AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

davmach1 Avatar
davmach1 Dave Leininger
Andover, MN, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "The 8"
I'm trying to replace the rubber molding for the window on thr door and it looks like to get it on I will have to remove the window glass. Can someone tell me how to remove the window or if there is an easier way to do this. Thanks

Dave Leininger

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1598344 by davmach1 I'm trying to replace the rubber molding for the window on thr door and it looks like to get it on I will have to remove the window glass. Can someone tell me how to remove the window or if there is an easier way to do this. Thanks

Dave Leininger

Dave:

There are two pieces of weather stripping for the base of the window. The inner strip, and the outer. There is also the felt molding for the window guide, which is attached to the wing window. I am assuming that you are talking about the two strips that run across the top edge of the door.

The inner strip is part of the interior door card, and requires removal of the door card to replace. It is not available separately, so you would need to find a suitable substitute for that.

The outer strip is available separately, and is the one that fails first as it is exposed to the weather and sun which eventually take their toll. You need not remove the glass to replace it.

Roll the window all the way down. The outer strip can be removed by pushing down firmly on its top edge. It is secured by U clips, and the clips will pop free and the strip can be removed. If you are lucky, all of the U clips will stay with the strip, and you can maneuver the strip out of the door. The clips can usually be reused.

To install the fresh strip, you position it and use a J shaped tool to pull the U clips over the edge of the strip and the sheet metal lip inside the door. The clips and the strip are both available new from Rimmer and others. (YKC1023P and ZKC1942). Moss Motors offers an (overpriced) tool for installing the clips, part number 384-950 - but many or most simply bend a piece of sheet metal to the appropriate shape to get the job done.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
Charlie D Gold Member Charles Dankmeyer
Arnold, MD, USA   USA
Dave,

Vance has it right. Do not remove the window, trust me I learned the hard way. The "j" shaped tool is essential. You will fiddle for hours without one. Make or buy it. One of those simple tools that makes life easy.
Charlie

Yes No Thank
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1598344 by davmach1 I'm trying to replace the rubber molding for the window on thr door and it looks like to get it on I will have to remove the window glass. Can someone tell me how to remove the window or if there is an easier way to do this. Thanks

Dave Leininger

Here is how to make the best tool I have used. It worked better than the one I purchased from Moss

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/InteriorPanelInstall4.htm

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

Yes No Thank
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Avatar
Growling-Grinnall-V8 Alastair Campbell
Portadown, Northern Ireland, UK   GBR
I've just bought the overpriced tool....

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster