Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Lumenition Optispark '81 TR8 - repairable?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
I'm still in the archaeological phase of prying into this car. Much of the wiring is degraded and when I popped the dist. cap off I discovered some more degraded wiring, with visible cracks in the insulation, from the Lumenition optical switch. This thing must have been installed about 30 years ago..eye popping smiley
Does anyone know the part number of this optical sensor or if it is even available today? Or is the real solution 1-800-Pertronix?

Back to the dodgy state of the wiring and sensor connectors under the hood. Has anyone replaced an entire TR8 EFI engine harness? is it even available?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Optispark.jpeg    44.2 KB
Optispark.jpeg

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1591155 by Carb-Dave I'm still in the archaeological phase of prying into this car. Much of the wiring is degraded and when I popped the dist. cap off I discovered some more degraded wiring, with visible cracks in the insulation, from the Lumenition optical switch. This thing must have been installed about 30 years ago..eye popping smiley
Does anyone know the part number of this optical sensor or if it is even available today? Or is the real solution 1-800-Pertronix?

Back to the dodgy state of the wiring and sensor connectors under the hood. Has anyone replaced an entire TR8 EFI engine harness? is it even available?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Dave:

That looks very repairable to me. You can cut and splice replacement wires, solder and heat shrink them. I have several repairs of this nature. They are neat, professional and very reliable. You can get replacement connectors, and replacement metric connector pins from British Wiring (www.britishwiring.com)

The part number for the optical trigger is CET160, but it ain't cheap. It will run you about $100 plus shipping. These guys carry the part, but I am sure there are many others. Autocar Motorsport.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Vance - good resources. Something tells me I'll be using them in the future..

I did find what I *think* is the same optical sensor on Ebay last night and hit the 'buy it now' button for $56 - shipping included. It looks identical in every way and is NOS.

I'm still interested in a complete engine harness - did anyone offer such a thing?

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
OpticalSensor.JPG    20.8 KB
OpticalSensor.JPG

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Oh - forgot to add the part/model number of the optical unit shown above is OS-50. Same beam orientation as the one I pulled out.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Mr. Nuts Avatar
Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
Several years ago, I loaned a FI harness to the TWOA. They sent it to British Wiring's parent company to use it as the pattern for making a reproduction 1981 FI harness. They made a few reproduction harnesses and were purchase by TWOA members. I think they were around $750. Then, BW could no longer get some connector and I never heard about them again. Check with someone in the TWOA hierarchy or BW and see what the new story is now. But, if not...…… time to rebuild your harness which doesn't look that difficult to me. Then you can send it to British Wiring and get the cloth cover put on it. Should be good as new.

I just remembered, there was problem with the repro harnesses, They used the wrong wire or connector and people were having problems. I never heard what the end result was of this affair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-22 06:22 PM by Mr. Nuts.

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Appears BW does have TR8 carb harnesses for sale for $750. I'll inquire with TWOA about the EFI harness.

I don't mind splicing, soldering and heat wrapping, it's finding the correct connectors, pins and seals that will be the hard part. BW has many of the more generic ones used, but some of the EFI sensor connectors were Bosch designs that were adopted by harness suppliers back in the day. The cold start injector is a good example - mine is very loose fitting and appears to have had its locking tabs broken off.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Gold Member Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
Dave, I have sold, installed lnition ignition for 35+ years & it is good stuff hand & fist over the stuff you can get today. I have 3 MGB GTs with over 300,000 miles on each with the Lum. ign. & no problems & I have a 74.5 GT V8 that I built in the fall of 83 when it had 103,000 miles on her & today she has 708,664 miles on her with the Lum. kit. One thing you need to do is put the control box in font of the radiator in the COOL AIR flow. If you look in the plug to the eye you have you can see a pin that you can push in & pull the wire out. Get some heat shrink & do the wires that need to be repaired & I would keep that eye around as a spare. My 2 cents worth

Attachments:
2187.JPG    57.9 KB
2187.JPG

2183.JPG    81.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2087.JPG    73.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster