AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lbcsteve Avatar
lbcsteve Steve Brooks
Henniker, NH, USA   USA
Hello All,

I am replacing the steering column bushing following Woody's instructions from the Wedge shop.

I have the pinch bolt removed from the universal, the set screw on the column inside the car is almost all the way out. The column moves back and forth in the universal so it isn't frozen there, the lower column just won't slide up as Woody's instructions say.
Bentley says it's a bit more involved with drilling out shear bolts, etc.

Am I missing something?

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
You need to remove the bolt in the universal and remove the bolt on the column that goes thru that metal circle. There is also a metal block that bolts to the column inside that needs to come out. You don't want to remove the shear bolts. Once those three things are removed, jam a screw driver into the split in the universal to pry it open and then go inside and pull the steering wheel real hard. It should slide straight out of the universal and thru the bushing. Don't pull it any more than you need. When you put it back together, you have to line the universal bolt up perfectly with the slot in the steering shaft. Same thing inside. Be careful you don't hit yourself in the head when you pull the wheel. Been there, done that, bled all over the place.

Yes No Thank
lbcsteve Avatar
lbcsteve Steve Brooks
Henniker, NH, USA   USA
Todd,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure of the "bolt through the metal circle" though.

????

Regards

Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Here is a picture of one that is off the car. It mounts right up against the underside of the steering column mount. It holds the upper steering column bushing in place, but it also will prevent you from pulling the shaft up thru said bushing. Just remove the bolt and it will slide down the shaft on its own. The rectangle block is the other part you need to undo. The shaft is a two part collapsable design. This the part that is designed to shear in an accident and collapse the shaft instead of your chest.

Attachments:
DSC03865.JPG    35.2 KB
DSC03865.JPG

Yes No Thank
lbcsteve Avatar
lbcsteve Steve Brooks
Henniker, NH, USA   USA
Todd,

Thanks, it all came together today, the bushing is in but I didn't have a helper to work the steering wheel for reassembly.
Hopefully tomorrow, as the weather here in NH is beautiful for driving with the top down.

Thanks again!

Yes No Thank
lbcsteve Avatar
lbcsteve Steve Brooks
Henniker, NH, USA   USA
This is a reply from a direct message I received from BCBennett.

I had my daughter work the steering wheel from in the car while I provided the cussing from in the engine bay.

It took about 10 tries of her pushing in on the steering while while I tried to guide the steering shaft into the clamp, all the while trying to keep the steering wheel straight ahead.

We finally got the column shaft into the clamp, the steering wheel wasn't exactly centerd but a trip to my local mechanic who did an alignment and was able to center the wheel straight ahead.

It was a pig of a job but not impossible.

I also replaced the bushings on the shift linkage, everywhere I read that this too was a "job" but I just removed and replaced the bolts one at a time, by the time I got to the last bushing, I had to use a large flat screwdriver as a pry bar to gently align for clearance for the bolt. Go figure.

Both jobs were well worth it!

Regards

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster