by Darth V8R

Rimmer has the best selection overall these days.

Vance

In addition, pretty good customer relations. Though I had a hint their offered pistons for my TR6 were Crown brand but not actually named as such in the catalog. I called RimmerBros and the order taker said "give me a minute, I'll check". A couple of minutes later an out of breath gentleman came back from the far reaches of their warehouse with confirmation. - Pete

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
I think it is a common and telling sign when you click on the ‘TR7/8’ link on a supplier’s website and start seeing Union Jack decals, floor mats and generic seat covers with ‘Triumph’ embroidered, that a supplier is slowly going away from the wedge. I predict in a few more years you will see more and more of that. At that point hopefully there will be more ‘breakers’ in the supply chain?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
urchin Avatar
urchin Jeffrey Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME, USA   USA
We own and adore vehicles from a manufacturer no longer in existence. We should be thankful that any vendor bothers with the TR-7 and TR-8 at all.

The central issue for all our suppliers - VB, Moss, TRF, even Rimmers - is that only a limited number of manufacturers will produce parts for our Wedges. No matter who carries the part, it will only be as good as the parts manufacturer provides. Too many enthusiasts don’t put many miles on their cars, which diminishes demand for maintenance or repair parts, which in turn reduces the number of parts manufacturers and/or forces them to move to lower-skilled contract manufacturers.

On the vendor side, not enough actually run Wedges [or Spitfires, I might add], to know if the part actually fits or works correctly.

In the end, I’m happy that any company carries parts from my Triumphs and will always be willing to dig into my food money to purchase the best quality part smiling smiley.

Jeff

Jeffrey Aronson
Editor, Rovers Magazine
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
'66 Land Rover Series IIA 88" SW
‘67 Land Rover Series IIA 109” SW
‘97 Land Rover Discovery I SE7
‘77 Triumph TR-7 Coupe
'80 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'66 Corvair Monza 110/4
www.landroverwriter.com
www.roversmagazine.com

Yes No Thank
Xseries Brian Ridley-Jones
WATERLOOVILLE, Hampshire, UK   GBR
I bought some bits from VB many years ago when I lived in the USA. I read the thread to note that the efi air filters were last obtained from VB. I have just gone to their on line catalogue, but my heart sank when I found that it was listed as a Spitfire GT6 booklet - and in a yellow flash (as in a comic or speech bubble) the words NOW INCLUDES THE TR7/TR8.
As per earlier comments, it is getting harder to find many of the parts. The TR Drivers Club in the UK are looking into the remaking of the nose panel (the front one in which the headlights go down) having found a company that will re-make them. The problem is that a minimum order of 20 is needed and unless Rimmers and Robsport will take 10 these may never be remade as at around $1,000 each there is not going to be a huge market for some years whilst scrapped car panels are cut out and re-used.
The low value of the TR7 and TR8 model is good for those buying the cars, but unless the value rises, who is going to spend $1000 on a front panel? Some would on a $25,000 car, but not on a $8,000 one.

Brian

Yes No Thank
Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
Lots of good conversation on this topic. Appreciate all the thoughts and points of view. I don't think there is any question that Wedges are the orphan of the Triumph clan and LBCs in general. I may have a controversial view on this, but I believe there are too many suppliers who simply "dabble" with Wedge parts. They take business away from suppliers who at least have a wide selection of available parts. For my nickle, I am going to support those suppliers who participate in our events and give us more attention. Also, this forum has seen the expansion of 3D printing for many small trim parts. 3D is now (inexpensively) available in a wider variety of materials. It is a cottage industry that some of our fellow enthusiasts are developing. That is great news for the future. Lastly, these cars will probably never become as valuable to collectors as some other LBCs. So what? did we buy a Wedge for a retirement investment? Maybe major body panels will become only available as breaker parts or be recreated in plastic in someone's garage. Wedges will survive. We are really very fortunate to have a fun sports car that is a pleasure to drive and can use to go fetch the groceries without a second thought about losing value. The value is in the enjoyment.
Charlie D

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Charles,

Yes, I think you might be right about your viewpoint being controversial. I don't recall anyone with a wedge ever complaining about too many suppliers. While there may be some that just "dabble" in TR7/8 parts supply, like any other business if they don't provide quality parts and service they won't be around for long. I don't see the "dabblers" creating much of a problem for quality suppliers like TRF or Rimmers.

If you think the Wedge is the black sheep of the LBC community try driving a Jensen-Healey, it's the black sheep of the black sheep. Also, the fact that the Triumph family looks down on the TR7 is one of the things I find appealing about the car, when I show up at a local Triumph get together nothing I like more than a couple of good eye rolls when I pull into the parking lot. It's almost as much fun as showing up at an Austin-Healey meet with a Jensen-Healey and having the sponsors try to find you a way out of the way place to park.

Yes No Thank
1900Mark Mark Senter
Troy, OH, USA   USA
Thanks to all of our TR7/8 suppliers, may they keep supplying parts for a very long time. It's no fun if we can not fix-em and drive them..

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster