Heater Core Questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
I am sure this has been addressed numerous times but maybe not in such order. (1) Can an A/C equipped TR7 Heater Core Assembly be replaced with a Non-A/C Heater Core Assembly as I have removed all A/C equipment and would like to remove the leaking A/C Heater Core Assembly? (2) If item 1 is yes, where can I purchase a total Non-A/C unit? I do not want to put in another total unit that will leak after I have concluded the dash on / dash off / dash on exercise. (3) I am looking for a total heater for assembly to replace my existing leaking unit minus the A/C in good condition any leads? (4) At present, I have taken the heater assembly out of the equation by bypassing the assembly, but at some time in my life I would like to have heat in the car. Thank you for the read.

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
New non AC cores are available from Rimmers and probably others. You could also make a universal one from Summit work. Either way, you are going to have to remove the entire heater matrix assembly to work on it. This means pulling the dash, There are dozens of rivets holding the entire heater box together. I have two entire heater assemblies sitting in the scrap pile next to the garage. Not sure if they are AC or non AC, but I can take pictures and measurements if you need them. If you were closer you could come snag one to play with. They are about the size and weight of a microwave.

Yes No Thank
sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
I have put a heater core from a VW Jetta in a couple of non-AC heater matrices. It drops in almost perfectly and I've been running the one in my current car for a couple of years with no trouble. The pics are a little grainy, but the details are here:

http://tr7triumph.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21010&p=230548&hilit=heater+core#p230548

I don't know if the universal ones from Summit are cheaper.

Brent

Yes No Thank
MGBLEguy Ben L
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Hi Folks
Does anyone have measurements and photos of a heater matrix/core for a 1980 Tr7 with factory air condition?
Cheers Ben

Yes No Thank
1900Mark Mark Senter
Troy, OH, USA   USA
I am restoring a 79 TR7. Previous owner pulled AC stuff from engine but not from under dash I suspect. I fear rhat only water was last run through heater unit and was allowed to freeze. So and pic/diageams of Acheater cores or just heater core is helpful. What are the differances between the 2 units. I see Rimmers Brothers has heater cores are they rhe same as AC under dash units?

Yes No Thank
helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Mark

I am a owner of a 79 TR7 with A/C. My A/C was a total disaster so I removed the A/C. So I decided to have the radiator done, it was after that, that issues began. Bottom line my radiator guy had no issue building me a new core BUT BUT BUT the valve that regulates the on/off of the heater core was leaking into the cockpit, drivers side inboard next to the gas pedal.

So my radiator guy said need to replace the valve ---0h oh oh -- guess what - valve no can do, no can buy and a used one will trust me will leak why - because it is just as old as yours.

Solution you might ask - the lines can be routed to provide heat at the core but yours truly done cut the lines man does my sawzall kicks butt. and now I cannot route the lines.

So find a good radiator man have him rebuild the core reroute the lines set up a copnfiguration different than you have,

A good radiator/heater man can do that given you have your entire dash out of the car.

Or find a non A/C heater assembly and install the total assembly into the spot.

Done I do good!!!!!

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1598375 by 1900Mark I am restoring a 79 TR7. Previous owner pulled the AC stuff from engine, but not from under dash I suspect. I fear that only water was last run through heater unit and was allowed to freeze. So a pic/diagram of a heater core would be helpful. What are the differences between the 2 units? I see Rimmer Brothers has heater cores, are they the same as AC under dash units?

The AC heater cores and the non-AC cores cannot be interchanged. The AC heater core is unobtanium, so you will need to find a service to rebuild it. Such services do exist.

You will need to tear down the heater to get at the core, which involves drilling out many pop rivets. Trust me, you want to do this. All the foam damper gaskets in your heater have long since crumbled into dust, and need to be replaced. In addition, the coolant valve that regulates the temperature is on the verge of leaking, if it has not already started to do so, and the heater motor badly needs to be lubricated. The hoses are all rotten and are ready to burst as well.

In short, your 40 year old heater is in desperate need of a rebuild. I turned on the heater in the Great Pumpkin for the first time, and proceeded to barf up a lung after inhaling a cloud of gasket dust that blew into my face. <cough, cough>

The valve can be rebuilt using a Balkamp kit from Nappa, The damper gaskets are simple peel and stick foam sheet, and can be made using a pair of scissors. The hose bits are off the shelf heater hose from your FLAPS.

You can do this, and sooner or later you will realize that you want to do this.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Since it's still to cold to roll the wedge outdoor to shoot some primer I'm still doing needed bits. I haven't worked up enough "WANT TO" yet....but I'm getting closer. The "NEED TO" happened a long time before I bought this pig. I have read the article in the Wedge Owners site a couple of times and have drawn the following conclusions....taking it apart...easy...... Taking it apart without damaging anything.....not so much. Putting it back together.....again easy..... putting it back together correctly...again not so much. Right not I'm try to grasp the theory of both the Ranco valve and it's purpose. I'm also wondering what I'm going to do about the heater core bushing when it comes time for reassembly. There is another assembly in the parts car but those of you who have removed one know how much fun that is. smoking smiley

Attachments:
IMG_3265.JPG    42.1 KB
IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG    64 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3249.JPG    60.1 KB
IMG_3271.JPG    54.5 KB
Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1598558 by LaVerne Since it's still to cold to roll the wedge outdoor to shoot some primer I'm still doing needed bits. I haven't worked up enough "WANT TO" yet....but I'm getting closer. The "NEED TO" happened a long time before I bought this pig. I have read the article in the Wedge Owners site a couple of times and have drawn the following conclusions....taking it apart...easy...... Taking it apart without damaging anything.....not so much. Putting it back together.....again easy..... putting it back together correctly...again not so much. Right not I'm try to grasp the theory of both the Ranco valve and it's purpose. I'm also wondering what I'm going to do about the heater core bushing when it comes time for reassembly. There is another assembly in the parts car but those of you who have removed one know how much fun that is. smoking smiley

The Ranco Valve needs to be rebuilt, as I mentioned there is a Balkamp kit available for the rebuilt so no problems. Yeah, it is a bit fiddly, but at least the parts exist to get it done.

As to the heater core bushing, they are unobtanium, but mine was in decent condition. So I gave it a generous coat of Permatex non-hardening form-a-gasket. In two years, no leaks. So far, so good. Another lister reported using Hylomar, which failed after a few months. I had given up on Hylomar a long time ago, not tenacious enough to suit me. I have been very happy with the non-hardening permatex. It is stinky, but cleans up with lacquer thinner, and gives an excellent seal on gaskets, flanges, etc.

I have found that the hardening version of form-a-gasket makes disassembly too difficult should the need arise. So if you wish to try it, be certain it is the non-hardening variety.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why the ranco valve instead of a simpler valve. I think I get the principle of its function with the water control for heater temp, but whats the relationship with the air conditioning evaporator ?

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links