Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Getting up close and personal with my gas tank.
Some basic cleaning needed, but better than I thought it would be after 38 years. Note the liberated anti-siphoning plug! The pick-up filter basically disintegrated in my hand.
For cleaning, I'm leaning towards the toilet bowl cleaner method since viewing some convincing videos on Youtube. My rule of thumb for genuineness: the more dopey and amateur the presenter, the more I'm inclined in believing the results...
Any suggestions for coatings after it is cleaned?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
Tank.jpeg    42.3 KB
Tank.jpeg

Tankbottom3.jpeg    53.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
InsideTank2.jpeg    37.4 KB
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
tirebiter Avatar
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Use the vinegar along with a 5-10 pounds of nuts and bolts ... or pea stone. Seal it up good and tight so no vinegar will leak out. Roll the gas tank over and over in all directions a few hundred times (the more the better) to knock loose anything that can be knocked loose.

Let it sit overnight at least to allow the weak acid/vinegar to do it's work on any corrosion in there. Roll it over some more. When done rinse with a lot of water. "Sloshing compound" is the stuff to seal it with, as far as I know. Various brand names are available at a LOT of car restoration supply companies.

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
In reply to # 1595493 by tirebiter Use the vinegar along with a 5-10 pounds of nuts and bolts ... or pea stone. Seal it up good and tight so no vinegar will leak out. Roll the gas tank over and over in all directions a few hundred times (the more the better) to knock loose anything that can be knocked loose.

Let it sit overnight at least to allow the weak acid/vinegar to do it's work on any corrosion in there. Roll it over some more. When done rinse with a lot of water. "Sloshing compound" is the stuff to seal it with, as far as I know. Various brand names are available at a LOT of car restoration supply companies.

Jeff - I've actually got some white vinegar in the tank that has been sitting over night. not much sloshing though, as the holes were left open - none of the tape I had on hand was sticking well enough. I'll check and report back if I see a noticeable difference.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1595521 by Carb-Dave not much sloshing though, as the holes were left open - none of the tape I had on hand was sticking well enough. I'll check and report back if I see a noticeable difference.

For the two big holes, I cut some discs the same diameter as the sender/pickup from 1/8" plywood, and used the locking rings to hold them in place. Thin plastic would also be suitable. For the filler, a sheet of plastic held with a hose clamp works nicely.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1595467 by Carb-Dave Getting up close and personal with my gas tank.
Some basic cleaning needed, but better than I thought it would be after 38 years. Note the liberated anti-siphoning plug! The pick-up filter basically disintegrated in my hand.
For cleaning, I'm leaning towards the toilet bowl cleaner method since viewing some convincing videos on Youtube. My rule of thumb for genuineness: the more dopey and amateur the presenter, the more I'm inclined in believing the results...
Any suggestions for coatings after it is cleaned?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

I am involved with the same process right now. I used the toilet bowl cleaner and while it cleaned well it flash rusted after treatment while air drying. I need to wait now until weather warms enough to open garage doors to finish the process. I will probably clean again with vinegar and short pieces of chain. I used drywall screws on a TR3 tank but they were not heavy enough. I am looking at either Bill Hirsch tank sealer or Red Kote.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
one and done.....$300.....never think about it again...

http://www.gas-tank.com/

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Thought I'd update the thread with some more interior pics of my gas tank after cleaning - using 'The Works' toilet bowl cleaner, salt and ice cubes, sloshing it around and letting it sit for about 12 hours (as per TR8 Todd). Big improvement - but wondering if I should have left it sit longer?

Now onto the sealing stage - any suggestions for a particular type of sealant?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Attachments:
Afterclean1.jpeg    33.5 KB
Afterclean1.jpeg

Afterclean2.jpeg    51.5 KB
Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
My tank was way nastier than yours. After dumping what I could out of it I shoved the power washer in there and went to town blasting everything I could get at. I'd guess I got at least 3 cups of crap out that way. I then gave it about a 3 day soak with cleaning vinegar and a couple of cups of nuts and bolts with an occasional aggitation. Finished with a good rinse using the power washer again and the put the end of my shop vac in one of the openings and let it blow for a couple of hours to make sure it was good and dry. I'd like to coat it with the Hirsch sealer (I have used it several other times) but there is no way to get the excess out unless I dill a hole and weld in a bung for a drain plug...which I still might do.

Attachments:
IMG_1037.JPG    25.5 KB
IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG    30.9 KB
IMG_1148.JPG    53.3 KB
IMG_1149.JPG    46.4 KB
Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster