Headlight running backwards

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hemishepherd Michael Wallner
Waukesha, WI, USA   USA
I was doing some work on a sticky headlight. I had some spare headlight motors and swapped out the one I had. I'm this process I also swapped the wiring as the spare had a broken diode in it. Put the head light back in
It goes up when it is supposed to go down and down when it should be up.
Put the old motor back in, same thing....
Anyone know what I did wrong here?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1596010 by Hemishepherd I was doing some work on a sticky headlight. I had some spare headlight motors and swapped out the one I had. I'm this process I also swapped the wiring as the spare had a broken diode in it. Put the head light back in
It goes up when it is supposed to go down and down when it should be up.
Put the old motor back in, same thing....
Anyone know what I did wrong here?

There are limit switches that disconnect the power from the motor when it reaches the up or down position. One switch disconnects the power for the up position, the other for the down position.

Off hand, I would say that you got the leads for the limit switches swapped when you reworked the wiring. The motor only runs in one direction, so it is not the power leads that got swapped.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

HowardB Avatar
HowardB Howard Brissenden
Potton, Bedfordshire, UK   GBR
Swap over the Blue/Light Green & Brown/Light Green wires from the motors. It is confusing as they connected to Blue/Purple & Blue/Brown from the switch respectively. Also carefully check the earth connections on the units - they are not all shown on the Triumph Circuit diagrams. Somewhere on this forum is a link to some new schematic drawings with a detailed explanation of how it works,

I am currently updating them so not going to repost here. Original post is here UK 81 wiring diagram. (original draft)

Cheers

Howard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 12:40 PM by HowardB.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster