Supplier gripes

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
I wonder how many of us are having this experience. I typically am satisfied with the level of service, shipping charges, and return policy that our specialty suppliers provide. Here comes the BUT. I recently received a wrong part, went to return it in the original packaging. Supplier said only accepts returns via Fedex ground. OK. $59 part plus $12.25 shipping, $16 return shipping. No credit for return shipping or initial shipping. So now I have $28.25 tied up in shipping. Correct part gets additional $22.50 shipping and HANDLING charges. Everybody needs to make a profit, but this feels like a real rip off. Most parts can be sourced through multiple suppliers. I learned my lesson, next order will be made with a clear understanding of shipping charges and return policy. "Policy subject to change without notice".
Charlie D

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve W
Buckeye, AZ, USA   USA
Did you order the wrong part, or did they ship the wrong part?
If you ordered wrong, the scenario you described would be acceptable to me.
If the vendor shipped the wrong part, then freight each way should be on them. At least that's how a company with good customer service should handle it.

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Charles,

Name names, who's the offending supplier, if you believe you've been ripped off why protect his identity?

Yes No Thank
Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
Nope, did not order the wrong part. Ordered the part listed for TR8. LMC is the vendor, better known as Victoria British.

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1598330 by Charlie D Nope, did not order the wrong part. Ordered the part listed for TR8. LMC is the vendor, better known as Victoria British.

I had a problem with them a couple of years ago and unless no one else has the part I will not buy from them. They sent the wrong windshield wiper and when I called customer service they said they would check on it. Two weeks went by and customer service called me back and said the wrong wiper had been put in the wrong bin. Goodbye. No exchange information. The cost was not worth pursuing. I am within driving distance of an independent LBC breaker who is a Moss Vendor, but he has little interest in Wedges. So depending on what i need I look at the others.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I used to order through VB before I knew any better. As I recall their stuff was satisfactory but they have gone the route multi brand suppliers including pickup trucks and God knows what else. Consequently the order takers know absolutely nothing about British cars or pickups for that matter. I feel LMC would be just as happy selling internet order replacement windows as car parts. - Pete

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
While Vicki Brit is not my favorite supplier, I still use them and am grateful they are around.

The sales volume for our cars is tiny, and they do need to make a buck. Having said that, I too have had problems with them on rare occasions.

The only one that has not messed up to date is Rimmer. Everyone else has had fitment, quality, or incorrect part issues on at least one occasion.

This is part and parcel of living with old cars, amigos. We should work with vendors to minimize this sort of thing, but honestly I am surprised it does not happen far more often.

The flip side of all of this was that I got a screaming deal from Vicki Brit on a TR8 water pump. $95, perfect fitment, and no problems when everyone else wanted $140 and up.

So you learn to take the bad with the good, and at least for me it is usually good.

Cheers,

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
Bluewedge Avatar
Bluewedge Mark S.
Mayhill, NM, USA   USA
1955 MG TF 1500 "John's MG"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
VB, that explains it. Was screwed by them when they went belly up as Long’s British Car Parts many years ago and then as VB they told me to check the internet for technical info about a simple part they sell. Won’t take a chance on them again.

Mark

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
You too? I sent them a check for some parts...They went belly up and I got neither the parts or my check back. Won't buy anything from them.

Yes No Thank
havfam George Haversang
Montville NJ, USA   USA
VB return policy via its website:

What You Need To Know Before Returning
If only we lived in a perfect world! Unfortunately, we don't, and things can go wrong. When that happens, we do our best to try to make things right again. But we need your help as well.

All returns must be in like new condition and in the original packaging. Please include a copy of your invoice, as that will make the process quick and easy.

We refund your payment the same way you paid. Refunds of less than $1 will not be made except by customer request.

We can't be responsible for damages, so please package your returned items carefully.

If you can ship the item back to us within the 48 contiguous states, you don't need to call for authorization. Just send it to us at:
17301 W. 113th St, Lenexa, KS 66219

If we shipped you the wrong item, send it back, and we'll send the right item and reimburse you the ground rate for your return.

Yes No Thank
Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
I had problems with both VB and Moss when trying to get a mechanical fuel pump for my 7....function arm was not long enough with spacer....too long without.....oh well..

Yes No Thank
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Yeah, I gotta go with Vance on this one, I look at VB as just another arrow in the quiver, I'm happy they're there. Some of their stuff is good some not so good. The last thing I got from VB was a clutch for my A/C compressor, it wasn't an exact replacement but it was inexpensive and it works great.

Things use to be a lot worse. When I first got my TR-7 if I needed a part I just went to the dealership and ordered it, they were never in stock even when there were brand new TR-7s on the showroom floor. By the mid '80s after Leyland crashed parts got really hard to come by. Since they were still late model cars mechanical parts were still available from local auto parts stores(clutch, starters, etc.). You could basically keep them running and that was about it. There was no internet so sourcing parts from England was all but impossible. Even when suppliers began to appear(if you could find them)you had to get a catalog from them by phone or mail, then order parts by mailing an order form with check or a credit card over the phone.

While VB is not high on my list of quality parts suppliers I'm just glad they're on the list.

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1598336 by Pat.L
In reply to # 1598330 by Charlie D Nope, did not order the wrong part. Ordered the part listed for TR8. LMC is the vendor, better known as Victoria British.

I had a problem with them a couple of years ago and unless no one else has the part I will not buy from them. They sent the wrong windshield wiper and when I called customer service they said they would check on it. Two weeks went by and customer service called me back and said the wrong wiper had been put in the wrong bin. Goodbye. No exchange information. The cost was not worth pursuing. I am within driving distance of an independent LBC breaker who is a Moss Vendor, but he has little interest in Wedges. So depending on what i need I look at the others.

I agree with most of what has been posted. And as I said in this earlier post I usually stay away from VB. Having said that I have had poor parts from the other vendors. I sometimes wonder if a manufacture is more of the problem than the vendor.

I am within 35 minutes of Team Triumph a major breaker and moss vendor who I will usually purchase used parts when possible, both becasue of price and quality. Also TRF is within driving distance and my local club makes two trips a year there which saves on shipping.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
nick Avatar
nick Silver Member nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
My most frustrating return experience I have had was with Rock Auto. These guys are pretty good and they have some very good prices. The shipping is reasonable. However, customer service is nonexistent. You can not call them now matter how hard you try. To return a part you have to submit to an online questionnaire. If you answer correctly you can return the part with no problem. But if you answer incorrectly your return is rejected. There are no second tries. Once rejected the part is yours.

nick

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
I'll comment on one supplier that had sent me the wrong part off an ebay order - sportscarpartsltd. They handled the return process very well and apologized for sending me the wrong model of ignition coil.
The other suppliers have all been, to date, very good to deal with. I receive orders from Rimmers UK in less time than some domestic suppliers...

I've recently placed an order from Wedgeparts and got that 'not sure if I'll ever see the parts' feeling (you all know what I mean) and thinking if they were still in business?
On that note, has anyone tried using Robsport International? They seem to have a good quantity of both new and used parts for wedges.

As a general comment on suppliers - we should refrain biting the hand that feeds us. Unfortunately that means doing the proverbial bend-over maneuver once in a while. There seems to be fewer and fewer dedicated to the world of wedges.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links