Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
I had looked at various methods on cleaning the rust out of my gas tank. There are two places around Pittsburgh Pa that will open the tank, sand blast the interior and seal with Red Kote. I settled on cleaning my tank first to see what condition it was before tanking my tank to one of them. I had looked at several DIY sealing systems but settled on the Bill Hirsch system.

About Three weeks ago, I used the Walmart toilet bowl cleaner trick which worked well but as I was not ready to seal the tank it flashed rusted on me. I then used vinegar, a milder acid, and bolts and agitation for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to warm up. After removing the vinegar I used Eastwood's metal wash to wash out all the loose particles from agitating with the bolts and vinegar. I just happened to have the Eastwood's metal wash, although I think any strong non film soap would work. It took three washes and rinsing to remove all the particles.

One of the problems with the TR8/7 tank is the removal of the excess material from inside the tank. I taped a 1/2 inch plastic pipe to my wet dry shop vac hose to vacuum out all the excess material through the three steps. The first step was to used the degreaser cleaner from the kit. After that you had to 100% dry the tank before using the etching solutions. I used my heat gun as a hair dryer would not fit into the fuel pump hole and i had the filler inlet all closed off..

The first two pictures show the cleaned tank and the last picture is with the sealer coating. The directions call for at least 24 hours of drying or preferably 72 hours. My tank will be empty for a couple of months so I am safe there. My tank did not leak before the cleaning but after using the rust removal solutions I had a some seepage around a couple of seams. If it had not been for this seepage I would probably not have used a sealer as the tank cleaned very well.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member

Attachments:
Cleaned_Etched_Tank_1.JPG    31.5 KB
Cleaned_Etched_Tank_1.JPG

Cleaned_Etched_Tank_4.JPG    33.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bill_Hirsch_Sealer_1.JPG    34.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Patrick - thanks for sharing. I'm at the point of doing the exact same to my tank. You managed to get it very clean and scale free inside - I'm impressed.
As for the Hirsch sealer, did you have enough? How did you coat the inside of the bowl - I'm assuming the sloshing effect took care of that?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
There was plenty of sealer. Even with lose I had about1/3 of a quart left over. The carb tank does not have the bowl so I cannot comment on that.

In reply to # 1601769 by Carb-Dave Patrick - thanks for sharing. I'm at the point of doing the exact same to my tank. You managed to get it very clean and scale free inside - I'm impressed
As for the Hirsch sealer, did you have enough? How did you coat the inside of the bowl - I'm assuming the sloshing effect took care of that?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Patrick
TWOA

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Did you use the shop vac to remove the excess sealer?

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Yes. It was an old vac so I used it. There seemed to be no adverse effect. I could not think of any other way except to drill a whole in the tank. There is the place where a drain plug should be, but then I would need to find someone to weld on a tank.

In reply to # 1601797 by LaVerne Did you use the shop vac to remove the excess sealer?

Patrick
TWOA

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1601769 by Carb-Dave How did you coat the inside of the bowl - I'm assuming the sloshing effect took care of that?

Hi Dave,

When I sealed my FI tank (using a moisture cure urethane, not the Hirsch sealer), I used a large syringe with some tubing on the end to squirt the sealer in/on the bowl. Sloshing may have got it just fine as well, but I figured it was worth the peace of mind.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Darrell - thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
What is that bowl for anyway? Maintain suction for the pump?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Hi Dave,

When I sealed my FI tank (using a moisture cure urethane, not the Hirsch sealer), I used a large syringe with some tubing on the end to squirt the sealer in/on the bowl. Sloshing may have got it just fine as well, but I figured it was worth the peace of mind.

-Darrell
[/quote]

Yes No Thank
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1601965 by Carb-Dave
What is that bowl for anyway? Maintain suction for the pump?

The fuel pickup tube sits in there (as well as the return), it is to keep fuel around the pickup when the tank is low and sloshes around.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank

To reply or ask your own question:

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster