Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
I thought I had posted this yesterday but I have not seen a post of it, so here it goes again. I am dropping the prop shaft as I work on various other repairs and up grades. Is there a way I can ascertain the condition of the CV joints? If I can't would a drive shaft repair facility be able to?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
My experience with bad TR8 prop shaft CV joints was a neutral throttle vibration. Also if I was to coast with no load. In my opinion you'd be better off getting a new one. If you do suspect bad joints. RimmerBros have new ones for around $160.00 - Pete

old guy Avatar
old guy bob k
sparta, tn., USA   USA
I had no problem telling mine was bad the whole car shook, when I took it off there was vey little movement to indicate it was bad. Went and bought a newer style without the CV joints just the u-joints at both ends. Cost more, but ...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
Bob K has it right. Get rid of the CV joints and you'll be happy and safe. Looks more difficult than it really is when you get into it.
Charlie D

POW Peter Wirth
Nothing wrong with the OE CV joints. Ask yourself how long did original shaft last. Also you have not determined if your current Driveshaft is bad. Compare the cost of U-joint modification to a new shaft. Last but not least, they give a good long warning when going bad and are super easy to change so unless you're sure it's bad now I would just use it until it hints of needing attention. - Pete

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Thank you for the information gentlemen. I have not had any problems with the prop Shaft that I am aware of, I just wondered if there was a way to determine the wear of a CV joint. From what I have read here I will just install what I have until I notice some pro0blem. Thanks again.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

POW Peter Wirth
To answer your original question. When mine went bad, and it was obvious from the in-car vibration, on the bench the shaft could be held with one hand an definite up and down play could be felt at the rear CVJ. It was hard to feel at first because it is difficult to discern between up and down movement and the normal wiggle that the CVJ is designed for. Interesting side note. The joint that went bad was the rear one and at the same time I noticed slight movement of the differential flange. I found the pinion nut that held the flange on literally hand tight. It should be at 120 ft/lb's. - Pete

Bergie Bob Berg
Tarpon Springs, FL, USA   USA
If your throwing grease or have any vibration then its time to replace....had one made at dynotech driveshafts...

Attachments:
F48B88B7-5E10-4582-B5B5-7B78DA5013D0.jpeg    40.7 KB
F48B88B7-5E10-4582-B5B5-7B78DA5013D0.jpeg

3DA54354-4E6C-49C3-A51F-CD3778F7E927.jpeg    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster