Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
I have looked at the ROM on how to remove the fume filter that is located at the access panel for the filler tube, with no success. Do you need to access the the rear bulkhead from the cabin compartment? Does it ever clog and need cleaned?

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
LaVerne Avatar
LaVerne LaVerne Downey
Fruita, CO, USA   USA
1954 MG TF "Green Hornet"
1969 MG MGB
1979 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
I'm guessing you are talking about this. It was a real struggle to remove without destroying it. Involved a couple of screw drivers, some needle nose pliers, hand mirror and flashlight to squeeze/push the tabs in to remove. I can't see any need to remove it unless you were doing a complete respray.

Attachments:
IMG_1052.JPG    41.3 KB
IMG_1052.JPG

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Silver Member Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Yes, that is what I was talking about. Unless I have my carbon canisters connected I get a little gasoline smell in the garage and wondered if this filter was working correctly. Thanks for letting me know that you do not need to remove the rear bulkhead panel to access a bolt or screw.

In reply to # 1594203 by LaVerne I'm guessing you are talking about this. It was a real struggle to remove without destroying it. Involved a couple of screw drivers, some needle nose pliers, hand mirror and flashlight to squeeze/push the tabs in to remove. I can't see any need to remove it unless you were doing a complete respray.

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
TWOA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1594213 by Pat.L Yes, that is what I was talking about. Unless I have my carbon canisters connected I get a little gasoline smell in the garage and wondered if this filter was working correctly. Thanks for letting me know that you do not need to remove the rear bulkhead panel to access a bolt or screw.

It isn't a filter, it is a vapor trap. It is designed to keep liquid fuel from venting into the carbon canisters. Vapor will still vent. The purpose of the carbon canisters is to trap that vapor, then release into the intake when the engine is running.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1594213 by Pat.L Yes, that is what I was talking about. Unless I have my carbon canisters connected I get a little gasoline smell in the garage and wondered if this filter was working correctly. Thanks for letting me know that you do not need to remove the rear bulkhead panel to access a bolt or screw.

That is what the carbon canisters are supposed to do - trap fumes and prevent them from stinking up the air we breath. The filter at the rear bulkhead serves another purpose. I replaced mine when I resprayed the car - just because.

If you do not wish to have your car stink up the garage, leave the carbon canisters connected as they do serve a useful purpose.

We have been spoiled by clean modern cars that do not spray oil on the roads nor stink up our garages with noxious fumes, so we really notice when something is amiss on our wedges.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

navydiver Rob Cornick
san diego, CA, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR7 "The Pumpkin"
1977 Triumph TR7
1978 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR7 "The Plum"    & more
could also be that your carbon filters are full of fuel, not good. they can be drained and blown through with an airline, i actually separated one of mine and repacked it with fresh carbon, the old stuff worked really well for lighting the BBQ.
r
Rob

1975 TR7 FHC Ca Spec ACL 4spd
1976 TR7 FHC Ca Spec 4 spd (Temp add)
1977 TR7 FHC ACW 5Spd
1978 TR8 DHC ACT FI development car 5 Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd
1981 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster