Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
While I was removing the gas tank on the TR8 I noticed a rubber bump stop above the right rear small silencer, but the one on the left was missing. I have looked at various vendors and did not locate one for sale. Does anybody know who makes one or a substitute? Is it very important?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
When you find out let me know.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1594193 by Pat.L While I was removing the gas tank on the TR8 I noticed a rubber bump stop above the right rear small silencer, but the one on the left was missing. I have looked at various vendors and did not locate one for sale. Does anybody know who makes one or a substitute? Is it very important?

Pat:

That is the bump stop for the rear axle. Instead of getting a loud clunk when the suspension bottoms, you get a soft thud. Rimmer sells replacements, and perhaps others do as well.

They rot and fall out, so if you decide to replace one, do both as you can be sure the other is on its last legs.

Probably made of the same material as the shifter bushings, which are notorious for perishing and causing sloppy shifter movement. All of the shifter bushings were missing on both the TR8 and the Great Pumpkin when I purchased them, as were the rear suspension bump stops. So it is de rigueur to replace them when you purchase a wedge.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1594232 by Darth V8R
That is the bump stop for the rear axle. Instead of getting a loud clunk when the suspension bottoms, you get a soft thud. Rimmer sells replacements, and perhaps others do as well.

Hi Vance,

Pat is correct, there are buffers above the rear mufflers.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0568.jpeg    26.2 KB
IMG_0568.jpeg

Pat.L Avatar
In reply to # 1594240 by darrellwalker

Hi Vance,

-Darrell

You beat me to it Darrell.

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
Rear_silencer_Bump_Stop_Left_Side.JPG    41.6 KB
Rear_silencer_Bump_Stop_Left_Side.JPG

LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
The remains of the two stops on my car were two different lengths.

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594240 by darrellwalker

Hi Vance,

-Darrell

Well, fudge.

I assumed he was referring to the axle bump stop.

It occurs to me that the function is similar. Since the mufflers are floating (not held rigidly in place) they can bang against the frame if you hit a sharp enough bump. So you would want the bump stops in place to prevent untoward noises coming from under the car: "WTF was that sound!?!" eye popping smiley

Mine were completely missing, so I never saw them and I did not know they existed.

Doh!

Vance

Pat.L Avatar
The problem is finding replacements. The only vendor I have found to carry a rear bump stop is Rimmers and they only have the axle bump stop. We might be able to use an axle stop if the height is the same.

Patrick
TWOA

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1594374 by Pat.L The problem is finding replacements. The only vendor I have found to carry a rear bump stop is Rimmers and they only have the axle bump stop. We might be able to use an axle stop if the height is the same.

I can measure mine tomorrow, but I think they are about twice as high as the axle bump stops.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Xseries Brian Ridley-Jones
WATERLOOVILLE, Hampshire, UK   GBR
I will try to find my NOS one and take dimensions and put up a picture. These have not been available since the early 90s.
Brian

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594374 by Pat.L The problem is finding replacements. The only vendor I have found to carry a rear bump stop is Rimmers and they only have the axle bump stop. We might be able to use an axle stop if the height is the same.

Would these work? Bump Stops.

Vance

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1594466 by Darth V8R

Vance

Here are the details on the Energy Suspension site:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.9166

They give the height as 1.74", which looks to be a tad longer that my originals, but of course they could be trimmed. I can also try to take a more accurate measurement later. They don't give the hole size, however. I also found these:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/9.9151

The height is 1 9/16", which looks closer, and they are for a 9/16" hole. Since Pat has an empty hole, perhaps he can check.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594468 by darrellwalker

They give the height as 1.74", which looks to be a tad longer that my originals, but of course they could be trimmed. I can also try to take a more accurate measurement later. They don't give the hole size, however. I also found these:

The height is 1 9/16", which looks closer, and they are for a 9/16" hole. Since Pat has an empty hole, perhaps he can check.

-Darrell

Darrell:

Damn. This is why I love this forum. With many brains applied to the problem a solution will emerge.

Vance

Pat.L Avatar
The hole measures 5/8”. I measured 1 3/4” in height of my existing right silencer bump stop.

I have one new bump stop from my TR7 and it measures 1 1/4” high and 1 1/4” width of top to go into a 1 1/8” hole.

In reply to # 1594468 by darrellwalker
In reply to # 1594466 by Darth V8R

Vance

-Darrell

Patrick
TWOA

Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
think i ended up using poly bump stops from a jeep wrangler that were a cross fit..same as what pat shows- energy suspension (red) ....have to find the older post......

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster