Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
So the rookie needs some advice.

How difficult is it to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets?

Is there any tricks I need to know to do it?

When undone, does the exhaust system drop and will I have difficulty lifting it back to the manifold?

Should I use some type of tacky substance to hold the gaskets in place while I tighten the bolts?

Need all the help I get.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
TR7 or TR8?

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Yeh, that would help. 1979 TR7.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
I just did mine. I do have headers though. The exhaust manifold, if still connected to the rest of the exhaust system, shouldn’t drop not more than a 1/4”. You will have about 1/2”-1” gap to work with.
I heavily coated both sides of the gaskets with the copper gasket spray. Let it dry. Slide one gasket in at a time and while holding it in place, install the upper bolt a couple of threads. Repeat for the other 2, then install the lower bolds a couple threads until all are in. Then tighten. After it warms up and cool enough to touch. Retighten all bolts again.
The copper spray is a little tacky, but brushing on the other tacky gasket sealant will make a huge mess.
Good luck,

Chris

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
So as I understand your procedure the bolts threaded in the exhaust side holds the gasket in place.

How tough is it to lift the exhaust side to the manifold while at the same time lighting the bolts?

Did yo go under the car for the bottom bolts or was all work performed topside?

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I do not think I would use a sealer on exhaust gaskets. A good way to keep the individual gaskets in place is with cheap hardware store bolts - very easy to work with. Simply cut the head off the appropriately threaded bolt and cut a screw driver slot in the one end. other end gets screwed into head. The temporary 'studs' you just made locates the gaskets and once the manifold is slipped up and over them the 'studs' can removed in turn with a screw driver and replaced one at at time with the bolts. Apparently there is limited space to work with so the 'studs' will need to be short. They don't have to go into the head very far. - Pete

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster