Electronic ignition/voltage regulator situation

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wedgeguy Dennis R.
Canadian Lks., Mi., USA   USA
My recent 1980 TR 7 engine/trans purchase came with the Delco-Remy Series D302 electronic ignition distributor, but no coil or voltage regulator.
I am told that this car used a combination ignition coil and electronic module assembly, instead of a conventional coil. Apparently, this module is no longer made.
My questions:
Would it be wise to find a used module, if so where?
Could I convert to a normal coil set-up?
There are after-market electronic ignition kits out there that come with a coil and can be installed in the existing distributor.One from England that is actually affordable "Accu-spark Steath". Would this system work?
If a voltage regulator should be used.....where is to be mounted?
Appreciate u r help with this matter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Is this what your module looks like ?

Attachments:
module.jpg    17.7 KB
module.jpg

wedgeguy Dennis R.
Thanks for the pic, but I dont think that is the unit i m after. What I need i a combination coil/igniter that works with the Delco-Remy electronic distributor in cettain 1980 TR 7's, and mounts somewhere on the firewall- near the brake cylinder valves (driver's side). There is a pic of in the Haynes manual- supplement section at the end of the book/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR7Mark Mark Lalinsky
Dearborn, MI, USA   USA
This should help you.

Attachments:
Delco_Electronic_Ignition.pdf    1.8 MB

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Dennis,

I don't have the Haynes but now I know which unit. Also it's been a while since I've been under the hood of a late model TR-7 and my memoy is vague on this. I have never seen a Canadian example, that I know of.

I think you are referring to the black finned box about 2 or 3 inches square by an inch tall with a long lead and 3 wire connector. The amplifier ?

Or are you referring to the coil that has the large wire going to the center terminal of the distributor cap ?

Or are you referring to a coil that looks like an electonic transformer with an iron core made up of square laminated plates and the large wire to the distributor cap ?

TR7Mark Mark Lalinsky
Dearborn, MI, USA   USA
Illustrations are from my Haynes manual. I believe the set up shown in fig 13.11 is (or can be replaced by) a D525 coil and a D1906 module.

Attachments:
D302.jpeg    31.6 KB
D302.jpeg

Coil and Ignition Module.jpeg    56.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR7Mark Mark Lalinsky
Dearborn, MI, USA   USA
My module wiring.

Attachments:
Module Wiring.jpeg    10.7 KB
Module Wiring.jpeg

wedgeguy Dennis R.
A big thanks to TR7Mark and Tirebiter: I tried to send u PM's but couldn't attach the foto of the part in question.

The diagram of the "Coil and Module Assembly" posted by Mark in the forum (the one with the big black arrow,) is indeed the module I M looking for. It works with the Delco-Remy D 302 Electronic Ignition Distributor, which I have.
I believe that it is much simpler for me to find and use this module at this time, than to get creative with other parts.
Later, I can use a replacement system if this doesn't work out.

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Dennis,

I'm not 100% positive about this but I think the D1906 module (that Mark posted a sketch of) is mounted inside the black finned box which is attached to the coil. It is the same module that is used in some of the General Motors HEI (High Energy Ignition) systems. It mounts inside the distributor in GM vehicles.

I believe the coil itself is also the same as for an HEI system. GM originally mounted the HEI coil on the distrbutor cap but then made it a remote mount like what is in the later TR-7s and is showing in the Haynes manual.

If I am remembering correctly the GM module and coil can be mounted into place and they do the job as if it was a part made for Triumph. Getting the exact frame that the coil mounts to and the black finned box that the module mounts inside of would be from a used Triumph part. It is slightly different than what can be bought for mounting the GM ignition systems but all it does is hold the coil and module to the car. It is not critical to exactly match the original mounting ... unless you are going for an original look.

It would be electrically equivalent and connects just as the stock components do.

tirebiter Jeff Garber
Dighton, MA, USA   USA
Dennis,

Here is another diagram that may help if you decide to try to fabricate a replace coil/module assembly:

Attachments:
coil and module.jpg    26.7 KB
coil and module.jpg

Reytorr Reinaldo Torres
Cúcuta, Norte de Santander, Colombia   COL
Hi, i used this Chevy ignition module, work fine On mu tiger TR6R

tr3a7n8 Avatar
tr3a7n8 Roy Gay
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
Dennis:
I have the part ( D-302) you were looking for. I have a 1981 TR-7 FI Auto and purchased an extra several years ago. for the right price it's yours
email me at siouxme@myway.com. I accept paypal
Roy

sportscarbill Bill Holben
Missoula, MT, USA   USA
Hi Roy--

I just picked up on this blog from a few years ago. I'm just curious if you still have the Delco ignition coil pack (and hopefully the high tension lead to the distributor) for the 1980 TR7 that you mentioned in your post back then. Please let me know if it's available and the asking price. I'd assume that it will come with some guarantee of functionality given that it's an electronic component.

I look forward to hearing back from you,
sportscarbill

Mr. Nuts Avatar
Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
You can get a very similar coil/module out of a Fiat that also will work. It's a 79-85 Fiat 124 Convertible Spider 2000 Ignition Coil. They are on ebay from time to time for silly cheap money. Some even say it's an "upgrade", and more dependable.

This one is a little high, but, I've seen them for less than $40

https://www.ebay.com/itm/79-85-Fiat-124-Convertible-Ignition-Coil-Complete-Assembly-With-Bracket-G357/173638035818?hash=item286da2296a:rk:15:pf:0

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead "The Great Pumpkin"
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1592932 by sportscarbill Hi Roy--

I just picked up on this blog from a few years ago. I'm just curious if you still have the Delco ignition coil pack (and hopefully the high tension lead to the distributor) for the 1980 TR7 that you mentioned in your post back then. Please let me know if it's available and the asking price. I'd assume that it will come with some guarantee of functionality given that it's an electronic component.

I look forward to hearing back from you,
sportscarbill

Bill:

This is the replacement, available new from Amazon: UF-88.

It uses the standard high tension lead, but requires replacement of the connectors to the low voltage side. Standard automotive spade lug connectors work just fine, and you may need to extend the wires a couple of inches as the low voltage connections are in a slightly different position from the original coil.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, frame off restoration, complete.
1980 Vermilion TR7 Sprint replica, in progress.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links