Hissing noise

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
Hello I have a 1982 Triumoh Tr8. Yesterday i heard a small hissing noise coming from the engine. It is not coolant as I am running Evans waterless coolant. The idle is fine and steady at 900 and the performance is electric all through to top speeds.

I cheched all hoses and everything seemed ok. I put my head near the plenum chamber which was rhe area where the noise was the loudest.

Cannot hear when driving. Only att idle with the hood up.

Maybe it has been there always but I dont think so.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Andrew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
Brake booster? Does it change when brakes are applied? Our 81 has a leak in the booster...hisses

Az7fan Avatar
Az7fan Paul Dorman
Tempe, AZ, USA   USA
That is what mine was...the pesky brake booster..thumbs up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
No change to sound when brakes are pressed. My booster war rebuilt less than a year ago.

Still searching for source of noise. I have a friend coming with a stethoscope this weekend. Hopefully we can find it then.

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Well its great to have a father in law who is a retired Triumph Leyland mechanic with over 50 years experience. New injectors new plugs. Hissing sound gone and the car is now scary fast. Best part it only cost me parts no labour charges.

bcbennett Avatar
bcbennett Gold Member Brad B
Abilene, TX, USA   USA
Is your father-in-law available for a long road trip to all of our various garages this summer? No hotel bills and all the food/drink he can handle. drinking smiley

Brad

Andrew1966 Andrew Ward
Hello Brad. Unfortunately my father in law holds a British passport and a Canadian one. Therefore he is not legally allowed to work in the USA either paid or unpaid.

He is also 76 now so is slowing down a bit. I would not still own my 1982 TR8 if it was not for him.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster