Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Master cylinder seal kits - which are best? Any to avoid?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Hey wedge heads,
I noticed that my master cylinder is constantly covered in brake fluid. So I am assuming that the reservoir seals are leaking.
If that is the case, which of the many seal kits available through ebay or other online sources is the best to use? Which ones should be avoided....or are they all the same, just branded differently? I don't want to be doing this more than once.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve W
Buckeye, AZ, USA   USA
I bought a master cylinder rebuild kit from the Roadster Factory, along with caliper kits, and rear wheel cyl kits about 2 years ago when I switched over to DOT 5.
The entire system has worked perfectly ever since. I believe the kits were all branded Lucas in the green boxes.

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Steve - thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the TRF kit out.
As for the changeover to DOT 5 - is it necessary to change all the seals in the system? The issue I have is I don't even know what fluid I have. All I know is that it is *dirty*..

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve W
Buckeye, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1594911 by Carb-Dave Steve - thanks for the suggestion, I'll check the TRF kit out.
As for the changeover to DOT 5 - is it necessary to change all the seals in the system? The issue I have is I don't even know what fluid I have. All I know is that it is *dirty*..

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

No, I don't believe you have to change the seals in the other components, but you must THOROUGHLY flush the system of all the old fluid.
But, it's your brakes. Don't mess around and take chances. If the master is bad, the fluid is filthy, and you don't know the history of the rest of the system, I'd rebuild everything.
The rebuild kits are cheap, as long as the caliper and wheel cyl bores are in good shape.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1594753 by Carb-Dave Hey wedge heads,
I noticed that my master cylinder is constantly covered in brake fluid. So I am assuming that the reservoir seals are leaking.
If that is the case, which of the many seal kits available through ebay or other online sources is the best to use? Which ones should be avoided....or are they all the same, just branded differently? I don't want to be doing this more than once.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Dave:

While the seals may be leaking, I would also inspect the fluid reservoir carefully for cracks. Forty years soaking in brake fluid embrittles the plastic, and the reservoir can be weeping through cracks. Mine was so brittle it fell apart in my hands. The master cylinder had already been rebuilt once with oversize seals, so I considered the whole unit scrap and replaced it. In general, the reservoir is not available separately, although there have been discussions about using an MGB reservoir as a ghetto style repair.

I drained the whole system during the rebuild, and refilled with DOT 5. No issues in 4 years.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links