AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
It was a good day today. I think I resolved two nagging problems.

The first one was that I had convinced myself that my transmission was leaking from the front. To make it worse, the fluid would end up on the exhaust pipes, so besides the drips, there was smell. Before I committed to dropping the trans, I decided to get definitive proof, and put some UV dye in the gearbox. But while I was under the car doing that, I noticed oil all along the left side of the engine, all the way up to the oil pump housing. I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, but I tightened up everything I could. I was able to get about a half turn on the cap of the pressure relief valve, All of the rest seemed OK. So I cleaned up the mess as best I could. That was last week, and after a few drives it seems to be solved. And nothing lighting up under the UV light.

The second item was a fuel leak. I had initially noticed this from the undercoating melting on the left front corner (outside) of the boot. I could see where the gas ended up, but never any evidence where it was starting. Of course, it is hard to see up in that area. I had tried tightening the filler clamps, but that didn't seem to resolve it. I finally looked at the hose from the vent to the vapor separator. There were two cracks in the lowest point of the hose. So the fuel, probably mostly right after a fill up, would leak directly out of the hose and down onto the body. Which would explain why there wasn't any trail where the leak was started. So I replaced that hose today, filled the tank up good, and did some additional hard cornering to make sure I was getting fuel into the vent. No sign on any leak! Might help fuel economy a bit as well.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
rbaron Avatar
rbaron Roger Baron
Fort Mill, SC, USA   USA
Have a similar oil leak to the one you are describing that I have been unable to nail down. Will check the tightness of the fasteners around the oil pump. Would you mind providing more info on the UV dye and the type lamp you use?

Thanks -- Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 07:45 AM by rbaron.

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1602214 by rbaron Have a similar oil leak to the one you are describing that I have been unable to nail down. Will check the tightness of the fasteners around the oil pump. Would you mind providing more info on the UV dye and the type lamp you use?

Thanks -- Roger

Hi Roger,

There are several versions of the UV dye available, I purchased this one from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B57Q5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are also water soluble versions for coolant leaks.

I have a small flashlight style UV light (LED). This is the one I have, looks like it isn't available right now, but you can find plenty of alternatives:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUCDX5I/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Yes No Thank
rbaron Avatar
rbaron Roger Baron
Fort Mill, SC, USA   USA
Thanks! Will update if I get any interesting results.

Yes No Thank
Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve W
Buckeye, AZ, USA   USA
I've got a fuel leak very similar sounding to yours whenever I fill the tank over 3/4 full. Pretty sure it's related to that vapor separator somehow.
Reading your post inspired me to sort it out once and for all.
Thank you !

Yes No Thank
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Here is a picture of the hose I replaced. From what you could see from the hatch in the boot, it looked OK, and there isn't any way to see the bottom from under the car. But once it was out it was obvious what the problem was.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0594.jpeg    32.2 KB
IMG_0594.jpeg

Yes No Thank
dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
Whether injected or carb engine, and TR7 or TR8, we all have the same potential problem. These cars are over 30 years old so those hoses are all likely in similar shape! Yes, I already had to do this same hose for my 1979 TR8 Coupe. It's when you walk into the garage in the dead of winter and you can smell gasoline... huh? And of course there are no wet spots under the car. The hose on my car was even more crumbly than yours.

I certainly recognize that hose and its condition. Been there, and done that! For anybody looking for a small project, or those of you in northern climates itching to get driving again, do this inspection and replacement now while the car is stuck in the garage!

Yes No Thank
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
Replaced every single hose/fuel line/breather tube on the TR8 whether it looked OK or not.

Will be pulling the motor on the Sprint replica this summer, and plan on doing the same thing on it.

40 year old hoses are not pretty, even if they haven't failed they are very gnarly and at their end of life. Replacing them is part of living with a 40 yer old car.

Finding some of the molded bits is difficult, but the worst case is to use a straight hose and put a spring inside so it doesn't kink.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster