AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Cedar Falls, IA, USA   USA
Calling all Rover V8 Wizards:
I'm currently draining the coolant in my '81 TR8. I have drained the radiator and found the coolant drain cock on the passenger side of the engine. Is there a drain cock on the driver's side? Blindly reaching up under the exhaust manifold did not reveal anything...I'm doing this from top down orientation..

Thanks all,
Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Mr. Nuts Avatar
Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
Yes, one on each side. The one on the left is further back than the right side. So, if you are feeling around the center of the block, it's not there.

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
Thanks Mr. Nuts - found it.
(Figures that it would be Mr. Nuts to help me feel around and find my drain cock - smiling bouncing smiley)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
If the drain taps won't actually open as designed (could be rusted solid), you can unscrew the whole brass valve assembly from the block with an open wrench! Then just add some teflon tape or other thread sealer to stop leaking when you attach it back on.

Carb-Dave Avatar
Carb-Dave Dave Mundt
In reply to # 1590758 by dhuddleson If the drain taps won't actually open as designed (could be rusted solid), you can unscrew the whole brass valve assembly from the block with an open wrench! Then just add some teflon tape or other thread sealer to stop leaking when you attach it back on.

Actually, I was lucky and broke them loose with a little persuasion from some pliers. Seems like 38 years of oil seepage kept them from seizing up. The car has about 134,000 miles and, to my knowledge, the engine has never been taken out - or at least appears not to have.

Carb-Dave (now EFI-Dave)

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1590758 by dhuddleson If the drain taps won't actually open as designed (could be rusted solid), you can unscrew the whole brass valve assembly from the block with an open wrench! Then just add some teflon tape or other thread sealer to stop leaking when you attach it back on.

The petcocks on my TR8 looked like they had been opened with the aid of a chain saw. Found identical petcocks at the local hardware store for a few dollars each.

They were similar to all the bent pulleys that resulted from being used as pry points. The PS pulley was replaced with a new one from Summit, the crank pulley got replaced with a used one from a Land Rover.

If your petcocks and other engine fittings had not been trashed by your PO, then you are a fortunate soul.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster